Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Egg nog and related adult versions

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    So, just as a starting point, my wife and I tried Lex's recipe. We cut the alcohol content pretty significantly, but everything else was the same. Used Bacardi Gold this time.

Anyway, it didn't come out that sweet. very un-nog like actually. what did I do wrong?
    Did you like it? Because if you did, you did nothing wrong.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

I am somewhat familiar with both alcohol and eggnog.

I frequently use store-bought versions of both. If there is a Braum's store near you, you may wish to try their eggnog. It's quite good, since they start with just pure milk. None of their milk comes from a dairy that uses any hormones or additives.

And speaking of additives, I usually just pour in a small dollop of Bourbon Cream from those nice folks at Buffalo Trace: http://www.buffalotracedistillery.co.../bourbon-cream

It also makes a very nice grown-up milkshake, that is excellent with a summer BBQ. I have also drizzled a wee bit over the top of a slice of pecan pie, and received numerous approving looks.

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    I am somewhat familiar with both alcohol and eggnog.

I frequently use store-bought versions of both. If there is a Braum's store near you, you may wish to try their eggnog. It's quite good, since they start with just pure milk. None of their milk comes from a dairy that uses any hormones or additives.

And speaking of additives, I usually just pour in a small dollop of Bourbon Cream from those nice folks at Buffalo Trace: http://www.buffalotracedistillery.co.../bourbon-cream

It also makes a very nice grown-up milkshake, that is excellent with a summer BBQ. I have also drizzled a wee bit over the top of a slice of pecan pie, and received numerous approving looks.
    Pecan Pie with Bourbon Cream sounds heavenly. That and a cup of really fresh black coffee....

SLG, glad that the James Beard recipe has worked for you. I will probably make some on Friday myself.
    And yeah, one gets quite a forearm workout whipping eggwhites by hand.
    Last edited by Lex Luthier; 12-07-2016 at 12:17 AM.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

So, just as a starting point, my wife and I tried Lex's recipe. We cut the alcohol content pretty significantly, but everything else was the same. Used Bacardi Gold this time.

Anyway, it didn't come out that sweet. very un-nog like actually. what did I do wrong?
    My dad made eggnog from scratch when I was a kid and my recollection is that it was horrible because, to a kid, it tasted nothing like the sugar bomb eggnog we got from the grocery store.

This thread has me thinking to remember to get the recipe from him...

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post

Love Bourbon-Cream! So much better than that Bailey's Irish stuff.....because bourbon
    Last edited by LSP552; 12-07-2016 at 06:45 AM.

There Are Two Types Of People IMG
    lol. I'm cool with not having a soul.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Okay I only have a minute so I'll be back later with the whole story but I had an incident with using 151 instead of proper rum in eggnog and got seriously fucked up and it made my tongue all numb and I was actually worried I'd hurt myself.

Anyway kraken is not bad but I also find it a bit dark for eggnog.

I was getting some captain Morgan that was 47? Percent or so and it was great. Nutmeg on top and done.

Or get Pusser's since you'll already have nutmeg and then you really just need pineapple juice and you can do Painkillers which are just awesome if you want to de-winterize.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

I go back and forth on bourbon or cognac for eggnog. For bourbon I keep it relatively simple and just go with good old fashioned Jim Beam, which seems to give the right flavor for store-bought eggnog.

For home-made eggnog and all of the creamy-richness of it - Hennessey or Maker's 46 adds a nice holiday punch.

Damnit, I have work to do, but now all I want to do is get drunk on spiked 'nog and watch bad Christmas movies.

No where but P-F can I be reading a thread about an educational beat down, and in that thread be referred to egg-nog thread. My mother had a great homemade recipe that included lots of bourbon, two or three other alcohols in smaller amounts, and actual whipped cream. It was great on coming out of the freezer after ice and milk crystals had formed.

Of the store bought, Braums and Southern Comfort are the best to me, but nothing could touch what my mother could make from scratch.

User Tag List