Page 5 of 30 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: KSTG

I like the idea of optimizing your gear for maximum performance within the limitations of practical concealed carry.
    That's one reason I don't shoot IDPA.
    Gear that's optimized for concealment, retention and speed (AIWB under a T-shirt) is illegal even though that's the way I carry every day.
    Impractical gamer gear (the infamous "Vest") is not only allowed, it's sold in the official IDPA web store.

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    Prior to this rule going into effect in our "CCW Match" I watched one shooters gear slowly evolve/morph from typical duty gear to basically a kydex OWB (disguised as a Safariland 6304 with the SLS hood removed and the ALS modified for no retention) and race cut mag carriers.
    I think our club is already being generous in that we don't require them to wear their entire "Bat belt", just the holster and mag carriers.
    Give 'em an inch and they take a mile...
    Besides, LEO's should be carrying off-duty anyway so they can always shoot their CCW gear in the match if their duty gear isn't compatible with the rules.
    I would enjoy continuing with this topic, but I don't want to muddy the discussion of KSTG.

Quote Originally Posted by jlweems View Post
    I would enjoy continuing with this topic, but I don't want to muddy the discussion of KSTG.
    pfffftttt... make the Mods do some thread splitting.

On KSTG.
    I like some of the rules (in fact I poached a few ideas for our local match rules) but don't like:
    Weight, size, barrel length restrictions (just strictly enforce the concealment requirements/ holster rules and it'll be somewhat self regulating).
    Magazine capacity restricted to 10 rounds, instead just have a few categories based on capacity (and limit the categories to guns that are designed for that capacity).
    The scoring is needlessly complicated, especially the multiple non-threat penalties.
    Fault lines for cover violations, I despise fault lines and boxes.
    Air gun/rehearsal penalties are one of those things that end up being subjective and subject to RO (and competitor) abuse, the only time a penalty should be assessed imo is if a competitor activates a prop.
    Engagement order should have a "near to far" stipulation.

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    but don't like:
    Weight, size, barrel length restrictions (just strictly enforce the concealment requirements/ holster rules and it'll be somewhat self regulating).
    this. Just bought a shaggy for a 34. won't conceal any different than a 17, and I seem to shoot it better.

but rules are rules, and I reckon if one allowed the 34, someone would bitch that their 17L isn't legal.
    If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever. -George Orwell

Allow 45 LC, along with .45 ACP for revolvers.

Allow 7 & 8 shot revolvers (I know a fair number of guys who use these for real) if they fit in the box.

Allow 5 & 6" revolver barrels, if they fit in box.

Change scoring to: A-Zone = 5 points, B & C Zones = 1 point, D Zone = zero points to better reflect anatomic an physiologic reality.

HNT = DQ for that stage.

Major and minor PF is BS--a hit in the A-zone is a hit, regardless of caliber. If you really must do it, give 2 points for B & C zone hits to major caliber shooters, rather than just 1 point for minor caliber shooters. D-zone is still a big fat zero.

No DA pistol Specialty Division.

Appendix A--the major and minor Power Floors table is goofy from a wound ballistic perspective.

Cold Ranges SUCK Donkey balls...

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    A

Cold Ranges SUCK Donkey balls...
    Is that the official medical term
    If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever. -George Orwell

Also what is HNT

So if I read this right I CAN'T play with my G34 or G35?
    Founder Of Keepers Concealment and Lead trainer. Affiliate of CCW Safe, Use discount code ( KC10off )Sign up here https://ccwsafe.com/ref/B65241653

Allow 45 LC, along with .45 ACP for revolvers.

Allow 7 & 8 shot revolvers (I know a fair number of guys who use these for real) if they fit in the box.
    I agree on the .45 Colt issue.

The 7 & 8 shot revolvers do bring up an interesting line of debate though. A person shooting an 8-shooters would have an advantage over a person shooting a 6-shooter on longer stages as it would mean less reloads for that shooter. However, it should be noted that single stack shooters in major will face the same issue compared to somebody shooting a double stack pistol.

That being said, I'm fairly old school when it comes to wheelguns. I don't get bent out of shape over making the single stack folks fret.

Major and minor PF is BS--a hit in the A-zone is a hit, regardless of caliber. If you really must do it, give 2 points for B & C zone hits to major caliber shooters, rather than just 1 point for minor caliber shooters. D-zone is still a big fat zero.
    In your opinion, would major calibers be measurably less likely to deflect off of flat, hard bone surfaces? If so, that could justify increasing the value of the head's B-zone to match the A or C zones.

As someone who carries a Major caliber, I've long thought this was one of the very few advantages I held, but have not sought out data to confirm or disprove. I'll have to review some of the previous anatomy discussions on this point.

Also what is HNT
    Hit on a Non-Threat, typically.

User Tag List