Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What is your favorite J frame?

Isaac, I live daily with an M&P 340 in my pocket. It is really the ultimate pocket gun and rule 1 gun.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

All the local shops want 770$ for it.. Buds is out of stock last I checked.. yet, i've already ordered grips for it

642 with DSG clip on AIWB holster or RCS pocket holster.

Just to be different, my favorite (as in, gets shot often) is my M63 3 inch. Favorite as in ain't gonna get sold is my M38 with flaking electroless nickel surface finish. Very ugly gun, rode on my ankle for years...

Site Supporter
    Just to mention - I had a SW 317 LS - nice looking gun but I couldn't stand the trigger. I know folks like the newer 22 snubbies.

My older stainless 649 Bodyguard .38+P is my sentimental favorite. Shoots Remington 158gr+P LSWCHPs to exact POA. If I could keep only one J-frame, that would be it.

For a BUG in the pocket, though, or when traveling and bringing a pistol in checked luggage, it's always either a 642 or a 340PD, both with Crimson Trace grips.
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

Site Supporter
    I have been on a J frame collecting kick for several years. After amassing a collection of steel, aluminum and scandium framed guns with traditional, "hump-back", and concealed hammers, i can confidently render the informed opinion that the 442 is for my purposes, the best of breed.
    Last edited by Jason M; 12-04-2016 at 04:58 PM. Reason: Punctuation; it saves lives.

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    Same as everyone else: Centennials.

I just wish S&W gave them a grip that went all the way up the frame to widen the area where the web of my hand meets it. That thin piece of frame is not fun to have slam back into your hand.
    I too long for the "high-horn" grips from the days of yore
    Name:  j-frames.jpg
Views: 1256
Size:  40.5 KB
    Last edited by Velo Dog; 12-04-2016 at 05:44 PM.

My only one is a 642-1, so I guess that's my favorite. APEX kit, CTC grips, and orange paint front/sharpie rear makes for a useful setup. It's lived in my pocket pretty much daily since I settled into a holster (Kramer), and I've also got a BobMac's SN-2 for it in case I need to carry it IWB.
    Last edited by ssb; 12-04-2016 at 05:53 PM.

My favorite is a relatively minty 1976 36-1 3" HB RB chief (AkA the Frank McGee NY special) That my dad bought when he was receiving death threats, that he later gave to me on my 21st birthday when I got my CCWs in two states. I'll never part with it.

That said, it's long been safed in favor of a no-lock 642, just like the one that will be in half the pics on this thread. I'm about to grab a quick nap, and I can see the 642 on a low shelf next to me as we speak. It's a likable little guy, even if it doesn't have the same sentimental value as my first...

User Tag List