Thread: Shot a FAL yesterday

Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    In the Beginning

DSA StG58 with kickstand and purse handle

Imbel kit built on an Imbel receiver

Numbers matching Argy kit built on an Argy receiver

Franken Fal PARA

FALs are a blast to shoot. I love the 308 battlerifles
    That Para-Franken, wearing a HK91 forearm, nice to see everyone getting along...

maybe it's not a slim line 91 forearm, don't see the pin hole up front. Can anyone ID?
    Last edited by Alembic; 12-12-2016 at 07:41 PM.

That's a slimline forearm I robbed off of a PTR-91 and did some trimming to make it fit. I really like how it feels in my hand
    Last edited by MistWolf; 12-12-2016 at 08:45 PM.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

That's a slimline forearm I robbed off of a PTR-91 and did some trimming to make it fit. I really like how it feels in my hand
    I would have never considered that. Very cool application...
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

I got the idea from a guy on FALFiles. He modified a wood HK handguard to fit his FAL
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Okay, now I really want one again. (shakes head "no!" at internal OCD generator)
    Love the franken-Para. Can I PM you for build details on that, MistWolf?

I have mentioned an acquaintance who spent some time as a merc- he was an American 'volunteer" in Rhodesia 1979-80, fresh out of the "Old Guard" 3rd US Infantry Regiment. He ended up a Lieutenant in Grey's Scouts, carrying a FAL on horseback. Had nothing but praise for it in use compared to the M-16A1 he carried in the US. The fact that he was a strapping six-foot-seven-inch young soldier didn't hurt, I suppose.

Lex
    Last edited by Lex Luthier; 12-13-2016 at 12:05 PM.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

He ended up a Lieutenant in Grey's Scouts, carrying a FAL on horseback.
    Long ago and faraway, I knew someone else who fit that description, though not as tall. Hmmmmmm....

I have an Imbel/Austrian parts gun FAL. Put a DSA scope mount on it, mounted an Aimpoint and it sleeps in the safe. Way too easy to hit stuff, so much so that it's boring, even off hand.....

I liked the slimline fore end on the G3 I had. I dremelled out the oval "vent holes" so they actually vented. I was going to try to adapt a slimline to an AK project but never ended up doing it before selling it. If shortened from the rear, I think the pin would actually work, right at the gas tube base. The rear needed a little shaping and epoxy work I believe to get it to stay positioned.
    Last edited by Malamute; 12-13-2016 at 01:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthier View Post
    Love the franken-Para...build details...?
    These are the details-
    -DSA Type 2 receiver
    - South African R1 barrel, cut down to 18" and rethreaded. It currently uses a Belgian combo device. I had a BABC and an adapter (BABC had r/h threads, barrel has l/h) but that got moved to another rifle
    - Long gas tube. Since the HK style handguards are open on top, I had to use a long gas tube to cover the piston
    - Modified handguards from a PTR-91. The nose was trimmed a bit. I don't remember if it was trimmed for a better fit, or simply for aesthetics
    - DSA noseless Para cover. I used a noseless cover because the receiver does not have the relief cut for the standard (with nose) Para cover. I've got the tooling to make the cut, but haven't done so, yet. I think the Para springs are from Falcon
    - Sand cut Para carrier
    - Mountain Man folding charging handle. The folding charging handle has the knobbed CH beat every which way to Sunday
    - DSA aluminum Para lower with STG FCG. The STG FCG was used because it's what I had on hand.
    - Extended and checkered mag release. Large foot bolt hold open. (Do NOT use the BHO to release the bolt. Use the charging handle and slingshot it. Using the BHO wears on the bolt)
    - Rear sight is an HK drum, mounted on a special adapter made by one of the guys on the FALFiles
    - I'm unsure about the origin of the folding stock assembly. It came with a hard rubber butt pad which broke apart awhile back. With a little work, I adapted a Magpul butt pad to fit. It's actually a bit more comfortable than the original
    - Grip is a SAW type. Angle is less than the original FAL grip and more comfortable

What I Would Change-
    - The LOP is too long. It's usable, but it would be better if shorter
    - The trigger is typical Euro battle rifle, heavy with plenty of creep
    - The HK rear sight has a notch instead of an aperture at the 100 meter setting. Someday, I'm gonna hunt down a drum that has an aperture at all range settings
    - The rear sling swivel needs to be re-staked. I have a South African R4 webbed sling I'm gonna use. In fact, once I post this, I'm gonna dig out that sling and install it

PRO TIP- Don't let the action slam closed on an empty chamber. The bolt will hit the back of the barrel causing damage to both

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    I liked the slimline fore end on the G3 I had. I dremelled out the oval "vent holes" so they actually vented
    Ha! I did the same thing!

Quote Originally Posted by jc000 View Post
    Really hard to take this post seriously without any pics.
    Not mine, but it is the same and in fantastic shape.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

User Tag List