Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .38 LRN?

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar

.38 LRN?

Any thoughts about LAX Ammo, Privi Partizan or Seller & Beloit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Privi Partizan leaded up my Ruger Sp101 to the point of keyholing at 15 yards within 50 rounds. Whether that says more about the SP101 or the ammo, I'm not sure.

Haven't tried LRN in Seller & Belloit but other S&B .38s were reliable, pretty accurate and hot. No experience with LAX.

The S&B 130 fmj does well in my J's. Clean and full power. I do not shoot lead, because it is gonna lead
    Last edited by Leroy Suggs; 12-05-2016 at 03:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hubcap View Post
    The S&B 130 fmj does well in my J's. Clean and full power. I do not shoot lead, because it is gonna lead
    Lead might be a little kinder to old guns.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

I wonder if full wadcutters may be easier to find good loads? Do they shoot to the same point, or close enough in your gun?

It was either Magtech or S&B ammunition that made me think about the possibilities of .38 RNL as defensive ammunition. As in, you've got your six rounds, and then you can use the smoke cloud to cover your escape... (The advertisement slogan "I can't believe it's not black powder!" also came to mind.)

Unfortunately, since it wasn't my gun, I can't be certain of the ammo brand. I'd recommend not buying too much of the S&B until you've had a chance to test it, just to be on the safe side.

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    I wonder if full wadcutters may be easier to find good loads? Do they shoot to the same point, or close enough in your gun?
    Don't know about that, I just got the gun. LRNs shoot close enough to POA.

I'll probably buy a few boxes of different stuff from SG Ammo and then see.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Lead might be a little kinder to old guns.
    Consider the BHA Cowboy Action load in .38 LC. It's a very soft recoiling 158 RNL, minimal leading. http://www.black-hills.com/shop/cowb.../38-long-colt/

Their 148gr HBWC is also very good, soft recoiling, leads a bit more. http://www.black-hills.com/shop/new-...mo/38-special/

AE loads a 158gr RNL (AE38B) that has also been pretty decent for me. https://www.federalpremium.com/ammun...-handgun/ae38b
    Last edited by ST911; 12-05-2016 at 08:43 PM.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Lead bullets and revolvers:
    The bullet must be sized such that it is a tight slip-fit in the cylinder's throats and at least 0.001" over actual groove diameter of the barrel.
    Over-sized bullets are better than under-sized.
    A soft over-sized bullet is superior to a HARD under-sized bullet.
    A soft bullet can be bumped up in diameter from pressure and a HARD bullet can't be.
    Lead has been used successfully for over 100 years, but today, lead bullets are suddenly unacceptable due to leading.
    Maybe it was the wrong bullet and not the bullet's construction?

Quote Originally Posted by MK11 View Post
    Privi Partizan leaded up my Ruger Sp101 to the point of keyholing at 15 yards within 50 rounds. Whether that says more about the SP101 or the ammo, I'm not sure.

Haven't tried LRN in Seller & Belloit but other S&B .38s were reliable, pretty accurate and hot. No experience with LAX.
    Soft lead and stainless rarely does well together. I've run cast from wheel weights in my 686 with little to no leading. Softer, purer lead will gall it up within 15-20 rounds.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

User Tag List