Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Uneven seating depths and OAL's with .38 sp +P Win Ranger T 130gr Bonded JHP

I just ordered and received a case (500) of these from GT, and I'm seeing the same inconsistency in seating depth across a random sample pulled from multiple boxes in the case. Tonight, I'll measure OAL and take pictures but what I'm seeing looks like the image pictured earlier in this thread.

I've called GT Distributors and they were less than helpful, and basically said they don't take returns on ammo, and to call Winchester. Finally, I coaxed a "We'll check into it and call you back" out of the customer service rep.

If anyone gets in touch with Winchester, please share the contact info for whoever you talk to, please.

You look at your ammo closer than I do. I bought a couple boxes of RA38B this year from sgammo. The 11 rounds in a speedloader and speed strip on my desk all look fine. I looked through the ammo that is still in boxes and it looks like maybe 10% that I couldn't see the cannelure. Using dial calipers to measure, the deeper seated bullets give an OAL .007-009 shorter than the others. That's probably a bit more than my reloaded ammo, but not enough to worry me.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by radiogeek View Post
    I just ordered and received a case (500) of these from GT, and I'm seeing the same inconsistency in seating depth across a random sample pulled from multiple boxes in the case. Tonight, I'll measure OAL and take pictures but what I'm seeing looks like the image pictured earlier in this thread.

I've called GT Distributors and they were less than helpful, and basically said they don't take returns on ammo, and to call Winchester. Finally, I coaxed a "We'll check into it and call you back" out of the customer service rep.

If anyone gets in touch with Winchester, please share the contact info for whoever you talk to, please.
    I filled out a product support form on their website and received a call the next day from a rep who emailed me a return label. She says it takes 4-6 weeks to cut a refund check from the date they receive the returned ammo. The number I reached her at is 1-800-356-2666, her name was Beth Clester.
    Last edited by Doug MacRay; 12-14-2016 at 03:17 PM. Reason: add quote
    "I need your help. I can't tell you what it is, you can never ask me about it later, and we're gonna hurt some people."

Quote Originally Posted by Doug MacRay View Post
    I filled out a product support form on their website and received a call the next day from a rep who emailed me a return label. She says it takes 4-6 weeks to cut a refund check from the date they receive the returned ammo. The number I reached her at is 1-800-356-2666, her name was Beth Clester.
    I got in touch with a rep named Haley Stamper, who will coordinating the return of the entire case I purchased for examination by quality control and refund or exchange.

I've asked for an exchange rather than a refund, as I like the product, just not the quality control issues.

Ms. Stamper advised me that if anyone else would like to file a claim on this issue, they should call (314) 426-1800.

I also sent her a link to this discussion thread.

I got in touch with a rep named Haley Stamper, who will coordinating the return of the entire case I purchased for examination by quality control and refund or exchange.

I've asked for an exchange rather than a refund, as I like the product, just not the quality control issues.

Ms. Stamper advised me that if anyone else would like to file a claim on this issue, they should call (314) 426-1800.

I also sent her a link to this discussion thread.
    I called Beth back to see if I can get an exchange as well. She didn't give me that option the first time, but it would save me money not having to pay for shipping again when buying more. And I too like the ammo and would be happy sticking with it if I got a consistent product.
    "I need your help. I can't tell you what it is, you can never ask me about it later, and we're gonna hurt some people."

I also just got a call from GT Distributors. Their story is that they bought this RA38B ammo on a special deal from another distributor, and that it should be fine for "training purposes".

When I told her that Winchester-Olin, the manufacturer, advised me not to fire any of it and return the entire case to them, she seemed a little taken aback.

I explained to the customer service rep from GT that they might want to put a disclaimer on the product description, and/or contact the distributor they purchased it from and let them know about the QC issues. She said they'd look into that.

To me, it seems that GT Distributors is passing the buck.

I understand that they didn't manufacture the ammo; still, I think that a business that sells premium LE-marketed ammunition that exhibits this type of quality control issues should be a little more involved in making it right for the customer.

I also just got a call from GT Distributors. Their story is that they bought this RA38B ammo on a special deal from another distributor, and that it should be fine for "training purposes".

When I told her that Winchester-Olin, the manufacturer, advised me not to fire any of it and return the entire case to them, she seemed a little taken aback.

I explained to the customer service rep from GT that they might want to put a disclaimer on the product description, and/or contact the distributor they purchased it from and let them know about the QC issues. She said they'd look into that.

To me, it seems that GT Distributors is passing the buck.

I understand that they didn't manufacture the ammo; still, I think that a business that sells premium LE-marketed ammunition that exhibits this type of quality control issues should be a little more involved in making it right for the customer.
    Yes, this is a bit disturbing on the part of GT. I called the company I got mine from (Targetsportsusa.com) and they confirmed they received it directly from Winchester and thanked me for the heads up.

Thanks for the heads up on this ammo, gents. I'll be contacting the aforementioned rep and facilitating an exchange.

I took another good look at the ammo I received last night, and took these pictures. I've forwarded these to Winchester for their review.

Looking again at the ammo, while it's inconsistent in OAL and bullet seating depth, I think it's OK (just sloppy quality control).

What do y'all think?

Lot# info stamped on individual boxes

Random sample #1

Random sample #2

Zoomed in view of sample #2
    Name:  20161214_175403_crop.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  41.0 KB
    Last edited by radiogeek; 12-15-2016 at 10:46 AM. Reason: fix url

What do y'all think?
    I think you need to measure it to see if it's really significant. Here's why. This morning I took my dial calipers to Win .45 Ranger, Rem 9mm GD, Fed 9mm HST, and Rem .38 LSWCHP. Based on measurements, not eyeballing, the difference in random samples of each was .007-.010". The HST, which we all agree is fine ammo, was at the large end of that.

Based on years of reloading ammo, .010" one way or the other won't make a bit of difference in a revolver. I have had cycled 147gr 9mm factory ammo end up .030-040" shorter, and in that cartridge that's a problem. In your RA38B, unless there is no crimp at all, I think what you're looking at is the acceptable (to them) tolerance.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

User Tag List