Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: Egg nog and related adult versions

Couldn't coordinate a Halloween period mix party but we have been talking about a dull winter day session with ol' Alton.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Site Supporter
    I made a double batch of the Alton Brown recipe this year. That worked out to about 6 quarts and was definitely a hit on Christmas Eve.

Site Supporter
    Our neighbor brought us a bottle of egg nog for Christmas. It had some embellishments in it and was the best egg nog I've ever tasted. It was still awful, to the universal agreement of the 6 people that tried it. Then we opened the bottle of Buffalo Trace Bourbon Cream, which everyone loved.

We are not nog people, apparently.

I've heard nothing but great things about the Alton Brown recipe but have never tried it.
    In the spirit of FOMO, I'm up for giving it a try if I ever come across some.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Costco had bottles of Kirkland eggnog that were pretty good. I bought one because I saw a lot of people getting it.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Of the store-bought adult variety, this stuff is cheap and has rum, brandy, and whiskey.

https://www.totalwine.com/spirits/re...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotesfan97 View Post
    Costco had bottles of Kirkland eggnog that were pretty good. I bought one because I saw a lot of people getting it.
    Between that and the Kemp's eggnog ice cream stacked in my deep freeze, I can get my eggnog fix year round.

Never had the homemade stuff, but I'm definitely intrigued after reading this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by EricM View Post
    Between that and the Kemp's eggnog ice cream stacked in my deep freeze, I can get my eggnog fix year round.

Never had the homemade stuff, but I'm definitely intrigued after reading this thread.
    I am anog nut. As a kid I was always so excited for the Egg Nog flavored ice cream to show up at Baskin-Robbins. I go nuts for nog like people used to go nuts for pumpkin.

The Alton Brown recipe, properly aged, is thebestiveever had.

I need to put a reminder on my calendar for next Halloween to make a batch.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I am anog nut. As a kid I was always so excited for the Egg Nog flavored ice cream to show up at Baskin-Robbins. I go nuts for nog like people used to go nuts for pumpkin.

Hold on, you're telling me eggnog ice cream has existed for 30+ years, and I just found out about it?

You've convinced me, I set the reminder to make a batch with the Alton Brown recipe. Or maybe a couple batches, in case the first doesn't last long enough to be properly aged...

Quote Originally Posted by EricM View Post
    Hold on, you're telling me eggnog ice cream has existed for 30+ years, and I just found out about it?
    Oh wow. Yeah.

When I was a kid the BR version was the best, but Publix (Florida-based Southern grocery chain, if anyone isn't familiar) had their own brand that was almost as good.

You've convinced me, I set the reminder to make a batch with the Alton Brown recipe. Or maybe a couple batches, in case the first doesn't last long enough to be properly aged...
    Name:  IMG_0776.png
Views: 50
Size:  8.2 KB
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post

It's better if you make it around July 4th. But I"m not that organized, so usually labor day for me.

The Morganthaler egg nog is great, and you can make just one blender full. We do the tequila/sherry combo, and really like it. I don't think is quite as good as the aged egg nog, but only making one blender full at a time is really helpful to being able to see my toes.

User Tag List