Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 38 Short Colt in a J Frame

You weren't looking for a lever,...but I saw a nice older Navy Arms 38 spl 1866 rifle copy (octagon barrel) recently that looked like it would be a fun plinker. A bit heavy, but nice.

I have thought about a Contender but that might be a slippery slope. I could see picking up all kinds of obscure barrels and dies if I owned one of those.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Velo Dog View Post
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/16...ead-round-nose

This Magtech round uses a short case to propel a 125 gr lead round nose at 686 fps for 130 ft. lbs. of muzzle energy.
    Thanks for that link. There's even a few reviews from folks using them in their J Frames.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastex View Post
    I have thought about a Contender but that might be a slippery slope. I could see picking up all kinds of obscure barrels and dies if I owned one of those.
    It usually ends up that way. Even though I have a .357 barrel I found myself looking at a custom .38 barrel because...that's what you do when you have a Contender.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    It usually ends up that way. Even though I have a .357 barrel I found myself looking at a custom .38 barrel because...that's what you do when you have a Contender.
    I had an Encore, and you start convincing yourself a 17 Ackley Hornet would be really cool.

I sold mine but started browsing them again just the other day.

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    I had an Encore, and you start convincing yourself a 17 Ackley Hornet would be really cool.
    That's exactly what I'm afraid of! Ever since my friend/pusher gave me a old single stage reloading press I'm looking at all kinds of calibers I would have never thought twice about.

Banned

38 short colt.

A 38 Short Colt loaded with 4 grains of Universal and a 105 grain Semi wad cutter will clock in at about 1,000 + FPS..Fortunecookie45LC has a video on Youtube with them in a 6 inch Ruger Blackhawk, and the burn was better than a 38 spec factory load...Link follows..
    https://youtu.be/lJJ3T2HgJiE..relativly low pressure and recoil. I'm pretty sure a j frame could use it, as could any solid frame revolver.

https://youtu.be/ybNbAds0-DI
    [ chrono Results]

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    You weren't looking for a lever,...but I saw a nice older Navy Arms 38 spl 1866 rifle copy (octagon barrel) recently that looked like it would be a fun plinker. A bit heavy, but nice.
    When I lived in Tucson I had a friend who owned one of those. Every time he fired it it put a smile on his face. We used to go to the desert or mountains and bust rocks. He didn't bust many with his 66 but he loved to elevate the ladder rear sight and hit small boulders at 100+ yards.

Eastex, when I think of the 38 Short Colt or the 38 S&W I think of them as black powder rounds. I used to load a 38 S&W with that propellant and you can't stuff enough FFFg into that one, or probably the SC either, to over load it. That would be a hoot out of a J-frame...until you had to clean it. Then it gets messy.

Dave

Banned

38 short colt.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
    When I lived in Tucson I had a friend who owned one of those. Every time he fired it it put a smile on his face. We used to go to the desert or mountains and bust rocks. He didn't bust many with his 66 but he loved to elevate the ladder rear sight and hit small boulders at 100+ yards.

Eastex, when I think of the 38 Short Colt or the 38 S&W I think of them as black powder rounds. I used to load a 38 S&W with that propellant and you can't stuff enough FFFg into that one, or probably the SC either, to over load it. That would be a hoot out of a J-frame...until you had to clean it. Then it gets messy.

Dave
    AH..but for a connisuer, cleaning's half the fun...
    MD13A

Site Supporter
    I agree but it's dang hard to convince the uninitiated of that. (smiley face goes here)

Dave

User Tag List