Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Considering M&P 15

Got over 23k rds through my 5.45 M&P...... No complaints. Runs like a good, older Glock.
    #RESIST

Jeezuz, dude, you were @ 14k last time I saw a number! You're putting up some Wilt Chamberlain time on that thing, there. Nice!

Quote Originally Posted by JMS View Post
    Jeezuz, dude, you were @ 14k last time I saw a number! You're putting up some Wilt Chamberlain time on that thing, there. Nice!
    Yeah, I'm waiting on this barrel to go..... I ran almost 2k rds through it at Failure2stop's class alone. I'll tell ya what; his carbine class is where you really find out what works as far as gear and technique. I saw three carbines barf there that had previously ran fine for their owners.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by bdcheung View Post
    I'm giving a hard look at the M&P 15T for my first AR. It's up there along with the Colt 6920 and AR6720.

My concern is that all three options will be "too much" gun for me and that I should get something like a Bushmaster or RRA, since this will be little more than a range gun and paranoia-TEOTWAWKI gun.
    Nonononono. Everone knows that for TEOTWAKI you need an Olympic Arms or a Delton. That way when they are contaminated by the toxic chemicals and radiation you can just throw them away without any loss.
    "PLAN FOR YOUR TRAINING TO BE A REFLECTION OF REAL LIFE INSTEAD OF HOPING THAT REAL LIFE WILL BE A REFLECTION OF YOUR TRAINING!"

The error of my ways has been thoroughly pointed out to me

I'll keep my eye out for a 6720 or 6920 to come back in stock.

LL, rgr that, dialed in for the May class in WV, all three days. I need a class that has some distance; been too long, especially since I missed that Defoor class last year and am not hitting Camp Atterbury every freaking fiscal quarter like I was.

I need to get cooking on acquiring ammo for that, and I'll be bringing both of my guns specifically beacuse Murphy's Law is relatively optimistic.

bd, take a look at it from a slightly different angle..... Let's arbitrarily presume that you lay out an expenditure of $1000, period.

If you spend that on the Colt that BOM cited, you've spent $1000 on a no-kidding $1000 carbine.

If you spend that on a BM/RRA or similar, you've spent $1000 on what's actually $750 carbine, and that's being kind. No matter how good a price you find on the thing, you're still being robbed. IF you can find a new BM/RRA or similar for the $$$ the thing is actually worth, from a materials, workmanship, components and QC/QA standpoint, you should be all over it like a cheap suit.

Your original thought of a M&P carbine isn't half-bad. Slightly overgassed easily dealt with IF it presents a problem to begin with; buffer swap, FA bolt-carrier, somewhat lesser barrel material not a huge factor in a non-hard-use gun, 1-in-9 twist unlikely to stabilize ammo at or above 69gr, but most readily-available practice ammo, and even duty amo, is 55-62gr. Easy day. Swap the barrel later if you feel like it, to a properly-made 4150 or better with a proper gas port and more versatile twist rate. Voila....

However, if they have that Colt in stock, that's damned hard to argue with at that price, especially since it means that you won't have to spend more $$$ down the road to swap buffer/carrier/barrel if you decide to up your usage. It's already DONE, and for no extra cost to you....
    OK, I may be ignorant. why should I avoid RRA? What is wrong with RRA?

The RRA gun will probably have been held to a lower level of QC. However, if you have one that runs well, don't get all worried about it.

LL, rgr that, dialed in for the May class in WV, all three days. I need a class that has some distance; been too long, especially since I missed that Defoor class last year and am not hitting Camp Atterbury every freaking fiscal quarter like I was.

I need to get cooking on acquiring ammo for that, and I'll be bringing both of my guns specifically beacuse Murphy's Law is relatively optimistic.
    Hope to see you there. Failure2Stop will push your gear and you.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by Little Creek View Post
    OK, I may be ignorant. why should I avoid RRA? What is wrong with RRA?
    Without making any assertions as to who is or is not ignorant, lemme define what I mean somewhat better, since that reads like somebody spoiling for an :internetscrap:....

If you're pushing 1000 rounds/year through the thing.....NOTHING. Period, end of story. Rock on.

If you're 1) like me, LL, F2S, and a whole host of others, and 2) the least you've put through a single carbine in a single year in the last 5 years is 8000 rounds, then 3) the fact that RR takes the same material, manufacturing and assembly shortcuts as BM will come to the fore at some point. Again, $1k spent on what might be a $650 gun in terms of material and workmanship.

Lesser barrels. Gigantor gas ports on the barrels. Lesser hardware on the gas key. May or may not torque the hardware on the gas key correctly. May or may not stake that at all, and if done, done improperly. May or may not stake the castle nut. More.....

Before anybody comes back with the "My RRA/BM/Oly Awesom-O 15 has run like a top, you son of a whore....!" as if I'm somehow putting down their weapon....then that's great news, and many happy returns. Seriously!

I'm not the sort of fool that argues with somebody else's success, so if you've got one that's running well, I'm not busting anybody's nuts. Arbitrarily, if something has an 80% failure rate....SOMEbody has to own and use the 20% that ain't failing, and we should all be happy for them that they won when they spun the Wheel of Destiny. Doesn't change the technical facts or the inarguable trend, just means that they caught a break and got one that was made on a day that the little old lady at the factory wasn't drunk.

User Tag List