Thread: Malkoff Hound Dog 18650

Malkoff Hound Dog 18650

Having used Malkoff Surefire drop-ins for a while, I recently decided to buy one of their complete flashlights, a M61T MD2 for WML use. The M61T (T = "throw") uses TIR optics for a more focused beam and is rated at 350 lumens/12,000 lux. The Malkoff lights are extremely well made and have a great reputation for durability and the ability to survive recoil.

The M61T with it's more focused beam works very well for WML use, but for hand held use it offered no advantages over my Surefire PR1 Peacekeeper. The PR1 is rated at 600 lumens, has a wider beam and is comparable to the M61T in throw. In terms of size and weight, the two lights are essentially identical.

I decided to purchase the Hound Dog 18650 (neutral tint) head, which is specifically designed for the MD2 body using a Li-ion 18650 cell. This head is rated at 900 lumens/29,000 lux, a significantly higher output than the M61T head or the PR1. The head also features a low setting of 30 lumens, which is accessed by rotating the head (as opposed to cycling the switch on the PR1). An excellent and comprehensive review of the Hound Dog 18650 with beam shots, run time graphs and photos comparing it to other popular hand held lights (including the PR1) can be found here.

My Observations

Though the Malkoff Hound Dog 18650 light is an inch longer overall, a little over 3/8 inch larger in diameter at the bezel and 2.6 ounces heavier (6 ounces vs. 8.6 ounces), the performance of the Hound Dog (HD) is in a different league compared to the PR1. The larger/deeper bezel of the HD produces spill that equals the PR1 but greatly outperforms it in throw. While the PR1 has an odd greenish tint to the beam, the HD has a neutral/slightly warm tint which I find much more pleasing and provides IMO more accurate color rendition outdoors.

The outer edge of the HD spill is well defined and with the position I have it mounted in on my carbine, there is no barrel shadow.

In terms of pocket carry, I find the PR1 too large for EDC. While it will fit reasonably comfortably in the pocket of cargo pants for walking the dogs, it's more at home in a coat pocket or in a belt carrier. Being even larger and heavier, the same is obviously true of the HD.

So what's its mission?

I can mount the MD2 with either the M61T or HD head on my carbine with a Vltor offset mount. With the M61T head, it performs better than a SF Scout 300 but not quite as well as a SF Scout 600, all while being a few ounces heavier. With the HD head, it significantly outperforms the SF Scout WMLs but at the expense of about 5 ounces of additional weight. In my case, since the light will be used more off the carbine than on (and the Vltor mount allows quick, tool-less mounting/dismounting), this is IMO a reasonable compromise.

In a coat pocket or in a belt carrier, the Hound Dog 18650 remains small and light enough not to be noticed. Mounted on my carbine (as needed), it is an impressive WML for either indoor (on low setting) or outdoor use. As a collector of high quality/high performance flashlights I can attest that for its size, weight, quality and robust durability, the Malkoff Hound Dog 18650 is now the most impressive of my collection.

HD 18650 in a Blackhawk belt carrier (perfect fit!);

HD 18650 as a WML;

MD2 with M61T head as a WML;

Like the old Smucker's ad...With a name like Malkoff, it's got to be good.

Saw your post on the other site this morning. Good stuff and nice setup. I've never used any of his lights on my AR but I do have an M61 drop-in in my Surefire 6z (and the E2 / Scout head on a Surefire E2e) for handgun use.

I recently bought the Hound Dog head to go on the MD4 I had set up for the Wildcat V6. It is an impressive light to be sure.

Gene builds some awesome, virtually indestructible lights. Glad to have me a few.
    Last edited by blues; 12-11-2016 at 12:56 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Gene builds some awesome, virtually indestructible lights. Glad to have me a few.
    Amen.

I understand there is a Super Hound Dog in the works that will be over 80,000 lux due out soon. I'll be watching for that one...

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    Amen.

I understand there is a Super Hound Dog in the works that will be over 80,000 lux due out soon. I'll be watching for that one...
    I've been meaning to upgrade my antique maglight for a while now.

I just wandered over to the site and there is a bunch of stuff on sale.

User Tag List