Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Struggle with DUI suspect leaves deputy without an eye

Site Supporter

Struggle with DUI suspect leaves deputy without an eye

Struggle with DUI suspect leaves deputy without an eye

A scuffle with a drunken driving suspect in Arizona left a sheriff's deputy without his left eye, investigators said Sunday.

Pima County deputies had handcuffed 28-year-old Yesennia Gonzalez, but she put up a fight as they tried getting her into a patrol car in Tucson on Saturday, Fox 10 reported.

She deliberately kicked Traffic Unit Sgt. Mark Bustamante in his eye with her boot's heel, investigators said, adding that doctors could not repair the damage

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/12/12...thout-eye.html

That's too sad for words. My heart goes out to that officer.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

She'll get some serious probation...
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

This is why I was on the "act like a man, get hit like a man" program. A majority of the injuries to officers I saw over the years were inflicted by women where less force than what was reasonable and appropriate was used due to their gender. This proved to be a bad decision most of the time. When you are putting cuff's on, they are no longer "a lady", they are a crook.....and should be treated as such.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    This is why I was on the "act like a man, get hit like a man" program.
    Word.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

That poor officer, I am so sorry to hear about this.

I remember when I was under the UCMJ, there was an article for maiming. Do the Georgia criminal statues have something similar, where the punishment would be appropriate to the crime?

There was a barracks fight where a dude lost a couple of fingers, and the punishment was correspondingly severe.

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post

I remember when I was under the UCMJ, there was an article for maiming. Do the Georgia criminal statues have something similar, where the punishment would be appropriate to the crime?

There was a barracks fight where a dude lost a couple of fingers, and the punishment was correspondingly severe.
    I have found that unless an officer is killed, nobody gives a crap and it is almost accepted that no one in the CJ system will consider you a victim. The only "Justice" will be whatever happens during the altercation itself.

Also, injured in the line of duty officers immediately become the recipient of an adversarial relationship with the government agency they work for. Their own people will use endless resources to ensure they receive the most minimal support possible. They could care less about the crook, their own officer is now the person who will receive the full weight of the government as the "enemy". It is one of the dirtiest little secrets of cop work.
    Last edited by Dagga Boy; 12-12-2016 at 06:41 PM.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post

There is nothing like that in Arizona Title 13. In fact if Pima County is anything like Maricopa Aggravated Assault on LE is not filed as a felony unless there is some type of injury. It's "charging standards" at the County Attorney's Office. The ARS statute says nothing about injury.

Pima County and Tucson are Arizona's Austin. My bet is she'll get some jail time and probation unless she has prior felony convictions. Another dirty secret of law enforcement is how County Attornies low ball charges when the victim is a cop.

Hopefully she has something to go after financially but probably not.

Until someone has actually fought a female who's 5'02" 90 pounds (usually) blonde and spun on meth they have no concept of the amount of force needed. It's like trying to put a wildcat in a sack!
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Loss of an eye would be great bodily harm in MN (1st degree assault); not sure of the language in other state's statutes. We've actually had pretty good luck in our assault-on-police charges.

I wear eye pro when I do surgery. I have seen pictures of soldiers in Iraq/AFG wear eye pro when they are out on patrol. Do LEO ever wear eye pro beyond corrective lenses? All of the potential to contact bodily fluids let alone trauma would make it seem a good idea.

User Tag List