Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2016 elk

2016 elk

I had a cow tag, so naturally I saw 9 bulls separate from any cows in 4 days including these 4 guys:

Sorry for the terrible iphone pic.

They were maybe 300 yards, and were broadside for a good while.

On day 2 we managed to get up on a group, but I was the only one who connected. The last time I lasered they were 335 yards and heading up and away from us. Not a good shot opportunity for the kid, but I dropped one with the T3 .300 wm.

Goofy looking pic, making her look gangly/scrawny, but she was actually a fairly good size cow.

The kid did her part, field dressing, cleaning up the ivories, etc.

We are heading back this weekend so the kiddo and my dad can have another go.

It was pretty warm, in the teens during the day. It looks like it will be about 15-20 degrees colder this weekend.

Great read, thank you! Public land? I'm looking at hunting ID 2017 for elk.

Is that a brake on the Tikka? How do you like it? How do those standing by you like it? I'm looking at a T3X 300WM.

Forgive the questions, what load?
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

Quote Originally Posted by PNWTO View Post
    Great read, thank you! Public land? I'm looking at hunting ID 2017 for elk.

Is that a brake on the Tikka? How do you like it? How do those standing by you like it? I'm looking at a T3X 300WM.

Forgive the questions, what load?

No worries on the questions,

Yep, strictly public land. I have never actually hunted big game anywhere else. That is one of the great things about the rural west, the vast amounts of public land that allow the average guy to be able to hunt animals that in other parts of the world would be limited strictly to wealthy.

The brake on the Tikka allows me to shoot far more precisely due to better recoil management. With a rifle as light as a T3, shooting a typical magnum class cartridge such as the 7mm RM, 300 WM, 338 WM, I consider brakes standard equipment if I am going to be shooting at any distance.

No typical hunting rifle is "hearing safe", so no matter if it is braked or not, hearing protection is mandatory in my book.

The load is a handload, pushing a 165 Sierra hollow point game king at about 3200 fps.

There is actually a thread about the rifle here: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?22976-T3-300WM

Good info in there.

Congrats!

Awesome

Well done. Thanks for the story and the pics.

Okue Jihn
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Thanks for sharing the story. You folks out West are really blessed with the wide open space.

God, I miss the West. Thanks for sharing.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    God, I miss the West. Thanks for sharing.
    Listen to some LeDoux, and head for where you belong!

When it is in your blood, no place will ever be an acceptable substitute.

Besides, kids raised in the rural west tend to turn out pretty decent.

User Tag List