Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: An Old M&P

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar

An Old M&P

This came home with me today:

Name:  S&W M&P.jpg
Views: 1562
Size:  92.0 KB

A man sold it to the LGS a bit back. It was his brother-in-law's service revolver. What I'm told is that Don Merrill was a cop for 42 years and was issued this gun by the Jacksonville, FL PD. They let him keep it when the department upgraded to something else.

Story is that Officer Merrill walked into an armed robbery of a burger joint in the 1960s. The robber was a ex-con, having served a stretch in Mississippi for murder. The robber had been out of prison for a month.

A gunfight ensued.

Officer Merrill sustained a through-and-through wound to his upper arm. He was bandaged at the scene and drove himself to the hospital. After waiting for awhile, he washed out his own wound, put some stuff on it, re-bandaged it and went home.

The robber was paralyzed from his wounds and died in prison a paraplegic.

As to the revolver, it's a 5-screw, .38 Special, 4". Serial No. is 471xxx, no letters before or afterwards. The finish is crappy and there are traces of fingerprints. The backstrap is entirely without finish, as one might expect. Screwheads don't show signs of being buggered up. Timing is good, no detectable endshake. Barrel looks very good, maybe a couple tiny pits.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Awesome.

It may look better after soaking the finish in oil or Hoppes No 9 and a gentle steel wooling to card whatever rust off, then a rubdown with soft rags. If theres any flaky rust, a genuine copper penny with sharp edge can help scrape it off (with oil or solvent) without messing up the surrounding blue.

Cool old gun with lots of character.
    Last edited by Malamute; 12-03-2016 at 03:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    This came home with me today:

Name:  S&W M&P.jpg
Views: 1562
Size:  92.0 KB

A man sold it to the LGS a bit back. It was his brother-in-law's service revolver. What I'm told is that Don Merrill was a cop for 42 years and was issued this gun by the Jacksonville, FL PD. They let him keep it when the department upgraded to something else.

Story is that Officer Merrill walked into an armed robbery of a burger joint in the 1960s. The robber was a ex-con, having served a stretch in Mississippi for murder. The robber had been out of prison for a month.

A gunfight ensued.

Officer Merrill sustained a through-and-through wound to his upper arm. He was bandaged at the scene and drove himself to the hospital. After waiting for awhile, he washed out his own wound, put some stuff on it, re-bandaged it and went home.

The robber was paralyzed from his wounds and died in prison a paraplegic.

As to the revolver, it's a 5-screw, .38 Special, 4". Serial No. is 471xxx, no letters before or afterwards. The finish is crappy and there are traces of fingerprints. The backstrap is entirely without finish, as one might expect. Screwheads don't show signs of being buggered up. Timing is good, no detectable endshake. Barrel looks very good, maybe a couple tiny pits.
    Those guns, and those cops are why I collect what I collect. I imagine the officer got a pat on the back from men he respected as his "therapy" and was as hard as woodpecker lips. Great find.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Site Supporter
    Nice gun with a nice history.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Great story and a nice Hand Ejector.
    Has that front sight blade been re-shaped? I had a RB 1912 .38 Special variant and it had the full moon front sight.

I might try a light polish with 100 % cotton flannel and a small amount of Flitz metal polish (does not remove factory bluing) to see if those fingerprint marks come out.

Of course, if the trooper put his bloodied hand on the gun during that encounter, it might have etched the bluing away.
    Last edited by Lex Luthier; 12-03-2016 at 05:09 PM.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

I'm not going to try to clean it up very much. There isn't any rust, though I haven't pulled the grips. A little rubdown with light oil should do.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    A man sold it to the LGS a bit back. It was his brother-in-law's service revolver.
    I always wonder about the circumstance that leads you to sell something like this, especially that has/had family ties.

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthier View Post
    Great story and a nice Hand Ejector.
    Has that front sight blade been re-shaped? I had a RB 1912 .38 Special variant and it had the full moon front sight.
    It might have been. If so, they did a nice job of it. There are very light serrations on the back side.

Site Supporter
    Looks like someone changed the original stocks to postwar Magnas.
    Nicer for shooting than the prewar ones IMHO.
    Cool Smith.

User Tag List