Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which is harder, new IDPA Classifier or Classic?

Which is harder, new IDPA Classifier or Classic?

So I've never shot an IDPA match but I shoot the IDPA Classifier all the time. Or at least the old one. I shoot it at least a dozen times a year. I've found it a fun way to track my progress over the last couple years. I always* shoot it in my own "USPSA Version" since competitively I'm primarily a USPSA shooter, I shoot it from USPSA Production Gear and using USPSA targets. For what that is worth. I usually end up in the mid 70's with a PR just under 70.

With the "New" IDPA Classifier out I decided to give it a try and I video'd myself doing it. I shot this cold and used a holster and mag pouch I've never used before to be IDPA compliant.

I'm curious to know which one people think is harder. New or Classic?

Last edited by nwhpfan; 12-04-2016 at 03:07 PM.
    A71593

got me beat. i shot it a few weeks ago, i'm still a SS.

Quote Originally Posted by DAB View Post
    got me beat. i shot it a few weeks ago, i'm still a SS.
    Which do you think is harder though?
    A71593

old one. more shots at 20 yards (18 old, 6 new), more draws (which punishes those with slow draws). new one strikes me as more like a typical match, with either 6 or 12 shot strings (average of 9 shots per string). you still can't miss the head shots, and with the 1 second per point, it really punishes misses more. best i've shot for record was 130, which is 1.44 seconds/shot. that same ratio applied to the new one would put me at 104, just a few seconds from EX, but with more penalties for misses, i'm still mid-pack SS. best practice so far is 116. if i can get rid of mistakes, i think i can move up to EX this year. i should be able to shoot stages 1 and 2 clean, and try to limit stage 3 to 10 down or less. aim dammit! stay tuned.

I haven't shot the "New Classifier" yet. After all, we just concluded the Comment Period yesterday, they might still change that and more before it is adopted.

But it LOOKS easier. Fewer 20 yard shots, fewer head shots, and no kneeling. (My arthritis thanks you.) I assume the intent is for Joyce Count scoring to keep scores in the same brackets.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

I think the old one is harder. The new one weights the draw, SHO, and distance shooting proportionately less, and emphasizes reloads more. And just going by number of shots, the new one is 80% the size of the old one.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_White View Post
    I think the old one is harder. The new one weights the draw, SHO, and distance shooting proportionately less, and emphasizes reloads more. And just going by number of shots, the new one is 80% the size of the old one.
    In other words....Classifier Lite???

Actually that's not a bad thing. If you ever shot the classifier as a club match it's a long day. In the past I would SO the match and my stage 1 & 2 score are in the master class area. By stage 3 my brain is toast and my scores reflect it. When just shooting it with a friend I litterly am nipping at the heals of Master class. Last year I posted my best score with only 9 pionts down.
    Last edited by rsa-otc; 12-06-2016 at 11:36 AM.
    Scott
    Only Hits Count - The Faster the Hit the more it Counts!!!!!!; DELIVER THE SHOT!
    Stephen Hillier - "An amateur practices until he can do it right, a professional practices until he can't do it wrong."

I haven't decided yet. I've recorded my IDPA Classifier scores every time I've shot it since 1997.

Expert to start. Around 2000 I started to shoot Master scores in SSP. I added Master classifications in the other divisions until I got CDP in 2009 and I was a 5 gun Master. I have shot it in practice a few times every year. Scores lately have been very high Exp to low Master.

I have shot the new Classifier 5 or 6 times. I still haven't quite shot a Master score on it. I've dropped too many points.

I think the one second vs. 1/2 second scoring makes them hard to compare. You could drop a lot more points on the old one and still come out OK.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nesbitt View Post
    I haven't decided yet. I've recorded my IDPA Classifier scores every time I've shot it since 1997.

Expert to start. Around 2000 I started to shoot Master scores in SSP. I added Master classifications in the other divisions until I got CDP in 2009 and I was a 5 gun Master. I have shot it in practice a few times every year. Scores lately have been very high Exp to low Master.

I have shot the new Classifier 5 or 6 times. I still haven't quite shot a Master score on it. I've dropped too many points.

I think the one second vs. 1/2 second scoring makes them hard to compare. You could drop a lot more points on the old one and still come out OK.
    That where I have hope for the new course.

Subconsciously I refuse to game it and drop points to gain that extra little bit of speed to push me over the hump into Master; preferring to whittle away at the points while running at the same or a little better speed while maintaining control.
    Scott
    Only Hits Count - The Faster the Hit the more it Counts!!!!!!; DELIVER THE SHOT!
    Stephen Hillier - "An amateur practices until he can do it right, a professional practices until he can't do it wrong."

I thought the older one was fairly easy to shoot Master. As I began to train and work towards becoming the best shooter I could be I routinely shot it in the mid 70's. I shot it once in a flat out "hoser speed" mode and shot it in the 50's and even with penalties had a Master Class score. I shot it for "accuracy" mode, going for zero penalties and again came well within Master scoring. When I shot the new classifier I went for that "accuracy" mode because 1 second is very hard to recover from. That really didn't work out so well as I had 9 seconds in penalties but in the end I was about 5% inside of the Master score. The previous I would be 20%. Maybe if I shoot it again under a "match mode", or maybe I'd could cut a couple seconds by being more in tune to the stage requirements and I might come in much lower. My first impression is the new version is "harder." I look forward to shooting this more and more to see if my opinion changes because to be fair, I have shot the original a few dozen times so perhaps the familiarity lent itself to my impression it was easy...IDK. Very interested in others thoughts on this.
    Last edited by nwhpfan; 12-06-2016 at 01:26 PM.
    A71593

User Tag List