Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fitness / Smartwatch choice.

Fitness / Smartwatch choice.

I've started getting more serious about working out this year and I'm looking at possibly getting a Fitness or smart watch thing for Christmas. I started using a Polar H7 pulse strap with my phone and its proven to be incredibly useful for long endurance training. I've also learned that screwing around with a phone while working out is a PITA, especially when sweating.

Here's what I want: a thing that goes on my wrist which will work with my HR chest strap and track distance with GPS and then sync with a phone or tablet post workout. Must be waterproof enough for swimming(perhaps unintentionally). Primary use is heart rate training while rucking, hiking, running, or cross training. Secondary is tracking distance and pace via GPS.

What I don't need or want: a shiny looking gadget built for face-tubing or you-twating while you stationary bike at the gym. I won't wear this unless working out and I have no use for step counting, sleep monitoring, or any of that nonsense.

Does anyone have any experience with this stuff? Is any of it useful?

Definitely interested in what you hear about these things.

I've been thinking in 2017 I'd like to try a Fitbit/whatever they are called. My iPhone is tied to my calorie counter (MyFitnessPal) but I don't carry it absolutely everywhere.

I use a Suunto Ambit2 paired with a Mio LINK, and has worked well.

I would suggest looking at an Ambit3, since the Ambit2 is older and does not have Bluetooth technology, and thus can only sync with a PC and communicate only via ANT+. The Ambit3 is probably due for replacement soon, so they're currently on sale on the Suunto website itself, but can also be found pretty cheap on Amazon. I would suggest the Ambit3 Sport if you plan on using it for cycling and/or swimming, or else the Ambit3 Run if it'll be strictly for running stuff (the Run is still water resistant, it simply makes no provision for recording swimming activity). If you also want to use it as an outdoor watch (outdoor navigation, barometer function, etc.), I'd get the Ambit3 Peak, which is a fair bit more expensive than the Sport or Run.

I'll also note that Suunto is on Experticity (formerly known as Promotive), should you qualify.

I'm a long time user of Garmin fitness devices and would recommend them. They will provide you the features on your list. The newest Forerunners (aimed mostly for runners) measure HR on the wrist with an optical sensor on the back of the watch, which is nice because it doesn't require a strap. We've come a long way since the the first Forerunners, and the latest devices are great - plenty of battery life, good GPS performance, rugged, and some you can wear as a daily watch. The newest devices have some features that I would characterize as gimmicks, but maybe I'm old school. I've used just about every software (computer and web based) that's been available over the last ten years, and you will have plenty of choices.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

I used to wear FitBit products, first the Flex (until it stopped taking a charge), and then I upgraded to the Charge. The Charge band began to come apart after only 3 months, and I found out that this was a common issue with the Charge models. After spending nearly $200 with FitBit, I decided to purchase an Apple Watch. It works great with my iPhone, and the newer model doesn't need an iPhone present when going for a run or walk.

That's an old article. The Garmin Forerunner in the article is the 210. I have one of those. That was one of my favorite Forerunners and was a nice device for its time (except for the problematic charging clip and a little difficulty pairing to a new HRM), but that model has been discontinued for a while now (although you can still buy them from Amazon and places like that). I wouldn't get a 210 now because it doesn't have the optical monitor that measures HR on the wrist.

Here are the current Garmin models:

current Garmin Forerunners
    Last edited by trailrunner; 12-04-2016 at 07:01 PM.

A couple of more thoughts:

- As you can tell, I'm a fan of the wrist-based HR measurement. I used a HR chest strap for so long that it felt naked when I ran or rode without it, but now that I don't need it, it's one less thing I have to worry about. The wrist-based HR measurement isn't perfect, but neither was the chest strap. I still have some HR gel around the house somewhere, and I still remember spitting all over my strap before a run or ride in the dry winter months.

- I'm not a fan of the touch screens, at least on the Garmins. My fingers are too big and my eyes are too old. They work OK, but I'm old school and prefer buttons.

- One limitation on Garmin Forerunners is that Garmin has refused to put in a barometric altimeter in their running-only devices. This has always annoyed me because GPS altitude is pretty much worthless, and baro altimeters are standard equipment on their Edges (bike computers). To get a baro altimeter on a Forerunner, you have to move to their multi sport watches (such as the 920xt), or get a Fenix.

The devices from different manufacturers have more in common with each other than differences. What really separates devices now are the support apps. If you're happy with Polar app, Beat or whatever you're using, I'd stick with Polar. If you're not happy with the app, I'd find the fitness app first and then find a compatible device.

If you're serious about heart rate training and you don't already have Heart Monitor Training for the Compleat Idiot I'd start there.

https://www.amazon.com/Heart-Monitor.../dp/1891369849

Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    Does anyone have any experience with this stuff? Is any of it useful?
    If you like tracking data they are fun. If you can realistically analyze data and apply it to your training program, they are invaluable. Heart rate training can be a beating since it usually requires putting on the brakes, and reeling back on the work to stay in the lower heart rate zone, and workouts that are live and die by the watch.

They can also derail progress and be demotivating when the users starts to over-analyze data.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

Another vote for Garmin, I use an Edge 520 for cycling and am very happy with it. I prefer chest strap HRM, I'm 6 months out of date on wrist mounted HRM but in the consumer side of things I believe the jury is still out on them. For a lot of people they work well but there are a decent number who do not get reliable heart readings as the wrist strap doesn't quite fit and without good contact, you don't get good numbers. It's true for any electronics but for peace of mind, buy from a retailer with a good returns policy.

I use Garmin's Connect app on my iPhone to upload data at the end of every session with Bluetooth. It's worked seamlessly for the last year with the data automatically uploading to the website if you prefer to view on a larger screen. The only time I plug the Edge into my laptop is to charge it or update the firmware tho the firmware seems to update thru my phone too.

A great resource for gadgets like these is www.dcrainmaker.com detailed reviews from a dude who seems to have used just about every GPS/HRM out there.

ETA I agree on the touch screen vs buttons point that trail runner posted. If you're used to the quality of a current smart phone's touch screen, most GPS/HRM screens are a massive let down. Buttons are easy to use all year round, gloves, sweat or wet with rain the buttons work.
    Last edited by hiro; 12-04-2016 at 07:51 PM.

User Tag List