Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Carrying a pistol in heavy winter weather hunting clothing

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    Funny, my darn tough socks didn't last long so I stopped getting them.
    My son's 20 pair got through his school in good shape but that could be because he had so many, minus the handful he gave a handful away to a fellow that got into a sock emergency. He over supplied though. Knows that now.

I don't stress them enough to be test and I want to keep it that way.
    Last edited by JHC; 12-09-2016 at 12:33 PM.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

It depends on how active and how long I'll be out. A revolver on a belt in an open carry field holster worn with he gun out of a vest but under a parka is OK. The parka has to be zipped, but its not too bad otherwise. If dog walking, I sometimes just put the g-19 in the lower right parka pocket, barrel/slide down, grip upwards, and a mag or two in the other side to balance it. Sometimes a shoulder holster for a revolver, or a tanker type is decent. Used to wear a cartridge belt on the outside of a medium weight hip length blanket coat. If hunting, I put the cartridge loops on the front so I could get to them. Cross draw is OK with heavy coats, I don't care for it much otherwise. A crossdraw belt holster is also workable under a coat.

Zipper pulls are easier to use with longer pulls. I keep a small thermometer on my parka zipper, its easy to grab with gloves or whatever. My down vest is snaps, so will come open as quickly as I want to pull it apart. Snaps can be added to some that didn't come with them. Ive done it and ignored the zipper or after having a zipper failure. The snaps that look like holster snaps, that size or the next size smaller seem to hold and hold up better than the garment type snaps some vests or coats come with. I'm going to replace the cheap ones on my current vest.

I keep mitten on a cord over the neck, eskimo style. With a pull of the teeth it drops off and doesn't get lost or drop in the snow. If sized right, you can wear deerskin gloves under the mittens. The neck cord works best with a chest cord that slides up when worn, down when not worn to keep them from flopping or flying around as much. If it warms up, I often just pull the mittens off and let them hang. If I stop and /or it cools off, I have them ready. The cord is handy to hang them from also. Hard to lose them when they hang on a coat hook.

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    Funny, my darn tough socks didn't last long so I stopped getting them.
    Just confirming, you wear shoes with them?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I hunt/live in temperatures ranging from mid 100's to 30 or 40 below zero... and always bring a pistol. The configuration of my clothing varies greatly.

I usually stay IWB until I get more than 3 layers of clothing on my torso, and then I use OWB covered by my most outer layer of coat to cover the handgun. I don't really have any cool cold weather stuff, just "Farmer Gear" I guess you'd say.

Kudos to GJM for the mitten comment... very true. I wonder if there is a FAST drill configuration integrating mitten removal?

I greatly appreciate all the replies. I'm going to have to go back through this more thoroughly and pick out some stuff that'll work.

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

I do the following things to help.

1) I switch to OWB carry. In warmer weather, I prefer conventional (not appendix) IWB.

2) I NEVER button my wool outer coat. This allows easier access to the OWB-holstered pistol. 

3) I wear a wool vest that is buttoned to provide warmth and to balance the unbuttoned coat.

4) I toss a J-frame in a pocket holster in my buttoned right outer coat pocket. If I need the gun, it just looks like my hands are cold. This is a great option at gas stations in the winter months.

Best tip: Practice shooting your pistols with your winter gloves on your hands. I had to switch gloves to find ones that did not lock up the pistol(s) due to excess material causing stoppages. Pumping gas with temps in the single digits makes gloves mandatory.

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    I do the following things to help.

2) I NEVER button my wool outer coat. This allows easier access to the OWB-holstered pistol. 

3) I wear a wool vest that is buttoned to provide warmth and to balance the unbuttoned coat.

4) I toss a J-frame in a pocket holster in my buttoned right outer coat pocket. If I need the gun, it just looks like my hands are cold. This is a great option at gas stations in the winter months.

Best tip: Practice shooting your pistols with your winter gloves on your hands. I had to switch gloves to find ones that did not lock up the pistol(s) due to excess material causing stoppages. Pumping gas with temps in the single digits makes gloves mandatory.
    I never zipper/button my outer jacket - a training scar from 8+ years doing protection full time, I guess. I wear a soft-shell fleece vest, but its' tucked behind the pistol grip. I guess if I was hiking/hunting, tucking it into my pants would make more sense. +1,000 on shooting with gloves - it's eye opening, for sure. And, I just qualified yesterday with my 642 so I could get it back on my "approved personal" roster for coat pocket duty - nothing beats it for that niche!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    Back in the flintlock era, they had "overcoat pistols" that would go in an outer layer coat pocket for easy access.
    I have been known to drop my Model 12 in a coat pocket in cold weather.
    642 fo me, but similar usage. Doesn't weigh the pocket down too much, easier access.

Site Supporter
    I carry a pistol whenever hunting also. Typically a G17 in my usual IWB holster. Here in DC it really gets cold enough to need enough layers to hamper my draw. On the rare occasion some heavy coveralls are needed a J-Frame in the pocket works well.

All that said, I've found the long arm in my hands to be a better deterrent to unwanted shenanigans then my conceal pistol.

I use an Eberlestock Gunrunner for walks to and from the stand. It's just the right size for spare layers and essentials.

I have found that my long gun can be out almost as quickly as digging a pistol out from under all the clothes. Still carry one though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Tag List