Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 32 H&R Magnum thoughts?

Oddly enough, I was talking back and forth with Claude Werner about this very topic last week or so.

I'd have just bought a .22mag in either LCR or Jframe by now, but ammo availability is so sketchy. The .32 LCR holds as many rounds as the .22mag LCR, throws a bigger bullet but still doesn't get into obnoxious recoil levels if one keeps it toned down, and I can take up reloading to insure a better supply of practice ammo if need be, vs being totally at the mercy of the ammo factories and supply/demand.

At my new gig I'd be able to use something as simple as a Lee Loader to load rounds with during part of my work day. I'd also have the availability of being able to fire a dozen or so shots in informale practice dang near every work day.
    Yes, I could do that with my current .38special LCR, but 6 shots vs 5, and lower recoil.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Site Supporter
    I have a 432 which is very comfortable to shoot and carry. I've shot lots of Fiocchi SW Long out of it for practice and various 32 Mag SD loads. It's a neat gun. Too bad SW ditched them.

.32 H&R Mag can penetrate roughly 12 inches of bare or clothed 10% gel with expanding bullets weighing at least 80 grains. Max expansion tends to be no greater than 4 tenths of an inch. There is a bit of bark from the 21,000 CUP cartridge, but recoil is mild. The SAAMI pressure specs are low enough for safe use in aluminum framed revolvers. Since modern small frame .32 caliber revolvers usually hold 6 rounds, it would seem to be a workable cartridge for self defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    Oddly enough, I was talking back and forth with Claude Werner about this very topic last week or so.

I'd have just bought a .22mag in either LCR or Jframe by now, but ammo availability is so sketchy. The .32 LCR holds as many rounds as the .22mag LCR, throws a bigger bullet but still doesn't get into obnoxious recoil levels if one keeps it toned down, and I can take up reloading to insure a better supply of practice ammo if need be, vs being totally at the mercy of the ammo factories and supply/demand.

At my new gig I'd be able to use something as simple as a Lee Loader to load rounds with during part of my work day. I'd also have the availability of being able to fire a dozen or so shots in informale practice dang near every work day.
    Yes, I could do that with my current .38special LCR, but 6 shots vs 5, and lower recoil.
    I never did figure out why Ruger went with a 6 round cylinder on the .22 Mag and an 8 round cylinder on the .22LR. I'm pretty invested in terms of ammo in the .22 Mag and have been looking for a revolver that will fit my budget and criteria. I'm personally not interested in one in a 1 7/8" barrel but would consider one with a 3 or 4" barrel should Ruger ever listen to my pleas to chamber the LCRx in .22LR and .22 Mag.

I've got .32 Long down to where I can reload it cheaper than quality .22LR. Full disclosure requires that I mention that I have cast bullets and a boat load of brass available. Twenty five pounds of smelted wheel weights will reload quite a bit of .32's in a 100 grain LRN.

If you do get a .32 I'd be interested in your experiences.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    I never did figure out why Ruger went with a 6 round cylinder on the .22 Mag and an 8 round cylinder on the .22LR. I'm pretty invested in terms of ammo in the .22 Mag and have been looking for a revolver that will fit my budget and criteria. I'm personally not interested in one in a 1 7/8" barrel but would consider one with a 3 or 4" barrel should Ruger ever listen to my pleas to chamber the LCRx in .22LR and .22 Mag.
    Remember that .22WMR is a .224" bullet, while .22LR is a .223" bullet. The LR will have poor accuracy in a barrel that's suited for WMR, and WMR may have high pressure in a barrel suited for LR. So swapping cylinders in a revolver will give you the same dilemmas as swapping between .38/.357 and 9mm, but without the flexibility of hand loading right-size bullets in whatever case you're using.

For anyone looking, I just saw 200-round boxes of CCI A22 for $54.99 at Academy. The A17 is reported to be very good stuff.

32 H&R Magnum thoughts?

I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only person who has had this idea. There is one other thing that's crossed my mind. I keep looking to see if Henry releases a lever action rifle, I mean how great would that be? Hot 327 Magnums for hogs and deer and light 32 longs for squirrels and rabbits.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Eastex; 12-04-2016 at 08:24 PM.

Site Supporter

Hell, I guess I need to get out and read more ! Can I make some more requests?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Being no engineering, I speculated elsewhere that it would be nice if Ruger could use the 10/22 pattern to make a 327 semiauto. I know their 22 mag version was unsuccessful but it would be a neat, light rifle. I have a 'tactical' 10/22 (HaHa!). I put a rail for an optic and a sling on it. It's a fun plinker. A 327 might make the cover of a gun magazine as the ULTIMATE something or other.

I like the round in my 3 inch 632.

User Tag List