Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Fitness / Smartwatch choice.

Site Supporter
    Bit of a casual user but I have found the Health on my iPhone to be quiet helpful. You might be looking for more horsepower.

Quote Originally Posted by hiro View Post
    A great resource for gadgets like these is www.dcrainmaker.com detailed reviews from a dude who seems to have used just about every GPS/HRM out there.
    I get a blank screen there.

I'm interested in this topic because I was thinking of getting the wife a fitness monitor/smart watch for Christmas. Most of them seem to be pretty large, though, so I was looking at Fitbits. (I think she has one of the earlier models that "just" tracks activity.) I think she'd also appreciate the ability to dress a Charge or Alta up with a replacement strap.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Hey Drang, I clicked the link in your quote and it loaded for me. I'll repost the link from a laptop shortly.

Been using my fitbit to track activity, calories, sleep, and etc.

IMHO: The data, and being able to analyze it, is what is more important than the device...

I have a Garmin Vivoactive HR, it works great. HR and GPS is pretty accurate while running. I almost bought a Forerunner 235 as well because I started running more but at the time they were brand new and having alot of issues, particularly with the HR monitor and I didn't want to risk it. Not sure if they've worked out the bugs yet.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by FOG; 12-05-2016 at 02:20 PM.

Reposting link, hopefully this works for you all

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/

Used an Ambit 1 coupled with a chest strap for years. Chest strap went belly up so I went looking for a replacement last year. Part of my requirements were to ditch the chest strap so my comments may not 100% be applicable. Wrist based HR measurement is cool, but not all units work as advertised. Additionally, how you're built and how your body works will have an impact on the gadget performance. I went through Fitbit, Charge and Surge and a Garmin jobber. None would work for squat FOR ME. Worked fine for my wife and even a coworker. However, not a darned thing I could do to make them reliable. I'd loose HR or they would register me as the worlds fittest man (48Bpm after a 2 hrs bike ride where I felt like puking) or a heart attack happening while sitting at my desk (190Bpm). The most consistent device FOR ME was an Apple Watch. Works great for cardio and gets relatively consistent readings without loosing signal too often. Not a good deal during strength training, but then nothing wrist based worked at all during strength training. Being a recreational fitness guy (aka slob) the watch met my needs. If/when it goes belly up ill probably go back to an Ambit variant. I also miss the ability for the gadget to talk with fitness equipment.

Whatever you get, buy from a reputable dealer that has a good return policy. REI, Best Buy or similar that won't charge you a restock fee.

Quote Originally Posted by Les Pepperoni View Post
    Been using my fitbit to track activity, calories, sleep, and etc.

IMHO: The data, and being able to analyze it, is what is more important than the device...
    For sure. When I first started using/selling HRM way back, I read Sally Edwards Heart Rate Monitor book. It's all very well knowing what your heart rate is doing, it's using the info to structure your training to get the best out of the time you put in.

Quote Originally Posted by FOG View Post
    I have a Garmin Vivoactive HR, it works great. HR and GPS is pretty accurate while running. I almost bought a Forerunner 235 as well because I started running more but at the time they were brand new and having alot of issues, particularly with the HR monitor and I didn't want to risk it. Not sure if they've worked out the bugs yet.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk
    I think the FR235 was the first HRM Garmin offered with a wrist sensor and I think it was after Garmin bought Mio, the company at the time were the better of the wrist based solutions but I remember our Garmin rep being very noncommittal about the technology.

So far the ambit3 looks pretty promising. Perhaps a little more expensive than I wanted but also more versatile. It'll also work with my Polar H7

I have no issues with the chest strap. The polar strap is super reliable in everything I've been doing.

I was using MapMyRun to track runs, hikes, and rucks for the past 2 years. But when I got the HR strap I realized they wanted me to pay a monthly fee to see the HR data... No thanks! Now I'm using Sport Active which is free on Android.

User Tag List