Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 LastLast

Thread: Inappropriate Behavior While Carrying A Handgun?

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    To clarify: I was responding to the "try to avoid people, period" post, and explaining that here, for me, choosing to "get involved" usually means stopping to see if the folks with a wheel in the ditch are ok. It does not mean wading into interpersonal drama or domestic disputes.
    I avoid that, too. Not my problem. Not worth taking a bullet for my wallet when their little con works. The very fact that doing this has seemingly gotten you up close with the drama of others proves my point.

Maybe I'm an asshole, but I'm not the asshole who's going to take 2 in the back of the head from the hidden second person while changing some girls flat tire.

"What if that was my mother, wouldn't I want someone to stop?" No. I dont want some stranger pulling over. I'd want her to call AAA and a uniformed person in a recognizable vehicle could render aid if no one she knew was nearby.

Or...let's say it is just what it appears...hard to fake a smoking front end, blown radiator, and splintered pole. But then you begin speaking to the occupants in the car, and it becomes clear they were on meth, and they perceive you as law enforcement. And buddy, no undercover narc is gonna haul THEM in for a 3rd strike! That pistol comes out of the glove box/from under the seat...Bad day for you...

Situations are too fluid for me to, by choice and without compensation for risk, place myself randomly into them.

Ymmv, and it's always a personal call.

*yes, I am often mistaken for LE. Last time I was in a wreck, some girl had lost control of her suv on ice and hit me. Then another person hit the bridge. The girl who hit me was on the military crest, and between her suv and oncoming traffic. I did not want to watch her get splatted, so I directed her to the shoulder, etc. Took command of the situation, got all vehicles out of traffic, and began getting insurance info from her after dialing 911 and being told officers were busy with dozens of wrecks and it would be some time. The second person who only hit the bridge asked "are you a cop, can I leave, please? I didn't hit anyone!" And acted very nervous. I told her I didn't care what she did, no I'm not LE, no its not my problem. She left. So yes, if you have a commanding personality and know how to deal with life, you often get pigeon holed as LE or Military in my experience. It's a very valid concern, imo. So no, I don't want to pull over and someone with some rocks in the car think I'm a narc and get all trigger happy even though it was a legit accident and I am just trying to help.

You never know. I'd rather not find out. Again, ymmv
    Last edited by Unobtanium; 01-01-2017 at 03:15 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    So yes, if you have a commanding personality and know how to deal with life, you often get pigeon holed as LE or Military in my experience. It's a very valid concern, imo. So no, I don't want to pull over and someone with some rocks in the car think I'm a narc and get all trigger happy even though it was a legit accident and I am just trying to help.
    Had this happen a couple times myself when I moved to FL. I was asked by no fewer that three people in the condo complex I lived in if I was a cop. Guess that was the standard occupation for an overweight guy with a short haircut who wore khakis and a polo everyday? *shrugs*

Anytime I was asked, I just told them, "No [sir/ma'am], I'm a musician." That usually cause a long enough short circuit to end the conversation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."
    Disclaimer: I have previously worked in the firearms industry as an engineer. Thoughts and opinions expressed here are mine alone and not those of my prior employers.

Site Supporter
    Driving home this afternoon I pull away first from a red light, cross the intersection and see a car moving quickly through the CVS parking lot parallel and ahead of me. I'm doing about 25 heading to 40 (limit) but get "that feeling" and ease off. Sure enough the guy pops out from the driveway just ahead, but I've slowed enough that there's not even a close call. Then the guy sticks his arm out the window (already open) and I see that he's flipping me the bird. Doing 35 in a 40. Maybe I reminded him of someone?

So I remember this thread and slow down, fall in behind him. Still the bird flies. I'm baffled.

Eventually he passes my turn, so I make the right and then rush off to the next turn to get out of sight in case crazy decides to try and follow me.

Still have no idea WTF. Maybe off his meds? No armed conflicts today. Thanks to you all.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Driving home this afternoon I pull away first from a red light, cross the intersection and see a car moving quickly through the CVS parking lot parallel and ahead of me. I'm doing about 25 heading to 40 (limit) but get "that feeling" and ease off. Sure enough the guy pops out from the driveway just ahead, but I've slowed enough that there's not even a close call. Then the guy sticks his arm out the window (already open) and I see that he's flipping me the bird. Doing 35 in a 40. Maybe I reminded him of someone?

So I remember this thread and slow down, fall in behind him. Still the bird flies. I'm baffled.

Eventually he passes my turn, so I make the right and then rush off to the next turn to get out of sight in case crazy decides to try and follow me.

Still have no idea WTF. Maybe off his meds? No armed conflicts today. Thanks to you all.

Mistaken identity? Perhaps your vehicle looked familiar to him? Perhaps YOU looked familiar to him.

I hope the officer recovers quickly! This is what I was saying about stopping to help someone I don't know who has flipped their car, etc., by the way. It's just another opening for some shithead to get at you.
    While it's not clear what happened as the trooper responded to the rollover scene, DPS said he got into an altercation with "an unknown suspect." A civilian got on his radio and told DPS dispatchers that the trooper had been shot and that another motorist shot the suspect.
    http://www.azfamily.com/story/342430...0-near-tonopah
    Last edited by Unobtanium; 01-12-2017 at 11:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ragnar_d View Post
    Had this happen a couple times myself when I moved to FL. I was asked by no fewer that three people in the condo complex I lived in if I was a cop. Guess that was the standard occupation for an overweight guy with a short haircut who wore khakis and a polo everyday? *shrugs*

Anytime I was asked, I just told them, "No [sir/ma'am], I'm a musician." That usually cause a long enough short circuit to end the conversation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I can dress as one, but it will cost extra. Typically I dress as a fireman, the women really seem to like that one. Some of the guys that hire me to dance at their parties pay a shit ton and I end up dressing as a maid or whatever. I have a "no-touching" rule with the guys though, it's just not my thing. Would you like to book me for a party or private get together?"

They will never speak to you again. Problems solved.

Earlier today I was legally sitting in my car outside a local retail store waiting for the girls. A big beater of a truck pulls up behind me and sits there for almost 20 seconds. It then pulls up alongside of me and the driver stares down from his 4x4 in through my driver's window and just sits there. I ignore him for about 10 seconds and then look at him; he's still staring while giving me one of those "'I'm ready to kick your butt and drag it down the street' looks. The woman in the passenger seat stared straight ahead the entire time.

I finally waved at him and I still didn't know what he wanted. He slowly drove around me and parked. He then proceeded to walk towards me while his wife and kid walked into the store. He stood directly in front of my car, stared at my license plate for a few seconds, and then walked over and stood about 2 feet from my driver door. He still looked extremely angry and like the world's biggest 'Sons of Anarchy' fan.

I rolled my window down about 2 inches and asked him "Can I help you?" He asks, "Are you a police officer?" I say why and he says "Are you an on or off-duty police officer?" Again I ask why? He says, "You're obstructing my view."

I said okay. He asks, "Are you a cop or not?" I said, "Time for you to go." He cursed under his breath and walked away.

Anyone that bold and acting that way is dangerous and has more cojones than brains.

There are people everywhere that seek confrontations with cops. He wanted a fight and I wasn't going to give it to him...unless he forced me to do so.

The main point is I didn't argue with him and I didn't let him make me angry. He was obviously trying to do both. And if he's willing to act that way towards somebody thinks is a cop, what would he do to anyone else?

That's why I'm ALWAYS armed and polite to everyone. A wise man (& my hero) once said, "Speak softly and carry a big stick."
    Last edited by iWander; 01-16-2017 at 12:14 PM.

Delta Busta Kappa fratboy Hot Sauce's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohsheepdog View Post
    Earlier today I was legally sitting in my car outside a local retail store waiting for the girls. A big beater of a truck pulls up behind me and sits there for almost 20 seconds. It then pulls up alongside of me and the driver stares down from his 4x4 in through my driver's window and just sits there. I ignore him for about 10 seconds and then look at him; he's still staring while giving me one of those "'I'm ready to kick your butt and drag it down the street' looks. The woman in the passenger seat stared straight ahead the entire time.

I finally waved at him and I still didn't know what he wanted. He slowly drove around me and parked. He then proceeded to walk towards me while his wife and kid walked into the store. He stood directly in front of my car, stared at my license plate for a few seconds, and then walked over and stood about 2 feet from my driver door. He still looked extremely angry and like the world's biggest 'Sons of Anarchy' fan.

I rolled my window down about 2 inches and asked him "Can I help you?" He asks, "Are you a police officer?" I say why and he says "Are you an on or off-duty police officer?" Again I ask why? He says, "You're obstructing my view."

I said okay. He asks, "Are you a cop or not?" I said, "Time for you to go." He cursed under his breath and walked away.

Anyone that bold and acting that way is dangerous and has more cojones than brains.

There are people everywhere that seek confrontations with cops. He wanted a fight and I wasn't going to give it to him...unless he forced me to do so.

The main point is I didn't argue with him and I didn't let him make me angry. He was obviously trying to do both. And if he's willing to act that way towards somebody thinks is a cop, what would he do to anyone else?

That's why I'm ALWAYS armed and polite to everyone. A wise man (& my hero) once said, "Speak softly and carry a big stick."
    What was the point you had set in your mind as the red line where you start your draw stroke? Just curious about the thought process.
    Last edited by Hot Sauce; 01-19-2017 at 11:01 PM.
    Gaming will get you killed in the streets. Dueling will get you killed in the fields.
    -Alexander Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Sauce View Post
    What was the point you had set in your mind as the red line where you start your draw stroke? Just curious about the thought process.
    It was in my hand as soon as he walked toward my car. He just couldn't see it.

Delta Busta Kappa fratboy Hot Sauce's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohsheepdog View Post
    It was in my hand as soon as he walked toward my car. He just couldn't see it.
    Makes perfect sense to me. I was curious precisely because nothing of that sort was mentioned.
    Gaming will get you killed in the streets. Dueling will get you killed in the fields.
    -Alexander Hamilton

User Tag List