Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Beretta 92 Extended Mag Releases

Site Supporter

Beretta 92 Extended Mag Releases

Since my recent Langdon class I've been investing more time training with my 92A1. (I've always had a thing for the 92).

The increased time on the gun has revealed a couple things to me. First, it could really use a bevel on the mag well. Second, I think I could benefit from an extended mag release for more positive activation with less shift of the grip. But which one?

I've looked at both the Beretta factory and a couple of the Wilson offerings. Unfortunately, I don't have the option to try before I buy. While not a significant investment if I don't care for whichever I choose, gleaning some insight from the hive is never a bad thing.

So is one appreciably different, i.e. better than another or are they pretty much the same?

Have a 92G on order from Wilson. Then I can compare it to my 1988 92F. About 4-6 weeks. Sigh.

I use this one:

http://www.berettausa.com/en-us/bere...button/c86992/

Installed easily, no fitting required. 100% easier to hit than the stock button but does not stick out so far that I can unintentionally drop the magazine with my support (left) hand.
    "Customer is very particular" -- SIG Sauer

I've used the Beretta factory part, and it is definitely much better than stock IMO.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    If IDPA rules matter, the Beretta factory extended button is larger in area, so it isn't legal in the class that limits you to a stock size but allows a taller button. I've contemplated just soldering a brass button to the stock release. A bit of heat would take it right off if you decided you didn't like it.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    If IDPA rules matter, the Beretta factory extended button is larger in area, so it isn't legal in the class that limits you to a stock size but allows a taller button. I've contemplated just soldering a brass button to the stock release. A bit of heat would take it right off if you decided you didn't like it.
    Uh...no. Here are the rules outlined below.

8.1.6 Legal Modifications for All Divisions

8.1.6.4 An extended magazine release button may not be oversize in diameter or protrude more than 0.2” (5.1 mm) out from the frame. The measurement is taken at the rear most part of the magazine release, where it exits the frame. When the magazine release area is recessed into the grip frame, the grip frame to the rear of the recess is used as the base of the measurement

8.2.1.3.3 Magazine releases, slide stops, safety levers, de-cocking levers, hammers, and triggers, that are stock on one SSP legal firearm may be used on another SSP legal firearm from the same manufacturer provided they are drop in replacements. Parts in this list must come factory installed on standard production firearms. Special parts that are available installed only from a factory custom shop are not eligible in SSP.
    This isn't a modification as it comes standard from factory on some models. It's also explicitly approved for SSP.

I wasn't fond of the oversized/extended release that came on my brig tac initially, but i can't recall a good reason why now as it has grown on me and i find it perfectly suitable. I think initially it was stiff and took some breaking in, but i haven't had any issues with mags dropping prematurely or not dropping when needed. Nor does it interfere with my hands while gripping the gun.

When i get another beretta this spring, I'll use it again if it doesn't already come with something similar.

I like the factory extended release.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

For me and my short fingers, the winning combo is the Wilson ultra-thin grips with the Wilson extended release than extends over the grip. That combination allows me to positively release the magazine without totally compromising my grip due to the lessened shift required. The ultra-thin grips make a huge difference for me.

User Tag List