Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shot a FAL yesterday

Shot a FAL yesterday

I was at the range with a buddy of mine, and he brought his Imbel FAL rifle. I'm sure most of ya'll are much more familiar with it than I am, but it was my first exposure to a real battle rifle.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FN_FAL

This particular example was an IMBEL (?) model, with wood furniture. Although used, it shot with no issues.

For me, being a lefty, it was pretty hopeless to shoot very well. The safety, box mag catch and bolt were all on the left side, which was very awkward.

I wasn't sure what to expect from the recoil, but I gripped tightly and held it firmly to my shoulder. I've never shot .308 Winchester (which I gather is also known as 7.62mmx51?) but the kick was not too bad.

Due to ammo cost, I didn't want to shoot more than about 5 rounds, but it was a lot of fun.

Afterwards I watched a few videos on the FAL and was surprised how ubiquitous it was, having been used in over 90 countries, and being one of the premier battle rifles after WWII for a long period. Very interesting to see, handle and shoot a piece of history like this.

A DSA STG-58 was my first black rifle, back when 7.62 surplus was plentiful and cheap. In theory, it was to be my do it all rifle. But in reality, it's too heavy for hunting, not quite accurate enough for precision shooting, and now too expensive for plinking. But it COULD do it all in a pinch. There is something just badass about it though. It's the one rifle I can shoot a .30 caliber round in all day without being sore. By the way, I am a lefty too and the controls never bothered me. I'm used to operating safeties with my trigger finger, a charging handle with left hand and mag release with my to right hand thumb.
    Last edited by gkieser92; 12-11-2016 at 11:08 AM.

The FAL is one of my most enduring long-gun "bad ideas I just can't shake".

For a long time they were known as "The Right Arm Of The Free World". I will yet have one. My sibling has one of the Century Arms cobbled together thumbhole-stock Imbels which he has further bubba'd, but it still runs like a champ. I favor the slim forestock wood furniture types.

Glad you got to enjoy one of the best battle rifles yet made.
    Last edited by Lex Luthier; 12-11-2016 at 06:03 PM.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

My PH carried a real, as in full auto FN FAL, when we hunted in Zimbabwe on several hunts. Good memories.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthier View Post
    The FAL is one of my most enduring long-gun "bad ideas I just can't shake".

For a long time they were known as "The Right Arm Of The Free World". I will yet have one. My sibling has one of the Century Arms cobbled together thumbhole-stock Imbels which he has further bubba'd, but it still runs like a champ. I favor the slim forestock wood furniture types.

Glad you got to enjoy one of the best battle rifles yet made.
    Same. The dinger for me is the rear sight scratches my glasses under recoil occasionally . Still want one badly.

I've got a DSA Para Carbine that I absolutely love.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    My PH carried a real, as in full auto FN FAL, when we hunted in Zimbabwe on several hunts. Good memories.
    Woah. Did it ever get used? I would, uh, imagine a full auto .308 would be pretty sporty.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    Woah. Did it ever get used? I would, uh, imagine a full auto .308 would be pretty sporty.
    The memorable hunt was during a period of unrest, leading up to an election in Zim. The FAL was for our personal defense. Not on our hunt, but he used it on full auto following up a wounded leopard.

I have a DSA 16 inch carbine. It will eat up your brass. The ejection with imprint a corner of a square on the rim when it flings it out.

You would have to pay me, or scare me a lot, to shoot a 16 inch FAL in a bathroom without plugs and muffs.

User Tag List