Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: What is your favorite J frame?

Quote Originally Posted by Willard View Post
    What coating did you add to the 442? Looks like a 642, but better finish.
    It's a factory Electroless Nickle.

Kiesler's has no lock 640's and 649 trade in's available now for decent prices. Seeing pd trade in revolvers is pretty rare now.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Eli View Post
    My 442.

If I ever run across a 342 for less than 6 bills, that will be my new favorite...but until then, the 442 loaded with WCs is going to continue to ride around in my pocket.
    How are your reloads with those WCs on speed strips? Did you have your cylinder chamfered?
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    Did you have your cylinder chamfered?
    Nope.

Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    How are your reloads with those WCs on speed strips?
    Slower than loading round noses from a strip, but faster than loading WCs that are loose in the pocket.
    Honestly though, I never carry a reload for the J. The little spin-gun gets carried as a backup (when I do carry a backup...which isn't all the time). I try to be more of a Winnie than an Eeyore, but if I've gone through my Glock's initial 16, plus my 17 or 22 round reload...then expended the 5 in the J...I was probably doomed from the start. That, of course, isn't going to stop me from pulling out the Clinch Pick and seeing if I can get a little messy...but sometimes it just isn't your day.

My favorite, currently, is a 442 no-lock wearing LG405's
    Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    ... Sammy Reese was giving me crap about me and my circle of graybeards about "what is it with you guys and carrying a service pistol as a back up for your j frame"....making fun of our fanny packs with a j frame carried AIWB or pocket holstered. Kind of funny.
    I turned in a Qual-form to our training Lt. the other day because I added my security-six to my list of off-duty/backup guns. He rolled his eyes and told me I was too young to be carrying a wheel gun.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
    "Will this work so that I can use it instinctively in vital combat against an opponent who is determined to prevent me from doing so, and who is striving to eliminate me by fair means or foul?" ~ Col. Rex Applegate

My favorite is the 640 itself.

I have been carrying it as a pocket gun since before there were lighter weight guns and am accustomed to it. Also, I like the way its weight absorbs recoil better than the lighter weight guns.

Site Supporter
    All this J frame talk put me over the edge. Cabela's has the 442 and 642 on sale for $399 +$50 in "Cabela's Bucks". I chose the 642.

This is my first revolver and I've only shot semi autos so I'm staring at zero. I bought snap caps and Bianchi strips as well.

Any suggestions where to start? I would love to take a class with Wayne and Darryl when my schedule permits (I live in the DFW area). Short term and more realistically, I would like to get the basic manual of arms down and be aware of any issues I might encounter going from semi-auto to revolver. Any input would be welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by k_dub View Post
    Any suggestions where to start? I would love to take a class with Wayne and Darryl when my schedule permits (I live in the DFW area). Short term and more realistically, I would like to get the basic manual of arms down and be aware of any issues I might encounter going from semi-auto to revolver. Any input would be welcome.
    Until you can see one of the GTG instructors in person, check out these resources from Claude Werner:
    https://tacticalprofessor.wordpress....-dvds-and-cds/
    https://tacticalprofessor.wordpress....nose-revolver/

Info available here from Michael de Bethencourt:
    http://snubtraining.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/SnubTrainin...1627074869178/

...and a bunch of threads here at PF from snubby users.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Site Supporter
    Thanks for the info. I need to look at what Claude has more closely.

I'm a little more familiar with Michael. His defensive folding knife class was the first non-martial arts self defense class I tried when I lived in New Hampshire. That class pointed me towards firearms in general and I'm greatful for it. Thanks again.

It would be a toss up between my 642 and a Model 63 I took in trade years ago. We call it the Vesson as someone had the 4" barrel cut down to 2" leaving that part of the name on the side. Not a pretty gun but it shoots.

User Tag List