Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 32 H&R Magnum thoughts?

32 H&R Magnum thoughts?

I catch myself looking at the 327 Magnum LCR lately. I like the idea of 6 rounds in that small frame. Ammo cost is a issue but not as much to me because I really like reloading. I also really like the versatility of being able to load 327, 32H&R, and 32 Long in one gun.
    From what I've read the 327 is really loud, maybe even more than a 357. Also, at least out of a snub like the LCR, it seems to be a pretty stout recoil. From my reading most of the folks using the LCR are carrying it with 32 H&R Magnum. I haven't really gotten deep into reading up on the H&R and I figured I'd throw it out here and get a good jump start on my research.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    It seems to me to be a nice old guy gun. As the arthritis gets worse, you can move down the recoil scale. My sergeant's dad is roughly 80 and the 4" LCR is what he eventually settled on. Other than neat factor, I don't see a compelling reason to get one over a .357/.38, personally. I don't know it does anything I care about over the .38+P, and I'm already set up to reload the .38/.357.

I do keep it in the back of my mind as my hands deteriorate, though.

Hammertime

32 H&R Magnum thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Eastex View Post
    I catch myself looking at the 327 Magnum LCR lately. I like the idea of 6 rounds in that small frame. Ammo cost is a issue but not as much to me because I really like reloading. I also really like the versatility of being able to load 327, 32H&R, and 32 Long in one gun.
    From what I've read the 327 is really loud, maybe even more than a 357. Also, at least out of a snub like the LCR, it seems to be a pretty stout recoil. From my reading most of the folks using the LCR are carrying it with 32 H&R Magnum. I haven't really gotten deep into reading up on the H&R and I figured I'd throw it out here and get a good jump start on my research.

I shot some 32 HR Mag out of a friend's older steel revolver and it was incredibly sweet shooting, had a neat sound, but loud and no doubt a decent fireball at night. I liked it.
    Last edited by Doc_Glock; 12-03-2016 at 10:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastex View Post

You can actually load .327 Mag, .32 Mag, .32 Long, and .32 Short or Colt. I'm not sure about the recoil of a .327 Mag, the .32 Mag which a rather stout round for such a small bore cartridge is obnoxiously loud to shoot out of short barreled guns but doesn't seem to recoil too terribly bad. That's subjective on my part and should be taken with a grain of salt. The .32 can be loaded up from the SAAMI standardized pressures but there's not much load data available. Most of the guys hot rodding .32's are using Ruger Single Sixes, Ruger GP-100's, Ruger SP-101's or S&W Model 16's. I'd suspect that you could crank up a .32 Mag or .32 long safely in a revolver rated for .327 Mag pressures as long as all the protocols were followed.

As far as factory ammo performance goes, it's a rather boutique round that is pricey to purchase. Ballistics are ok, penetration is decent from what I remember but I don't have the data at hand. As with any handgun, with proper shot placement it can get most jobs done. Accuracy isn't as good as the .32 Long but it's acceptable. I've only tinkered with it out of a snub so again I have no hard data.

Tamara can probably provide more hard data than I.

I hope this was of some help.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

My wife has a really nice S&W 631 32 H&R Magnum w/4" barrel that she bought back in the mid-90's. It's all steel, so it's not an apples to apples comparison to the LCR, but with Black Hills 32 H&R 85 gr. JHP's and factory 32 S&W Long wadcutters, it is one of the sweetest revolvers we've ever shot. Extremely accurate and very low recoil. Great for putting small game in the pot, and would make a decent self defense gun as we age. It's too bad the cartridge is not more popular, as I think it would be ideal for anyone who struggles with the recoil of larger calibers. The arthritis in her fingers and wrists has taught me a lot about what works and doesn't work for someone with this condition.

I just turned 50 this year but I remember the problems my grandparents had with arthritis as they got older. I've also noticed that my wife and I are living more and more of the "J Frame Lifestyle" now that our youngest has moved off to college. I've already got a 642 and I know that I could move down to wadcutters if I needed too. I'm just thinking about what comes after that if they become too much. I figure it's better to train up now with the snubbie instead of waiting until I'm forced to.

I wish I had been smart enough to buy a K-32 before they got crazy expensive, just for a fun shooter in geezerhood. The little 32 hand ejectors with 3 1/4" barrels are interesting, and can take a little uploading if not too early. They look like shrunken 4" K frame 38 M&Ps (pre model 10).

Wadcutters are certainly an option for 38s. I'm going to fool with other loads in 38 spl some, people have been using the 38 short Colt case for 9mm level loads for some games, but they also can be nice light load cases. Not sure how theyd stack up against the warmer 32 loads mentioned. I suppose there may be a balance point of penetration and expansion with different lighter weight jacketed hollow point bullets in 38 used at different velocities. Faster may not always be better if the bullets deform more. The 125 gr SWC or full wadcutters may be OK at medium velocities. Some guys on the castboolits site have been loading them extra-light for fun and backyard less noise shooting.
    Last edited by Malamute; 12-03-2016 at 11:54 PM.

Site Supporter
    I have a S&W 432PD that I carry quite a lot. Sometimes by itself and sometimes with a G26 or G19. H&R ammo is kind of pricey, .32 long can be had for a more reasonable price. I practice with both loads and carry just the H&R round. Right now I think I am carrying Black Hills hollow points. This round looks to be slightly better than a .380 ACP to me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Perhaps a companion to the LCR, and I think the fact that I think this is cool for no identifiable rational reason is irrefutable evidence that my hobby is actually a compulsion...
    Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 1184
Size:  39.8 KB

Oops...
    Last edited by mmc45414; 12-04-2016 at 09:58 AM. Reason: Double Post

User Tag List