Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Secret CIA Report - Russians Intervened in Election

Secret CIA Report - Russians Intervened in Election

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...=.d792b353dbdf

The CIA has concluded in a secret assessment that Russia intervened in the 2016 election to help Donald Trump win the presidency, rather than just to undermine confidence in the U.S. electoral system, according to officials briefed on the matter.
    -

If this is the truth, why isn't the Obama Administration under extreme pressure here? Why is this story about Trump winning the presidency and NOT about the failure of the Obama Administration to maintain cybersecurity in our country?! Cybersecurity is a critical issue in this nation and the President apparently has no fucking clue what is going on.

Jumpin' Jesus on a Pogo Stick...this is fucking stupid. There was a time in this country, not so damn long ago, that Russians hacking our fucking systems and interfering with a Presidential Election would have been construed as a direct threat to our nation's sovereignty...Instead Obama is playing dumb and the media is using this as an excuse to undermine Trump's election.

I don't like Trump, I didn't vote for the dude, and I'm likely to be bitching about his policies for the next 4-years from time-to-time, but this shit is ridiculous.

Assuming the Russians did in fact hack a system, it was the Democratic National Committee emails and the personal emails of key Democrats, not any system run by the Federal Government. The Obama administration is under no responsibility to provide security for the Democratic National Committee or personal emails. Of course, if Secretary Clinton had used the State Department email system, and then been hacked, that would have been the government's responsibility.

Once again, assuming the Russians did hack the Dems and folks, I'm not sure how one could make the case that could be considered "intervening" into the election, any more than NBC could be accused of intervening by releasing 10 year old video of Trump, or whoever may have "found" a copy of Trump's old tax return and released it to the media.

The fundamental structural issues that create our current cyber (hate that word) insecurity will not be fixed until fortunes are lost and people die because of some intentional or unintentional failure on a massive scale. The Internet was never created with security in mind, but to share information, which it does too well. The hardware that is utilized today is still the same basic stuff from the x86 1980's PC days,which was never intended to be connected to a network, and security was an afterthought. Private enterprise, who build, maintain, and secure the Internet infrastructure have no financial incentive to change the status quo. Fixing it will cost lots of money which will screw up next quarters profits. Consumers are clueless regarding security, really don't understand the machines they use every day, so there is really no demand from that sector. We say we wan' t better security, but few know what that really means or how their little gizmo they rely on every day could be insecure.

Funny enough, I believe the GUI revolution that brought mainstream humanity into the "Computer World" ( thank you Kraftwerke ) further distances everyday people from the reality of the machines they deal with. Non-IT folks think those icons they "press" are actually buttons, mechanical buttons on some subconscious level. That there could be some flaw in that button or on the device itself just does not compute. It just don't add up!

Rant off, I feel better now.
    Last edited by Tabasco; 12-10-2016 at 06:46 PM.

Site Supporter
    Well, if the DNC candidate is cool with keeping emails on an unsecured server I'd almost be surprised that at least one nation didn't get all up in their shit. Cybersecurity apparently means something different to the DNC.

Site Supporter
    Did the Russian release anything that wasn't true. Is it their fault that the DNC was nest of sleaze bags? Of course, if they hacked the RNC - do they have responsibility to release that bag of dung?

Interesting question.

The CIA has concluded...
    Who in the CIA? Professional intelligence analysts, or political hacks?
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

For what it's worth...I voted for Trump because I couldn't abide Hillary, didn't want to turn the SC over to those who might undermine the Constitution and didn't feel that the Democratic / BLM agenda and the "Ferguson Effect" were the best road for this country to go down.

That said, I have major issues with folks, including the president elect and his minions, taking foreign / Russian interference in our affairs so cavalierly. (Worse yet, if the basis for ignoring it is due to having profited by it.)

To each his own and I have no ax to grind with any of my brethren here...but this shit just won't fly.
    Last edited by blues; 12-10-2016 at 07:17 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Since the CIA is not supposed to operate in the USA and the FBI is supposed to be in charge of counter-intelligence, is this sloppy journalism? I figured that anything like a statement about hacking to influence an election would come from either the Director of National Intelligence or the FBI director. Is Director Comey so disgraced that the CIA is now doing press releases?

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    JTQ basically nailed it. The Russians didn't interfere with the actual process of voting, just releasing information that wasn't under the Federal Government's purview. And his analogy with NBC releasing Trump's off-the-record comments is perfect.

Lefties are trying to spin this into something it's not because it didn't come out their way this time. Yawn.

Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    Private enterprise, who build, maintain, and secure the Internet infrastructure have no financial incentive to change the status quo.
    They have substantial incentive to fix the status quo. Do stocks take a hit when someone announces their servers have been hacked? Does a data breach have a positive or negative impact on consumer confidence in a company?
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    Since the CIA is not supposed to operate in the USA and the FBI is supposed to be in charge of counter-intelligence, is this sloppy journalism? I figured that anything like a statement about hacking to influence an election would come from either the Director of National Intelligence or the FBI director. Is Director Comey so disgraced that the CIA is now doing press releases?
    It was a SECRET report... so it's okay.

User Tag List