Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Week 194: Five Twenty Five

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    Observations/anything you noticed: With the RMR on my pistol, longer range drills like this are actually easier than close-up stuff, however, I tended to shoot this too drill too fast (approx 4 sec per string) and needed to slow down a bit and use more of the 6 sec allowed.
    I ran an RMR slide for four years before giving up on it. It never made a difference to my scores when compared to irons at distance and slowed me down mid range, although obviously I am very much a work in progress with pistol shooting. It certainly was not something that bought skill with the trigger, grip, stance, etc.

Clearly you have put in a lot of good work along the way and the RMR now allows you to demonstrate your skills despite your eyesight issues. I believe my scores would be about the same with or without an RMR, but maybe after a few years of dedicated practice I may revisit the red dot handgun.

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Same OWB.

G17 - 17 hits

G26 - 15 hits

G19 with KKM comp - 14 hits

Dayim.
    Very interesting, JHC. Any insight how the comped 19 came in below the non-comped guns? Just the way it shook out this time? Or do you have any ideas?
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_White View Post
    Very interesting, JHC. Any insight how the comped 19 came in below the non-comped guns? Just the way it shook out this time? Or do you have any ideas?
    Not many definitively. I was at a loss other than those two posts represent shooting a some days apart. I do know that re yesterday's post, the night earlier I consumed far LESS than my normal bourbon ration. I think I should repeat the experiment normalizing for that variation.

Looking at the guns in more detail, the G17 is a Gen 3 with KKM barrel. The comped 19 is also a Gen 3 with that KKM barrel. The 26 is a Gen 4.
    All but the 17 have HD sights, with the 17 set up with what should be the better 25 yard sights - Proctors narrow square rear and .125 FO front.

The comped G19 got unfairly handicapped with it's too short for it, .215 tall HD front post; and it impacts a bit high. I tried to adjust by trying to hold lower but in a quick string I probably failed to do so adequately as there were a good many misses just off the paper at 12:00.

OTOH, the G19 I have thus far scored best with, is not just any G19. It's an HD sighted RTF2 G19 that always shot lights out in my hands. With the KKM barrel it just got better. Recently in a 150 aggregate warm up using it I warmed up with a 50 for the first freestyle phase. Upon many warm up 150 aggregates, that was my first 50 in a warmup. It certainly has the best grip texture. It is def one of my top two fav's.

The ammunition has been consistent; GECO 124 grain which has shown itself the equal of my Lawman ammo.

Trigger weights and feel are all very similiar; minus OEM connectors all around. No other internals changed.

Just a "any given Sunday" is probably the biggest thing.
    Last edited by JHC; 01-03-2017 at 01:04 PM.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Just a "any given Sunday" is probably the biggest thing.
    Makes sense to me. Thanks for the extra info!
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_White View Post
    Makes sense to me. Thanks for the extra info!
    I'm going to repeat some portion of that for sure. It's bugging me.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

PX4 Storm, BladeTech OWB holster.

No overtime shots.

Raw times:
    1) 4.75
    2) 4.36
    3) 4.81
    4) 4.88
    5) 4.42

Score 21/25

This drill went much better than the GM test. I focussed on clamping down hard on the gun and really watching the front sight. The missed shots were quite wide though and I sould have utilized the additional time I had to refine sight pictures.

"Next time somebody says USPSA or IPSC is all hosing, junk punch them." - Les Pepperoni
    --

Welp... I did wall drills for ten minutes every night all week since the 700. Wednesday I started drawing dry to an index card at three yards with a 1.5 second par for ten minutes after my wall drills.
    P2000 LEM in JMCK OWB1 hands at sides carhartt jacket unzipped.

Raw times
    1 - 5.79
    2 - 5.61
    3 - 4.46
    4 - 6.15
    5 - 5.02

7/25

That's right SEVEN hits. Four of them were in the first string and I goosegged the fourth and fifth strings. I'm somewhat embarrassed but I am learning how that beep going off causes me to lose my mind.

Equipment used: Glock 34 gen4 with Meprolight night sights and dot connector, Safariland GLS OWB under a winter coat (it was 30 degrees at the range this morning).

Number of overtime shots: 0

Total score out of the possible 25: 14/25

Observations: anything you noticed:

Taking over a month off of live and dry fire really screws with your trigger control. All missed shots were low and left within a couple inches of the paper. I was watching the front sight drop, but couldn't keep from pulling it down.

This is a new gun to me and I don't like the sights one bit, so I repeated the drill using a G19 with Defoor sights I had been shooting before the break. Hit 11/25. So it's definitely me, not the thick front sight.

This the first time I've put rounds through a G34. I prefer the way a G19 cycles. The G19 cycles faster and more predictably than the G34 (less sight wobble during recoil and settling). The G34 felt sloppy and sluggish in comparison, though it also felt much "softer". I've never thought of a G19 has a harsh recoiling gun, but compared to a G34 it feels like a 40. I ran this drill three times with each gun and consistently had fewer misses with the g34, even though the G34 had the craptastic Meprolight sights and the G19 had the thinner Defoor front. Maxed out at 20/25 with the G34. Not sure if there's anything to it beyond new awesome gun syndrome, but I definitely will have fun investigating.

I REALLY like this drill. It's like a more demanding version of "The Test". Will keep this one in my back pocket and hit again after I've been shooting regularly for a few weeks.

User Tag List