Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Egg nog and related adult versions

Egg nog and related adult versions

I searched but did not find anything about this.

My wife and I really don't drink, though she knows her way around a wine bottle much better than I do.

We are pretty ignorant of things like rum, and were wondering what you guys like to put in your egg nog. Also, we bought some Kraken to try and were wondering where that falls. Hi point? Glock? Sig?

Just to narrow the thread, I'm only interested in guys with field experience here. :-) If you heard from a guy that xyz booze was the best, I'm not interested. If you edc something in a flask, you should likely start teaching. I expect to hear shortly from Misanthropist, as not only is he experienced in these matters, but coming from a colder clime, he probably understands the btu's being absorbed better:-)

Separate but related, is bourbon a better additive than rum? Which one? Why? is there a DotW to help us improve at a faster rate? What about some special hardware? I know you can't buy skill and experience, but we all know that's just a line on the internet. What do you experts use? I want that.

I prefer rum to bourbon, because.
    For mixing, I usually go with a gold rum over a dark unless the recipe calls for dark, and sometimes even then; a Dark and Stormy (Moscow Mule with rum instead of vodka) calls for dark rum, but I've found that I prefer the taste of a gold rum there, too.
    We like to sprinkle a bit of nutmeg on egg nog, too, and that goes over well even when it's a "virgin" egg nog.
    It's all a matter of taste, after all.

Somewhere I have a recipe for homemade toddy batter (hot buttered rum, hot toddy when made with brandy or whiskey) I've fund that a local outfit (Harvey's) makes a good enough substitute that I needn't;t bother. It freezes well, too, so we stock up in the winter and have it available year-round.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Don't forget that cognac is another option (my preference for an egg nog). Courvoisier, Hennessy, Martell are all good & widely available.

I make this one - http://www.kitsapsun.com/news/local/...355114671.html

I use Gosling's Black Seal rum, Hennesy cognac, and Jim Beam Black bourbon. It's pretty damn good! I have two quart jars of this egg nog in the fridge left over from last year. Looking forward to enjoying them soon.

I last made eggnog from scratch nearly 20 years ago. The folks who had it then agree with me that it is the best they'd ever had.
    I guess it's time to do it all again.

James Beard's eggnog recipe, passed down from his father:

Name:  Screen shot 2016-12-04 at 8.26.41 PM.jpg
Views: 1002
Size:  51.9 KB

The last time I made it, I did a double batch and used 1/3 bourbon to brandy for the total alcohol portion (I used an inexpensive armagnac which tends to be a bit dry).

If you use a recipe that calls for rum, take care with the sugar- I find that reducing the sugar content when using sweeter rum really helps keep it from being cloying.

I too would go for a gold rum over dark for most eggnog type things, as the dark really emphasizes the sugar and molasses flavor components. I had a couple of really tasty gold Puerto Rican rums recently , courtesy of my adult kids. They had a very different flavor profile from the big producers like Bacardi.
    For bourbons, I like many of the smaller producers, and tend to eschew Jack Daniels and cheaper; I just find I have less hangovers that way when drinking more than maybe two of anything. YMMV.

Also, fresh ground nutmeg is key- use a whole nutmeg seed and grate it over the cup. The smell and bite are *amazing*.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Lex Luthier; 12-04-2016 at 10:06 PM.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Site Supporter
    Here's the recipe I've made every year for at least the last twenty five:

6 eggs separated
    1/2 cup of sugar
    6 oz brandy (for some reason, I like cheap brandy rather than cognac)
    2 oz rum
    1 pint whole milk
    1 pint cream
    nutmeg ( I second Lex Luthier - if you don't grate it fresh, don't bother)

Beat egg yolks with 1/4 cup of sugar until light yellow and very thick. Slowly stir in brandy and rum. Stir in milk and cream, then chill. Shortly before serving, beat egg whites until foamy, then add the remaining 1/4 cup of sugar and beat until the egg whites are stiff. Fold the egg whites into the egg yolk mixture and grate nutmeg on top once the nog is in the mug.

Shit, I just buy a carton of 'nog from Freddies and throw in the cheapest 80 proof spiced rum I can find.

Sadly, I am an experienced drunk but I'm also poor. Kraken is great in my book.
    "Customer is very particular" -- SIG Sauer

Site Supporter
    One with Video Directions,

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/a...g-recipe2.html

One with Bourbon and Rum:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/a...og-recipe.html

And his latest with party sized servings of Cognac, bourbon, and rum...

http://altonbrown.com/eggnog-recipe/

pat

Site Supporter
    If you have an ice cream maker, egg nog, particularly grown up egg nog, makes great ice cream. I like to drop small scoops of it into hot coffee, make Guinness floats, etc. Makes an excellent topper for 'holiday' pies around here: pecan, pumpkin, apple, sweet potato, and bread pudding.

pat
    Last edited by UNM1136; 12-05-2016 at 05:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by UNM1136 View Post
    If you have an ice cream maker, egg nog, particularly grown up egg nog, makes great ice cream. I like to drop small scoops of it into hot coffee, make Guinness floats, etc. Makes an excellent topper for 'holiday' pies around here: pecan, pumpkin, apple, sweet potato, and bread pudding.

pat
    Now this is quality expert advice right here!

I'm not a huge 'nog fan. Every few years I'll make a handmade batch and do the freezer trick because I do enjoy it like this.

I love me some Kraken, it is the only rum below $40 a bottle that I enjoy.

For holiday drinks it is Kraken, cognac or Wild Turkey for me. Late night, single malt scotch or small batch bourbons for sipping.

User Tag List