Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wilson Combat 9mm commander with FTF issues but only Winchester NATO 9mm.

Wilson Combat 9mm commander with FTF issues but only Winchester NATO 9mm.

I'm at a little over 1000rds. into my Wilson Combat 9mm commander 1911. I have run PMC 115gr., Federal AE 115gr., Federal AE 124gr., UMC 115gr. And Winchester 124gr. NATO ball. Out of four range sessions I
    Have had 3 failures to go into full battery. All 3 have required a light slide tap to seat the round and all is well. All 3 have been while shooting the Winchester NATO 124gr. All other brands and weights have been flawless.
    All mags are Wilson 9mm ETM 10rd and are new with gun.
    So I am ruling out a magazine issue due to it happening with different mags and intervals during range sessions. Once from loading top round from slide lock on previous session prior to today. Happened twice today during feeding both required slide tap. Continued rest of session today shooting an additional 200rds. Of UMC and Federal AE 124gr. without issue.
    Anyone else had issues similar to this? I'm currently at the conclusion that it was possibly some out of spec. rounds. So I'm thinking continue on and chalk it up to bad ammo. I would really appreciate anyone else's input. I want to start carrying this as my EDC but am somewhat leery due to the FTF issues with Winchester. Oh yeah.. I'm also "that guy" when it comes to getting the proverbial lemon when it comes to firearms. It seems that I have a black cloud that follows me every time I purchase a weapon. Thanks in advance for your insight.
    Last edited by CDFIII; 12-11-2016 at 03:45 PM.

Plunk test some of them. Chances are the bullet profile may not agree with your chamber.
    i used to wannabe

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    It could be out of spec rounds and I second the plunk test...but I will also comment that if I had a Porsche that I loved but I found it didn't run on Exxon 91 even though it ran great on everyone else's premium...well, I wouldn't be selling the car.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

Are 1911 9mm pistols supposed to be able to reliably run more than one magazine/load combination?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I too am highly doubtful it's the gun. Especially since it's only happening with the Winchester. I appreciate you both mentioning trying a plunk test. I hadn't thought of that. I almost posted this in the ammo section but figured this area more appropriate.
    I also forgot to mention that a few hundred rds. of Fed. HST 124gr. and Speer GD 124gr. was tested as well today as well with no issues.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Are 1911 9mm pistols supposed to be able to reliably run more than one magazine/load combination?
    Basically... I want my USP, P2000 reliability in a 9mm 1911 package. Am I asking for too much?

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CDFIII View Post
    Basically... I want my USP, P2000 reliability in a 9mm 1911 package. Am I asking for too much?
    No, because that would be awesome. Complex analogy involving Russian stripper and Georgia Tech cheerleader preemptively deleted, just in case it becomes "exhibit A" at a Canadian Human Rights Tribunal Hearing later on.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

If only one brand/load did not run in a gun with "minimum match chamber" I would probably just avoid that ammo.

If you have a truck load of that ammo, you could do some testing and probably end up applying a sharp new reamer.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    All of mine have.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Wilson Combat 9mm commander with FTF issues but only Winchester NATO 9mm.

My department switched to 9mm Gen 4 Glock 17s about this time last year. Our new range ammo is Winchester 9mm NATO, we experienced numerous failures to return to battery with that specific load. No issues with Winchester RA9124TP.

I took several rounds in question and had issues in our Sig MPX, my personal Sig P226 Elite SAO, 12 year old Glock 19, etc. My guess is a number of the rounds or casings are slightly too long. I never really investigated further.
    Last edited by S Jenks; 12-11-2016 at 11:06 PM.

User Tag List