Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Langdon Tactical 2017 Dates

January class in Casa Grande is full at this point. Just a heads up.
    www.langdontactical.com
    Bellator,Doctus,Armatus

Hi EL, would tactical pistol be am alright class for a first class? Want to get started with training this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    Hi EL, would tactical pistol be am alright class for a first class? Want to get started with training this year.
    Not EL, but I was in your shoes a few years ago.

If you are safe and competent in your manipulations, you should be fine.

It is a bit more than a basic class, but if you are precocious or dedicated I doubt it would be too much. This was the first formal class I took and I got a metric shit-ton out of it.

I was a mediocre marksman going in, but I had done a lot of dry practice in draws, clearing, basic manipulations. My trigger work was much improved and I gained a very strong foundation of other skills to build upon.

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    FWIW I emailed Ernest and asked him the same question. Based on describing my training approach and mindset, he concluded that I would likely be a good match for his class. My main concern was that it not be over my head, as I did not want to be "that guy" struggling.

I found Ernest to be extremely responsive and very up front and approachable. He is definitely on my short list of instructors to train with.
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves."
    --John Muir

Thanks guys

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    FWIW I emailed Ernest and asked him the same question. Based on describing my training approach and mindset, he concluded that I would likely be a good match for his class. My main concern was that it not be over my head, as I did not want to be "that guy" struggling.

I found Ernest to be extremely responsive and very up front and approachable. He is definitely on my short list of instructors to train with.
    Oh yeah! Ernest is an awesome dude! I highly suggest sticking around for story time. Now that TLG has passed, EL probably has to carry the whole torch of insane Super Dave stories.

One major benefit to his classes is the size. I believe he tries to limit them to about 12, so there is plenty of individual attention.

I think I mentioned it to Rich already: Ernest would be my top suggestion for anyone's 2nd class, and in the top 3 for ones first class if you have a handle on basic safe manipulations and are comfortable drawing from the holster.

Site Supporter

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by OnionsAndDragons View Post
    Oh yeah! Ernest is an awesome dude! I highly suggest sticking around for story time. Now that TLG has passed, EL probably has to carry the whole torch of insane Super Dave stories.

One major benefit to his classes is the size. I believe he tries to limit them to about 12, so there is plenty of individual attention.

I think I mentioned it to Rich already: Ernest would be my top suggestion for anyone's 2nd class, and in the top 3 for ones first class if you have a handle on basic safe manipulations and are comfortable drawing from the holster.
    I shot handguns a lot (S&W 639 was go to) in my mid 20's and then just kind of stopped when life got in the way. Now in my mid 50's and in the last 6 months have gotten my LTC (Texas' CHL or CCW). I practice live fire weekly and dry fire several times per week. I'm comfortable drawing from the holster but not great at it. I carry the PX4 sub compact G while I wait for my Compact Carry Mod 4 (can't wait !). I'm looking to become a more responsible carrier and a better shooter and wondered if Mr. Langdon's course would be over my head as a first formal training class. Would be nice to have the man who designed that particular model to be my first real teacher. I'm a jeans/shorts and a t-shirt kind of guy and would like to train that way. Thoughts or experiences?

Ernest was my first formal class and I couldn't be happier with the experience. It was like drinking from a fire hose, but I never felt pushed past the point of safety and I went home with a lot to work on. A year or so after the class I was a much better shooter because I had been practicing every thing I wrote down at the class.

Ernest was also great with answering any questions I had before the class, if you're concerned about anything I'd send him an email and see what he thinks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by LTC77406 View Post
    I shot handguns a lot (S&W 639 was go to) in my mid 20's and then just kind of stopped when life got in the way. Now in my mid 50's and in the last 6 months have gotten my LTC (Texas' CHL or CCW). I practice live fire weekly and dry fire several times per week. I'm comfortable drawing from the holster but not great at it. I carry the PX4 sub compact G while I wait for my Compact Carry Mod 4 (can't wait !). I'm looking to become a more responsible carrier and a better shooter and wondered if Mr. Langdon's course would be over my head as a first formal training class. Would be nice to have the man who designed that particular model to be my first real teacher. I'm a jeans/shorts and a t-shirt kind of guy and would like to train that way. Thoughts or experiences?
    Sounds like you should be in a great place to take this class. Take your lunch because EL will bring his own and probably hang out. Load as many mags as you have beforehand and bring a LULA-loader; everything you can do to squeeze extra time in listening or asking questions. Take notes every time something buzzes in the back of your brain; you'll thank yourself later.

Quote Originally Posted by 125 mph View Post
    Ernest was my first formal class and I couldn't be happier with the experience. It was like drinking from a fire hose, but I never felt pushed past the point of safety and I went home with a lot to work on. A year or so after the class I was a much better shooter because I had been practicing every thing I wrote down at the class.

Ernest was also great with answering any questions I had before the class, if you're concerned about anything I'd send him an email and see what he thinks.
    I think I was just a bit ahead of the curve your were on when I took it. I was just to the point of doing a little regular dry practice and hadn't done too much to screw up my trigger manipulations or grip. I got a few really thoughtful tweaks from EL on those things that have turned into dividends over time.

I was constantly engaged and felt challenged pretty much from the first day lunch break on. Not too much, but I do wish I had tried to make more time for note taking. His instruction on movement while shooting was just excellent and I'm very glad I got that lesson from him first.

I honestly can't think of someone to suggest more highly for working on TDA shooting than EL or Bruce Gray. I guess maybe some donkey like Stoeger, but not for your first rodeo.

User Tag List