Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Fitness / Smartwatch choice.

I'm still pleased with my Ambit3. GPS and He has been fantastic for running, ruckin, and hiking.

I do think it would be nice to have wrist Hr in addition to a chest strap. I started CrossFit recently and found the chest strap interferes with some lifts. It's not critical to know my HR but I've gotten in the habit of tracking my progress with it.

The nav feature has been nice when hiking. I've marked some hilltops as POIs when scouting. Makes it easy to find the same spot twice as the season changes, or keep track of which creek is which.

Apple Watch guys, which size did you get and why? What case material and band did you get from the factory? what, if any, aftermarket band are you using?

Finally got my Fenix 5 sapphire performance bundle in. Only took a month after I pre-ordered...

The watch has so many features it'll probably take me a good two weeks of messing around to find all the little things.

So far the watch is exactly what I want, it has a pretty good heart rate read, I compared it to a heart rate machine (digital) and its pretty accurate. Charges fast and doesnt seem to really eat battery, but it's new and that's normal.

I'll do a photo/write up and post on my site. But I think this is gana be a winner for what I want out of a smart watch.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Site Supporter
    I bought a Fenix 3 Sapphire with the metal band and a chest strap heart rate monitor to go with it a few weeks ago and so far I love it. It's not bad looking, so I can wear it to the office and not look out of place, I like the functionality for exercise and activity tracking, it reminds me to move when I sit at my desk for a long time and it's been fairly easy to figure out how to use. The battery life is very good, too. I found a great deal on a refurbished (by Garmin) unit so I saved quite a bit off retail as well. All in was about $320.

Wife bought me a Fenix 3 HR for Xmas and have been digging it. Good HR even without the chest strap. Chest strap has a lot of metrics if you run (foot strike, balance...) Waterproof to 100M so all kids of watersports are good to go. For me even with daily use (GPS walking, weights...) I get a full week on a charge. Mu biggest gripe with teh Apple Whats was the constant charging. Ive gotten 2 weeks without much activity. Integration with the iPhone is good enough for me. Definitely nothing like the Apple Watch, but good enough for my needs (notifications namely calendar)Havent really gone crazy with the apps for it, so no comment there.

Bumping this back up, as I'm interested in updated experiences from Apple Watch users.

I have had an Apple Watch series 2 for 22 months and my wife has had a 3 for 8. I’ve used Fitbits in the past and was a Nike+ user since their introduction. The AW does everything I want it to do as a watch and as a fitness tracker; my Cartier sits in a drawer unless I’m dressing way up. The AW3 is a game changer, though— the ability to have a functional phone on your person at all times is huge. I won’t run without a phone, but they’re clumsy and fragile things.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    Finally got my Fenix 5 sapphire performance bundle in. Only took a month after I pre-ordered...

The watch has so many features it'll probably take me a good two weeks of messing around to find all the little things.

So far the watch is exactly what I want, it has a pretty good heart rate read, I compared it to a heart rate machine (digital) and its pretty accurate. Charges fast and doesnt seem to really eat battery, but it's new and that's normal.

I'll do a photo/write up and post on my site. But I think this is gana be a winner for what I want out of a smart watch.
    5X sapphire is my "go to" smartwatch.
    I get almost 2 weeks out of a charge if I'm not using the GPS a lot and a solid 2 days if i'm hitting the GPS regularly.
    Great watch especially if you're an outdoors person.

Attachment 34320
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Bumping this back up, as I'm interested in updated experiences from Apple Watch users.
    Will have more feedback w/ my AW4 (non cellular) eventually, using it since mid Dec. as my work watch. A Fenix 3 has been my outdoor piece the last 2 years for running, match use, etc, etc.
    No complaints thus far, battery gets me easily thru the day & allows me to keep my phone in the pocket for monitoring & replying to personal email/texts & it also plays well w/ my Airpods using Spotify.

Not relevant but when Spotify updates their app to be more than a controller I'll set the Fenix 3 aside, as that'll allow me to not carry a phone for tunes on my runs as I need all distractions I can get at this age just getting 20 per week.
    Rob as we were both students & friends of Pat, I can just hear his comments now on my wearing an AW during a class w/ him, I'm certain he would have something entertaining to say no doubt. That said in my 3-4 current matches per month, the Fenix 3 will continue to get the wrist time as it's just a more rugged watch IMO & certainly for tracking distances etc.
    Last edited by OldRunner/CSAT Neighbor; 01-19-2019 at 08:58 PM.

British hit men like the Garmin Forerunner

https://www.runnersworld.com/news/a2...hitman-murder/

Maybe not so much anymore.
    Last edited by Tabasco; 01-20-2019 at 11:53 AM.

User Tag List