Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Carry comps

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    This would be an expensive way to find out:

http://www.wilsoncombat.com/carry-comp/
    Fixed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Similarly, STI has something, I think it's the Costa carry comp. (having trouble with a good link from my phone here). 2011 with sight tracker comp setup (like the Agency Arms NOC).
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Seems like AA comp is only available within a $3,000 Glock project? Is Agency Arms a part of Wilson Combat?

Carry comps

Quote Originally Posted by LOKNLOD View Post
    Similarly, STI has something, I think it's the Costa carry comp. (having trouble with a good link from my phone here). 2011 with sight tracker comp setup (like the Agency Arms NOC).

STI Costa carry comp

Agency arms noc

Could someone explain why the sights are on the barrel/comp?

Also, I've seen a few different glock barrel makers tease new comps on Instagram. Voodoo posted one from blackrifleco.
    Last edited by JCS; 12-04-2016 at 08:51 PM.
    "Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

Quote Originally Posted by 1776United View Post

STI Costa carry comp

Agency arms noc

Also, I've seen a few different glock barrel makers tease new comps on Instagram. Voodoo posted one from blackrifleco.

It's supposed to help in tracking the sight easier/faster because the front sight is not reciprocating.

Quote Originally Posted by 1776United View Post

STI Costa carry comp

Agency arms noc

Thanks dude.

By putting the sights on a surface that doesn't reciprocate, the intent is that the front sight is easier to track during recoil cycle. Similar, in principle at least, to the advantage you've got with a frame-mounted MRDS vs slide mounted.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

I was pondering this thread while bored at the movies....

I suppose I should expand on my own misconceptions I mentioned rather than just through that out like an asshole. I had been shooting a slide ride dot for a couple months prior to getting into open and even then I screwed around with a crappy .40 open thing I cobbled together first. So I was familiar with the dot but I think I was expecting my first real open gun to shoot super flat with the dot never leaving the glass with basically no effort on my part. Turns out it doesn't work that way. You still need to grip the shit out of the gun, it's just that the dot returns much faster and more predictably than without the comp. It obviously reduces recoil, but it doesn't make it airsoft.

But anyways, this discussion reminded me of a old ass IPSC video, in it Rob Leatham is interviewed talking about comps. He basically said you had to choose between soft or flat, but you couldn't have both. The comps back then looked a lot like a carry comp. There isn't much gas (volume or muzzle pressure) to work with on a .45 (.38 super, improved powders and ramped barrels eventually changed that) so a flat comp had the baffles angled forward, a soft comp had a vertical baffle. The limited gas meant more chambers didn't really help at all.

Here's a crappy pic I scrounged of an old IPSC open comp in .38super, you can just see the forward angle in the front portion of the port.
    Name:  412012067.jpg
Views: 1476
Size:  39.9 KB

From pictures, it looks like most of the carry comps of the type you guys are talking about are of the "soft" variety.

i used to wannabe

Site Supporter
    I seem to remember there was also a desire to get the front sight out as far as possible for a longer sight radius. I fondly remember stopping off at behlerts shop to look at the carry comps

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    That should be "welfareopenpistol-forum"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Tag List