Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: HK USP: what do I need to know?

I've wanted to run a USP expert 9mm in production but there are a few major issues I see with it:
    -the mag release is way too small and using an extended one for an HK45 will destroy the polymer magazines since it's a metal part
    -it's poorly sprung
    -even if I found a suitable extended mag release I still don't like paddle mag releases
    -it's an expensive, outdated gun (around $1100), why should I buy it over something that works better for as much or less money?

I still want an expert in .45 though as an outdoors pistol. It uses metal mags unlike the 9 and .40

Man I want a usp 45 fs. I wonder if it'll be too big for my tiny mitts. Been looking at the 9 despite my 10rd limit as GJM has made it impossible to ignore these guns as of late.

Thanks for breaking it down GJM, the DA pull sounds brutal. I was looking at the match kit, which says it brings the DA pull down to around 8.5lb on HKparts, any experience with that? The match hybrid LEM does sound sweet though, it would be a perfect carry trigger and hypothetically shouldn't give up much to a DA/SA if the SA pull is similar. I tend to be somewhere between a trigger slap and reset rider, I release a good bit past the reset then slap back again.

My hand size works with the USP, and I have unusually long thumbs so I can drop the mags with my thumb without shifting my grip, same with the rest of the HKs that I've tried.
    Last edited by DocSabo40; 12-06-2016 at 08:56 AM. Reason: Forgot the word "hand"

Quote Originally Posted by TC215 View Post
    My agency issued USP .45's and USP compact .45's for 16 years...until earlier this year, actually. Only real issue we ever had was with the older hard plastic magazine base pads breaking when dropped on a hard surface. The newer magazines are ok.
    No wish to derail this thread, but I've been noodling around the thought of a H&K USP-F (.45 ACP) carried AIWB. The measurements seem to suggest it would work, but I know of nobody who's doing it.

Could you comment on the practicality of a USP-F with AIWB carry, please? And perhaps compare it to a G-17, also AIWB?

I'm 71" and 180 lbs, 42"chest and 35" waist. (This may not be relevant, but I think I remember reading somewhere that body size can be an issue with AIWB.)

E: I can reasonably carry a Beretta 92 series AIWB and don't see any reason a USPf should be terribly different. Six foot, 200 pounds, 34" to 36" waist depending on pant make. I'd have tried it with my fullsize but it's still got the original internals that leave the hammer catch deactivated by my match kit installation. Not putting that near wee johnson until I've gotten around to updating them.

Quote Originally Posted by newyork View Post
    You probably know this already but they have a proprietary rail made for the hk Utl light. 90 lumens. Otherwise GG&G makes an adapter to fit modern lights
    Also 90 lumens but the Streamlight TLR-6 can be had in compact and fullsize flavors. They also sell the compact USP claw as an item to convert a standard TLR-6 to fit a USPc.

As an item I've yet to see mentioned, the USP compact has a thin grip as double-stacks go. Mine conceals on me better than my Glock 23 ever did and about as well as my G27 used to. It doesn't fit me as perfectly as a 92 series Beretta or fullsize USP, but the grip texturing keeps it planted in my hands, anyway. The pronounced taper at the top of the mags also make reloads nice and slick despite the thin grip.

For a negative, I hate the internal catch to keep the hammer off the firing pin when decocking. If it chips, I may not know and then be relying on the firing pin block to do its job as the pin regularly slams into it. Much prefer a rotating shield I can see like the old S&W autos or the two-piece pin in a 92 that I can watch rotate out of position. I'll personally only run the USP series as a SAO or LEM.
    Last edited by Hi-Point Aficionado; 12-06-2016 at 11:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DocSabo40 View Post
    Thanks for breaking it down GJM, the DA pull sounds brutal. I was looking at the match kit, which says it brings the DA pull down to around 8.5lb on HKparts, any experience with that? The match hybrid LEM does sound sweet though, it would be a perfect carry trigger and hypothetically shouldn't give up much to a DA/SA if the SA pull is similar. I tend to be somewhere between a trigger slap and reset rider, I release a good bit past the reset then slap back again.

My hand size works with the USP, and I have unusually long thumbs so I can drop the mags with my thumb without shifting my grip, same with the rest of the HKs that I've tried.
    My experience is that the match trigger improves SA but not much DA weight. I have trouble reliably deactivating the thumb safety with a fast appendix draw with the USP 45 FS, and went to V3, which makes that lever only a decocker. I can reach the safety in the USP FS 9/40, but without a lever, I can get enough higher on the grip to matter. The match hybrid LEM is a special enough trigger, it seems a shame to have a USP FS without it!

Quote Originally Posted by Duces Tecum View Post
    No wish to derail this thread, but I've been noodling around the thought of a H&K USP-F (.45 ACP) carried AIWB. The measurements seem to suggest it would work, but I know of nobody who's doing it.

Could you comment on the practicality of a USP-F with AIWB carry, please? And perhaps compare it to a G-17, also AIWB?

I'm 71" and 180 lbs, 42"chest and 35" waist. (This may not be relevant, but I think I remember reading somewhere that body size can be an issue with AIWB.)
    I am 6-1, 170 pounds, and regularly carry the USP FS 45 in a George, including when flying. I shot Gabe's class with an Expert in 9 from a George.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Point Aficionado View Post
    For a negative, I hate the internal catch to keep the hammer off the firing pin when decocking. If it chips, I may not know and then be relying on the firing pin block to do its job as the pin regularly slams into it.
    Do you have any data points to back this up?
    Taking a break from social media.

Quote Originally Posted by CCT125US View Post
    Do you have any data points to back this up?
    Match or LEM conversion with old-style internals is known to deactivate the catch. A poster on another forum made mention on a discharge while decocking a USP series pistol with no immediately obvious issues. And I'm also a curmudgeon who likes visual confirmation that all is well when I drop a hammer.

Any downsides to the match lem aside from the cost to set it up? I imagine it's a fairly complicated setup, do they stand up to a heavy dry-fire routine? Can the compact not be set up in match lem configuration?

Quote Originally Posted by DocSabo40 View Post
    Any downsides to the match lem aside from the cost to set it up? I imagine it's a fairly complicated setup, do they stand up to a heavy dry-fire routine? Can the compact not be set up in match lem configuration?
    As I recall, HK CS charged +/- $120 to install the match hybrid LEM, which is less costly than I could find the parts alone. No issues that I have experienced, or I have read about, in terms of durability. They can do the same trigger, less the USP FS trigger with over travel stop on the Compact. The USP series has significantly shorter reset than a P series trigger.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List