Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Egg nog and related adult versions

Awesome, stuff guys, thanks! I'll become a drunk yet!

What gold rum do you recommend? We rather like the Kraken, but are happy to try something else too.

It's pretty hard to beat El Dorado Rum. The 12 yr stuff is great to mix and the 15 and 21 for sipping.

http://theeldoradorum.com/our-portfo...ed/12-year-old
    Last edited by LSP552; 12-05-2016 at 12:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ReverendMeat View Post
    Shit, I just buy a carton of 'nog from Freddies and throw in the cheapest 80 proof spiced rum I can find.
    I don't even go to that much effort.
    Name:  padutcheggnog.jpg
Views: 534
Size:  19.0 KB
    Pennsylvania Dutch Egg Nog

ETA: they have videos. who knew?
    Last edited by NEPAKevin; 12-05-2016 at 01:05 PM.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

Quote Originally Posted by LSP552 View Post
    It's pretty hard to beat El Dorado Rum. The 12 yr stuff is great to mix and the 15 and 21 for sipping.

http://theeldoradorum.com/our-portfo...ed/12-year-old
    El Dorado is some good stuff, especially so in the egg nog. My wife leans more towards the 15 year for mixing with hers...I cry a little every time I see her do that, lol.

Kraken is great for spiced rum. If you want a little bit more alcohol per volume, Sailor Jerry is good too. My favorite spiced rum is Chairman's Reserve Spiced. It's spiced enough that I suspect you could mix it with milk and it'd still taste much like egg nog with rum. Perfect for mixing with (diet) Coke, to me. I tend to get cheaper alcohols for mixing, and stick to Buffalo Trace or something along those lines for the whiskey when I want it.
    Jeff Martin
    Instagram

This rum is really, really good (it's not spiced). It has a delicious flavor - https://www.lacompagniedurhum.com/-g...RM_GOSL_01.cfm

"Bermuda- A rich dark rum with full and intricate flavors, it is well balanced and nuanced with butterscotch, vanilla and caramel notes. Fragrant, with herbal sharpness, and unusually complex." - Total Wine
    Last edited by Shawn Dodson; 12-05-2016 at 01:25 PM.

So, just as a starting point, my wife and I tried Lex's recipe. We cut the alcohol content pretty significantly, but everything else was the same. Used Bacardi Gold this time.

Anyway, it didn't come out that sweet. very un-nog like actually. what did I do wrong?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    Anyway, it didn't come out that sweet. very un-nog like actually. what did I do wrong?
    Nothing. Real eggnog, as opposed to the carton stuff, isn't very sweet.

Edit: I should add that I really love all but the lowest end carton stuff. I drink way too much of it every year. But real eggnog is in a different league.

Lex is a man of refinement and taste -- he likes many of my posts -- and I would work that angle. Maybe you could shoot some video and we could put coach's eye on it.

I should note that you live in an area where they stock Anderson & Erickson nog on grocery store shelves. This is great stuff for the kids and non-drinkers like me. I like it in coffee.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Good stuff to know JAD and Erik, thanks!

We like the less sweet aspect of it quite a bit, as we almost eat no sugar at all under normal circumstances. In this case, it just surprised us how different it was.

So...:-) The wife added some melted brown sugar to it, and now it is quite noggy! Too much alcohol still for the kids, so some Anderson will be coming home with us later today.

Also, both of us really like the way the Kraken interacts with the nog, rather than the Bacardi Gold. Once we are sure we're not addicted, we'll branch out and try some other stuff you guys have mentioned. I could see becoming an alcoholic really quickly this way. Kind of like girls and Zima, when I was in high school.

Here are my favorites:

Salted Caramel Eggnog
    Take a coffee cup or irish whiskey glass and cascade caramel around the inner sides of the cup.
    Add your shitty egg nog and a shot or two of Sailor Jerry (or similar spiced rum).
    Toss in a pinch of sea salt and a dash of nutmeg.
    Optional: whipped topping and more drizzled caramel.

Surviving Christmas Eggnog
    Fill a lowball glass with 3 fingers of your favorite bourbon.
    Quickly weigh the idea of adding eggnog then disregard.
    Add bourbon to taste.

User Tag List