Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Egg nog and related adult versions

Both of those sound delicious^^^

My Dad made scratch eggnog and dosed it with Four Roses.
    But then my folks soaked fruitcake in Constitution port, too.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Here's how to make the best Egg Nog...

Add one ice cube to a rocks glass.
    Add desired amount of whiskey.
    Toss all that other shit in the trash.

Well, I don't use the ice, just a little water.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Found a video of the recipe I posted earlier - https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=adA2eS61yAs

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    So, just as a starting point, my wife and I tried Lex's recipe. We cut the alcohol content pretty significantly, but everything else was the same. Used Bacardi Gold this time.

Anyway, it didn't come out that sweet. very un-nog like actually. what did I do wrong?
    Not a thing wrong. It is biased pretty heavily toward a creamy flavor, which was a revelation to me when I first had it.
    Since you went light on the rum, you also reduced some of the sweetness. I note in the later post that you added some brown sugar and it gave a flavor you were more familiar with.

How do you like it a day later?
    Last edited by Lex Luthier; 12-06-2016 at 12:44 AM.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthier View Post
    Not a thing wrong. It is biased pretty heavily toward a creamy flavor, which was a revelation to me when I first had it.
    Since you went light on the rum, you also reduced some of the sweetness. I note in the later post that you added some brown sugar and it gave a flavor you were more familiar with.

How do you like it a day later?
    Well, I think the biggest mistake for us was the Bacardi Gold. We don't really like it, and much prefer the Kraken.

The nog is quite tasty, and I do really like the creaminess. Next time we will leave the alcohol out and just add it to our individual glasses I think. We really don't drink much, and even greatly reduced, I felt the alcohol pretty quick.

Its funny, we also eat almost no sugar, so most things seem much sweeter to us. The nog just needed some more sugar though for our holiday needs.:-) We may kill the salt too.

We whipped the whites by hand. That was some work.:-)

Site Supporter
    I wouldn't be so quick to kill the salt. Salt effectively amplifies a lot of flavors that already exist, so it's a good thing in my opinion.

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index....hances-flavor/

I have to slightly revise my previous estimation of Lex's recipe.

I just had a glass, as I'm home for the night, and it is actually pretty awesome. The bacardi seems to have mellowed in the last 27 hours or so, and the creamy, less sweet flavor of the nog is really shining. It is very smooth and wonderful. Much better than store bought.

Maybe it is like fruitcake, where the alcohol evaporates while the flavors blend? A little brandy can also make dry fruitcake moist and more palatable.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

User Tag List