Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: HK USP: what do I need to know?

You probably know this already but they have a proprietary rail made for the hk Utl light. 90 lumens. Otherwise GG&G makes an adapter to fit modern lights

Do those polymer full size USP 9/40 mags (left out "mags" in the original post. Hope this makes more sense) hold up well? I realize HK makes a quality product, but it isn't a design they shared with anything else, which makes me wonder.

Is the grip circumference slightly less on the USP 9/40 c models than the full size models?
    Last edited by JTQ; 12-05-2016 at 09:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post
    Do those polymer full size USP 9/40 hold up well? I realize HK makes a quality product, but it isn't a design they shared with anything else, which makes me wonder.

Is the grip circumference slightly less on the USP 9/40 c models than the full size models?
    The USP is probably the most robust pistol design in history next to the Mark 23.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Ooops, bad post above. The key word missing from my post was "mags". The first sentence should have read...

Do those polymer full size USP 9/40 mags hold up well?
    Leaving out "mags" really made it sound like a dumb question. It still may be, but probably not as dumb.
    Last edited by JTQ; 12-05-2016 at 09:05 PM.

I carried a USP 40 and then a USP 45 for the better part of 10 years. The later was cocked and locked and I thought it was an amazing pistol....having wished I would have skipped over my 1911 phase and went right to the USP C/L. I had the V9/10 detent plate so there was no decocker. Just a thumb safety. I think if you want to carry cocked and locked that is the way to go to avoid inadvertent de cocking. I had a surefire rail adapter and carried it with x200. (Anyone left handed interested in a custom made Ted Blocker basket weave Duty Holster to accommodate C/L and a weapon light?)

I broke the firing pin dry firing in about 2000 with one of those firing pin affected models and HK must have been in one of their phases of amazing CS because they had UPS at my house by the end of the day and the pistol back in about a week.

I would shoot a USP 9 in USPSA Production...if I already had one. You can* cut a number of coils off the hammer spring to create a shootable DA. The SA is GTG. IF you wanted to shoot L-10 I think you are ready to go with a USP45 Cocked and Locked but depending on what part of the country you are in you may find yourself competing against yourself.

Recoil springs are tough to change but if you have the patience and nerve and strong fingernails you can do it. Trigger returns springs are dooable too. I never broke one.

Mags are expensive but I never wore one out or broke one...dropping them on a concrete range floor.
    Last edited by nwhpfan; 12-05-2016 at 09:09 PM.
    A71593

There's a lightly used USP9 LEM in the case at the local gun dealer that I have been eyeing for a bit now. He dropped the price on it last month and no one has bought it yet...

Gotta wait to find out how much my final out lay on the holiday cabin will be, but I'm seriously thinking about walking in with a roll and trying to lowball it. Stuff like that just doesn't sell in my area.

My original plan was to stick with the DA/SA setup, probably of the match variety. I'm passingly familiar with the LEM system, but I've only briefly read of the match LEM hybrid. Is this an LEM with some components of the match kit?

Yeah. LEM components with the Match springs and trigger, IIRC.

Quote Originally Posted by DocSabo40 View Post
    My original plan was to stick with the DA/SA setup, probably of the match variety. I'm passingly familiar with the LEM system, but I've only briefly read of the match LEM hybrid. Is this an LEM with some components of the match kit?
    Yes, it is like a long travel SA match trigger for the initial pull, and shorter travel for successive shots depending upon your technique.

BCL and I damaged our trigger finger from serious USP DA practice. It isn't like a dainty Sig or Beretta DA. If you are looking for a defensive trigger, more than a gaming one, the hybrid match LEM in the USP FS is considered by many, to be the best trigger there is on an HK hammer gun.

The Expert is an amazing long range pistol, but a bit pogo-ey for fast shooting. The Compact is Glock 19 sized with a different recoil system than the USP FS and a great carry gun. The USP 45 FS is in a class of its own, as a rough and tumble pistol, that launches Super without modification.

SLG finds the FS USP on the large size for his hands, while it is fine for me. Not sure about your hand size.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I have a USP Compact in .45 ACP. It is a very accurate and reliable pistol. It is completely original except that H&K just replaced the firing pin under warranty. In addition, I put Talon grip decals on it for increased traction. It's a version 1 that I carry cocked and locked. I have never accidentally decocked the hammer although, to be fair, I have never used it under extreme stress.

User Tag List