Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Carrying a pistol in heavy winter weather hunting clothing

I handgun hunt, so I have one handgun in a holster that goes across the shoulder in front. And a CCW handgun in either a shoulder holster or a pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Just confirming, you wear shoes with them?
    Hahahah...

But seriously part of their appeal is they replace them lifetime if they wear out. At least I thought that was the deal.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Nyeti"

Quote Originally Posted by EM_ View Post
    Hahahah...

But seriously part of their appeal is they replace them lifetime if they wear out. At least I thought that was the deal.
    The Darn Tough socks? Different person here, but yes. I have ~8-9 pairs that I rotate through. Pretty thick socks. I had one sock come undone at the toe seam. Sent it in and got back a new sock, no questions asked.

ETA: That will have been 2 years in Feb for those 8-9 pairs.
    Last edited by Tod-13; 12-17-2016 at 09:15 PM.

Below zero, without wind chill, here in Wichita this morning.

Leaving aside LE, or defense against animal attacks, I would bet 10 PF dollars, that how you carry in these kind of conditions almost doesn't matter, because the odds of a bad guy coming out when it is this cold is also near zero.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Below zero, without wind chill, here in Wichita this morning.

Leaving aside LE, or defense against animal attacks, I would bet 10 PF dollars, that how you carry in these kind of conditions almost doesn't matter, because the odds of a bad guy coming out when it is this cold is also near zero.
    +1

Where I'm visiting family in WI. it was 9 degrees and windy when I was walking the dog and clearing my car windows at 0400 this morning. G43 in a Desantis Nemesis in the big coat's pocket was the only way but as you say, a formality.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

I will echo what many have said here.

Often I just run a regular OWB rig, and simply deal with the reduced presentation speed.

That said, the Tanker rig gets a fair bit of use too. I wear mine over my insulating layers, under my top layer:

Or as of late, I have been running an HPG kit bag, due to wanting easy access to other frequently used items.

A quick trip to town with the neighbor (I was snowed in) in sub-zero weather, chaining up and unchaining, J in pants pocket, 4" Smith 19 in Lawrence No 8 shoulder rig. Enabled appearance of being semi-civilized and opening of coat when in stores. I use a tanker type also when not in town.
    Last edited by Malamute; 12-18-2016 at 10:59 AM.

Regardless of temperature, the bird dog must be exercised, or bad things happen with a bored Vizsla. It was -3F when we hit the park, but no wind. All our serious cold weather gear is up north, and we had to make do with our travel kit. My wife has three layers of dead chicken jackets on, one of which had a built in face mask. That is the only item I was missing. By the end of the 40 minute walk, we were about to unzip stuff. We had the park to ourselves. Regular gear -- her 26 in a Rosen Upper Limit and my HK USP C in a George.

Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    I will echo what many have said here.

Often I just run a regular OWB rig, and simply deal with the reduced presentation speed.

That said, the Tanker rig gets a fair bit of use too. I wear mine over my insulating layers, under my top layer:

Or as of late, I have been running an HPG kit bag, due to wanting easy access to other frequently used items.
    I was going to mention a Tanker holster as still being valid, so ^this^

Because around here this sort of thing happens in the winter...

Name:  Minus 10 degrees.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  40.0 KB
    Last edited by Chuck Haggard; 12-18-2016 at 01:57 PM.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Site Supporter
    Being the unsophisticated barbarian that I am I usually just drop my pistol in the inside pocket of my heavy carhart coat. It works till it don't.

At least I dropped the 30s at the beginning of chopping the hole in the ice and not when the hole was finished.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User Tag List