Thread: QD WML

QD WML

It has been a struggle to keep my lightweight carbine light weight. It was going well until I realized that I truly need decent magnified optics to see past my finger tips anymore, but I managed to keep my "lightweight" carbine at just under 7.5 pounds with the use of a Leupold VX-R Patrol scope and a reasonably light weight (5.5 ounces) GG&G non-QD mount.

Though I depend on a Glock 17 and a 1187 shotgun as my primary HD weapons (both of which wear WMLs 24/7) I have been resistant to add a WML to my carbine because....well....I'm trying to keep it light weight. That said, being 100% convinced of the utility of WMLs, how can I not have my carbine set up for one?

I decided that I would take the detach-it-when-you-don't-need-it approach, which in my case I estimate to be about 99.9% of the time. Though the WML remains on the rifle and ready to roll when stored in the safe, other than an occasional low-light defensive carbine match (or a back yard dry-fire low-light drill) it will most likely be detached for my normal recreational shooting activities as I don't care to have another half-pound hanging on the end of the rail. Without it on the rifle 24/7, I figured I may as well go for as much light as I can without getting overly stupid about it.

So here's the set-up: a Malkoff M61T MD2 in a Vltor off-set scout mount;

With 350 lumens through a TIR optic producing 12,000 lux at one meter, long run time, uber-quality construction and a lifetime warranty, the light is nicely spec'ed for weapon use. It's also a really nice light for other (normal, hand held) uses. The switch is forward-clicky but is recessed in the cap and takes quite a push to lock it on.

The Vltor mount is working out nicely as well, placed on the top of the BCM KMR rail all the way forward (my Magpul offset BUIS only had to be moved back a few notches). The thumbscrews make attachment/detachment quick and easy, and a bit of black electrical tape on the inside contact surfaces keep the light from moving under recoil (and keeps the type 3 anodizing on the Malkoff pretty).

The light and mount together weigh 8 ounces, which compared to something like the Arisaka 300 is a bit heavy. But then again quick, tool-less mounting means the light doesn't live on the rifle.

(PS - for a "permanently mounted" WML I've would have been all over the Arisaka)

Sighting imaginary zombies in my back yard in the dark with the Leupold set to 1.25X and the scope's red dot turned on, the M61T MD2 provides plenty of illumination for target acquisition/identification all the way out to the edge of the woods about 50 yards away. With the light mounted in the 11 o'clock position, it does not enter the field of view even at the VX-R's lowest setting and the switch is easily manipulated with my support hand thumb.

Not wanting to stop there, I also have (on order) a Malkoff Hound Dog 18650 head, which will scorch the woods with 900 lumens and 29,000 lux. It runs on the same battery (a 18650, 3400mah Li-ion) and it's just a matter of unscrewing the M61T head off and the HD 18650 head on. With that, it will be head shots on those zombies hundreds of yards away. The HD head is also equipped with Malkoff's high-low switch, which entails unscrewing the head a few degrees from full tight to drop it back to about 30 lumens, perfect for taking the dogs for their final walk of the day (after I've shot all the zombies with it mounted on the carbine).

I'll post photos with the Hound Dog head installed, but here are a few more with the compact M61T head for now;

When more reach is needed;

I have problems with the Vltor thumbscrews vibrating loose under recoil. I had to lock tite mine, rendering it non-"QD". Ymmv.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TR675 View Post
    I have problems with the Vltor thumbscrews vibrating loose under recoil. I had to lock tite mine, rendering it non-"QD". Ymmv.
    Good to know. I lined the inside of the mount where the light is inserted with electrical tape to prevent movement under recoil. I can feel the tape compressing as I tighten the screws so perhaps that will mitigate or prevent the problem.

I'm hoping the mount works to my expectations because this Malkoff is such a superb light for hand held use with the HD head. It's performance is impressive for its size, blowing away my Surefire PR1 Peacekeeper. Here it is in a Blackhawk light carrier, which fits it perfectly;

Side view mounted. At 1.25X the large bezel intrudes into the scope's FOV but is gone by 2.5X;

Last edited by NH Shooter; 12-11-2016 at 10:55 AM.

User Tag List