Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2016 elk

Awesome. This year was my first time hunting elk (or anything) and I went out not too far from you in unit 23 up near Riggins with a cow tag. I did actually get on to a cow on the first night, but didn't have enough confidence in myself and the borrowed rifle to take the only shot that presented itself, 250 yard offhand only in the last available light. Next night I went back and stalked to within 20 feet of the young bull she had been with the night before, but she was nowhere to be found.

Of course, I went out in the Danskins looking for buck, and that's where all the cows were. A nice little herd of 20 cows followed by a couple spikes and a gorgeous 6x6 bull. Apparently that's how hunting works, right?
    TY83544

Riggins is STEEP country. I have spent a fair amount of time around there, not to mention time rodeoing at the infamous Riggins rodeo.

BTW, we ran into a traffic jam one afternoon:

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post

It was pretty warm, in the teens during the day. It looks like it will be about 15-20 degrees colder this weekend.
    Gulp.

First thing Lost River has posted that didn't make me start salivating about retiring to Idaho.

I lived in upstate NY for a while so not totally a foreign concept, but dang that is not my current definition of "pretty warm"

Luckyman, currently shivering in 65F temp.

I spent the morning out in 17 F temps with windchill bringing it down to -5 or so. You have (even more of ) my admiration if you can make a precision shot in those temps, Lost River.
    Now, if the sun is shining and the wind is still, it's much nicer than this California boy would have thought.
    Last edited by Lex Luthier; 12-07-2016 at 11:59 PM.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Good shooting as usual, LR!
    "Backstabbers and window-lickers rise to the top of human organizations like oxygen-rich turds in a champagne fountain. I suspect it's been that way since at least the Bronze Age." _ Me. 2016

NICE. Pretty warm in the teens..... WTF!

I have an opportunity to go to Kooskia, I have always wanted to do an elk hunt out west, but warm is the teens??

Waidmann's heil!
    Semper Paratus,

Steve

This sounds silly if you haven't really experiencednit, but dry cold is really very tolerable compared to humid cold. Parts of the West differ, but I think where LR is is fairly dry. Where I used to live, 0 degrees was about like 25 back on the east coast. Negative 40 was cold, but not intolerable. Negative 6 back east is tough on me.

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    This sounds silly if you haven't really experiencednit, but dry cold is really very tolerable compared to humid cold. Parts of the West differ, but I think where LR is is fairly dry. Where I used to live, 0 degrees was about like 25 back on the east coast. Negative 40 was cold, but not intolerable. Negative 6 back east is tough on me.
    Doesn't sound silly to me at all. Usually here it's about 40 degrees and 100% humidity and it really sets a chill in person.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

User Tag List