Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Which is harder, new IDPA Classifier or Classic?

Other than possibly David Ohlasso or James McGinty, none of the shooters I run with in IDPA have either seen someone shoot a Master class Classifier or know of someone how had. Most of the Masters I am familiar with other then David & James got their rank by a match bump.

I have yet to shoot the new classifier, hopefully the beginning of next month, so I have no real opinion of the new classifier harder or easier.

I will tell you that the new 1 second for each point down penalty has me rethinking may match strategy. Where I would not take a makeup shot for a -1 I am now giving it serious thought.
    Scott
    Only Hits Count - The Faster the Hit the more it Counts!!!!!!; DELIVER THE SHOT!
    Stephen Hillier - "An amateur practices until he can do it right, a professional practices until he can't do it wrong."

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_White View Post
    I wouldn't dispute that that's part of it because I am pretty unfamiliar with IDPA match bumps and I really don't know. But, back when I first started shooting USPSA and barely squeaked into B-class, I could routinely shoot the old IDPA Classifier at the Master level, at least in practice.
    You shoot USPSA the hard way though .

FWIW, a couple years ago I switched 100% to USPSA right after I shot the IDPA classifier at a master level in a match (around ~89 seconds), and also initially classified as a B, but partly due to the way USPSA initially classifies shooters by including every score you shoot, no matter how wide of a range the scores are. After a handful of matches to roll off a couple low anchor scores, I easily jumped to A and then M in a short time period. I always felt like USPSA initial classification lags a bit behind where a shooter really stands as a result, which leads to the common analogy that USPSA B = IDPA M.

I most recently shot the old IDPA classifier in about 65 seconds last summer including about 4 points down for the course. I haven't spent any time on the new one yet, but just looking at the stages and knowing how my times would be, I would guess I would land in the 45-55 second range, so I don't think there would be a whole lot of difference in the margin I came in under M class scores. The change to 1 second per point down would certainly make it harder for shooters who drop more points to do well though.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nesbitt View Post
    I'm going to just shoot the way I always have and see what shakes out.

Inaccurate shooters will have to learn accuracy without losing speed.
    I shot the Classifier twice today. I said I was just going to shoot the way I always have and see what shakes out. It's not very pretty. Too many points down. I guess I'll have to heed my own advice.

When I was B class in USPSA I shot a master IDPA classifier in SSP. I think I was like 1 second under the limit. Barely made it.

I finally got to shoot the new classifier. I have to say, it felt a lot easier. Seemed a lot faster to shoot too - that ought to help running larger groups of people through the classifier.

I like the new Classifier better and think it is easier physically (not from a marksmanship or speed perspective) because of the changes to Stage 3 String 2. I think the requirement in the old Classifier to kneel behind the barrel added a physical fitness measure to the Classifier to worry about in addition to speed and accuracy. I think the new Classifier eliminates that and now has speed and accuracy as a measure through all stages. If you had bad knees or were out of shape and not very flexible, shooting while kneeling behind the barrel and worrying about cover lines I think added some factors that interfered with measuring speed and accuracy. I find that in my matches, there are two things that usually trip me up more than my actual shooting skills (speed & accuracy) and that is physical fitness and being a bit ADD, so in others words, having physically demanding positions such as shooting from low ports USPSA style or forgetting critical parts of stage instructions and collecting Procedurals.

User Tag List