Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: An Old M&P

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    Attachment 12250
    This one is supposed to date to 1930. Six-digit serial, starts with a 6. The grips are a bit older. I found them at a gun show and paid almost as much as I did for the gun.
    Attachment 12251
    When I got it, it was wearing this set of rubber grips. I got a set of magna grips as soon as I could, and put a T-grip on it too. That's how I usually shoot it.
    Attachment 12252

It's a former department of corrections gun, but doesn't say from what state. I rescued it from a pile of more modern model 10's, but wish I'd bought one or two of them, too. It's been loaned out to family members a time or two.
    Nice! I may get a Tyler grip adapter for mine.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Heh.

M and P sidearm
    respected and feared by all
    except Godzilla

That revolver seems to shoot very well! What load were you using, Stephanie?
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthier View Post
    Heh.

M and P sidearm
    respected and feared by all
    except Godzilla

That revolver seems to shoot very well! What load were you using, Stephanie?
    .38 lead round nose Geco from the local Rural King.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    It shot pretty well. The sights are not terribly easy to see, compared to a Model 10 or a 10-5. I had no trouble keeping in on minute of thug, double action, strong hand only at 50'. The only issue was the gun twisted around in my hand a little. So I might have to get a grip adapter for it.
    Those tiny sights are hard for those of us with post-40 year old eyes. My 2" 1948 M&P is nearly unusable for me in regards to sight picture.

Heck, I can't see the sights on late Model 10s very well.
    This is not a new problem, if you follow the S&W board you will occasionally see a pre-war gun with a fixed taller flat rear blade set into the topstrap across the old hogwallow notch.
    H. Bowen had a neat but hideously expensive high visibility fixed rear scaled to fit J Smiths and Ruger SP.
    I once saw a similar sight on a M&P but the shop mentioned no longer lists it.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    Those guns, and those cops are why I collect what I collect. I imagine the officer got a pat on the back from men he respected as his "therapy" and was as hard as woodpecker lips. Great find.
    I finally got around to running a search for officer and found this obit.. His last name was Merritt, not Merrill. (I found the note that I made at the LGS when I bought it and the guy who sold it to the store came over to talk to me.)
    Last edited by Stephanie B; 01-05-2019 at 10:33 AM.

I finally got around to running a search for officer and found this obit.. His last name was Merritt, not Merrill. (I found the note that I made at the LGS when I bought it and the guy who sold it to the store came over to talk to me.)
    Also, the gun's seller was his nephew-in-law, not his brother-in-law.

Screwheads don't show signs of being buggered up.
    I'd bet a PF dollar that the sideplate hasn't been off since it left the factory.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    I'd bet a PF dollar that the sideplate hasn't been off since it left the factory.
    If the department had an armorer, he probably had the right screwdrivers.

I Owe You Guys an Apology

I did take it to the range after I bought it.

Name:  m&p target.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  26.8 KB

Shot at ten yards, a mixture of SA and DA. Ammo was Geco LRN, which seemed appropriate for the gun.

User Tag List