Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: .22LR optic

I have a Mueller APV 4.5-14x40mm on my .22LR that I use to shoot steel 7.62x39 cases at 100yds.

See - http://muelleroptics.com/mapv451440

$110.00 at Amazon - https://www.amazon.com/Mueller-Rifle.../dp/B000SULCTA

Site Supporter
    The old '70s Weaver V22 that was on my Remington 511 died and was replaced by a Cabela's 2x7 rimfire scope for around eighty bucks. Mounted it and promptly shot a 1/4 inch group at twenty five yards with standard velocity Remington ammo from the '60s. Very pleased.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    I just picked up the Bushy AR 2-7 with 22LR reticle.
    http://bushnell.com/tactical/riflesc...tics/2-7x-32mm

It is certainly not as refined of an optic as I am usually accustomed to, but the price was right (right around $100 shipped on Amazon I think).
    It's a little heavy at 19.6oz, as its main competitor (for my application) was the Leupy Ultralight 2-7x at 8.5oz.
    In the end, cost and BDC won over weight and refinement. But, it's going on a S&W M&P 15/22 for the kid's riflecraft progression and future use for walkin' around and schwacking stuff.

I mounted it in an Aero Precision 1" Ultralight mount:
    http://aeroprecisionusa.com/ultralig...ope-mount.html
    Doing it again, I would opt for the SPR version;
    http://aeroprecisionusa.com/ultralig...ope-mount.html
    as the available mounting space on the optic tube is just about equal to the length of the mount. Pushing the optic a little more forward would also be a little better for head positioning.

Will report back.
    Just got back from ~150 round session at the local public range.
    Zeroed at 50 yards, per instructions to zero main crosshair at 50 for the BDC to on for standard velocity ammo. I was previously shooting CCI HV, but went to CCI Standard velocity along with some Geco and Federal Match that I have a decent quantity of on-hand.

Had the kid confirm zero at 50, and then sent him on to crush clays on the berm by using the second dot in the BDC.

Confirmed on paper at 100 that the BDC was good to go, and compared the POI of the three types of ammo (which were all good enough to hold 10 ring of a B8 at 100 by simply holding the second dot).

Parallax adjustment was good, adjustment values were good (I didn't bother with a box test since I'm not dialing anything), focus wasn't too fine, and I had no indications of POI shift. The FOV isn't great, but the kid didn't have an issue with it (he's 7), and getting eye relief wasn't an issue.

It required about 45 seconds of instruction for my boy to adequately grasp hold-over for 25-125 yard rimfire shooting.

So far, I rate the optic highly for the purpose, and would purchase again.
    I would still have preferred to have used the Aero SPR mount over the standard version that I purchased, but not enough to replace it.
    Director Of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company

Good enough endorsement for me.......

Maybe after Christmas. Toss it on my 6.5" M&P 15/22. Thanks Jack!
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean M View Post
    Good enough endorsement for me.......

Maybe after Christmas. Toss it on my 6.5" M&P 15/22. Thanks Jack!
    Man, that would be a heavy optic on a 6.5" tube...

I think it looks like a very good option for a kids 22, but the weight has me worried about how it will affect the balance of the gun, especially such a light one like the M&P 1522. F2S?

Bing that short it should settle in pretty much centered over the center of gravity....... and just because I'm retiring and eating like shit so I can get fat doesn't mean I'll stop going to the gym. I just won't do cardio anymore, but I still lift!
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

If it's that integrally suppressed gun, I don't think it would be too far out of place.
    That said, the lightweight Leupy is awesomely light.
    Director Of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company

JC,

These are probably to much scope for your scout and what you are going to do with it, but I thought I would post the info anyway in case someone else searches for .22 optics in the future:
    https://www.tractoptics.com/products...es?category=28

They have a 3-9x42 and a 4-12x42 for $174 and $194 respectively. Tract sells direct, and also through Amazon (some items are prime eligible). The company was founded by a couple of ex Nikon folks.

I wound up taking my own advice and bought another 452 while I still could (threaded American), so was doing a little research on scopes. I like the fact these have covered turrets, but they are finger adjustable. BDC or crosshair reticles available. I'm thinking of putting the 4-12 on my original American, and my 3-9 Luepold on the threaded one.

Quote Originally Posted by jc000 View Post
    Good thoughts, appreciate it. The (supposed) primary users of this rifle are my young sons, so I kinda feel like a basic fixed optic would really be the easiest option for them. I'm a little surprised to see the suggestion for greater than 9x magnification at 100 yards. I've always felt 4x was quite adequate for midrange shooting. I'd be curious to hear that expanded upon.

As far as the irons go, yes, I'd like them to be able to use them well, but I do find that they're a little limiting. We'll continue to shoot it with the irons, but I think a scope will add to the fun factor which is really what it's about (for me). I need to do a bit more testing but the rifle's accuracy appears a bit worse that expected, at least in my hands.

I appreciate the thoughts so far.
    First, I've got Nikon BDCs on three different rimfire rifles and one Do-All Remington 700 LTR that is in my work car for SHTFRB, stuffed with TAP 110s.

The one that gets the most use is on a Savage threaded rifle that I put in a custom finished Tacticool w DIP bottom metal and rail. The Spot-On program works very well, and I have no problem popping suburban crows out to 100 yards with it suppressed.

I'm thinking the EFR might be my next purchase.

For training youngsters, switch them to reactive targets quickly. Nothing keeps their interest up in shooting as much as Kinetic Energy displays. I used to let mine pop those half-cans of cheap orange Wally World cola with Stingers, they loved it.

A great family project could be going through the Appleseed Program with them. Something they didn't have when mine were little but hoping to take my grandson in just a few years.

Name:  Backyard Suppression.jpg
Views: 390
Size:  100.2 KB
    Last edited by coldcase1984; 12-28-2016 at 12:02 PM.
    "Backstabbers and window-lickers rise to the top of human organizations like oxygen-rich turds in a champagne fountain. I suspect it's been that way since at least the Bronze Age." _ Me. 2016

User Tag List