Page 13 of 30 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: KSTG

Quote Originally Posted by theblacknight View Post
    who wants to win Expert SSP when they could be competing in Master? Isnt that like bragging about having high GPA in the 9th grade?
    I would think so myself. But for some it may be the difference in walking away with a trophy or coming in 13th. I have only shot one sanctioned match (2011 NJ State Championships) to this point so I don't have much experience with it. But is was enough of a topic that they spent an entire episode of Power Factor on Sandbagging Grand-baggingng. I think it is probably a bigger problem in USPSA & Bullseye where there is actual prizes to be had. I know when I shot PPC it was common place to do so. Of course depending on the number of shooters in an IDPA sanctioned match the classification winner & possibly 2nd place gets bumped to the next higher class automatically. So in IDPA it could be a one shot deal.

Right now I'm shooting mainly club matches and I don't pay much attention to the classifications, I watch to see how I do in my division overall. Most of the time I look to see how I did overall. If I'm not in the top 5 overall I'm usually pissed for days. The only exception is when the Pro's come out to play, then I take it for granted I'm going to get spanked.
    Scott
    Only Hits Count - The Faster the Hit the more it Counts!!!!!!; DELIVER THE SHOT!
    Stephen Hillier - "An amateur practices until he can do it right, a professional practices until he can't do it wrong."

I'd rather be classified one level above my current skill level, because nothing pushes me harder than getting beat.

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    I'd rather be classified one level above my current skill level, because nothing pushes me harder than getting beat.
    An excellent way to look at it!
    Scott
    Only Hits Count - The Faster the Hit the more it Counts!!!!!!; DELIVER THE SHOT!
    Stephen Hillier - "An amateur practices until he can do it right, a professional practices until he can't do it wrong."

As previously discussed no 38 Special +P ammo on the commercial market will make the KSTG power floor for minor according to published data. I suggest either eliminate the 38 Special from consideration or use a lower power floor.

Most concealed carry pistols will chronograph less than factory published date, with the exception of full size Glocks and possibly a few others.

The Power Factor formula is a "heavy bullet" formula. You can make major with less recoil if you use bullets that are heavy for the caliber. The heavy bullets loaded right at the power factor may have a lower muzzle energy.

I would like to see the use of revolvers and "full moon clips" encouraged in KSTG matches. I love my M625 revolvers. I also have a M646 (40 S&W L frame) 4" revolver. Could you add the 40S&W as a revolver caliber? I would gladly have my 4" M686 6-shooter cut for full moon clips. My M625 Mountain has "Quad Ports" and it still kinks more than my other 4" M625. I carried a 2.5" and later a 4" M19 concealed under a suit or sport coat from 1976 until 1992 at least 10 hours a day at least 5 days a week. That was before the SIG229 replaced the revolver. My employer mandated my duty weapon/ammunition. The 4" was no harder to conceal than the 2.5" The holster of choice at that time was a Desantis Speed Scabbard. I carried speed loaders on the belt. That was before "full moon clips".

Why not say any caliber 9x19 or 38 Special +P or larger for Minor and require factory ammo. Factory ball ammo is not that expensive compared to duty/carry loads. Cronograph if in doubt.

S&B 158 grain and Fiocchi 158 grain stuff will make the power floor. Those are loaded super hot.

As is often said in other enterprises, when you innovate or otherwise challenge the status quo 10% of people are going to be with you no matter what you do. Another 10% are going to be against you no matter what you do. The challenge becomes designing a product that is attractive and resonant with the remaining 80%, and it appears that you've done that.

Is KSTG for everyone? No. I know for a fact it's not for me. I carry a 5" 1911 with a WML. I can clearly see the rules were not meant for me. No biggie. Within an hour's drive of where I sit I can shoot an IDPA match on the first Monday, second Tuesday, second Saturday and last Thursday of the month. I can shoot a USPSA match 1x/month within a 2 hour drive. I'm just down the road from what some would say is the preeminent IDPA match in the South, the Carolina Cup.

Finding a gun game that accommodates my preferred style of weapon, or my perceived notions of speed vs. accuracy vs. "realism" isn't the issue. It's about having options to find the particular brand of gun game Kool-Aid that quenches your thirst for action / speed / excitement / realism / dynamism. As rob_s once said, "Some people like Star Wars and some people like Star Trek, it ain't a religion."

That's the wonderful thing about this entire shooting / guns / self-defense / training / preparedness enterprise: you decide how far down the rabbit hole you want to go.

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    S&B 158 grain and Fiocchi 158 grain stuff will make the power floor. Those are loaded super hot.
    They will make a 125 power factor but, from their web sites, it doesn't look like they will make 300 fpe.

Quote Originally Posted by ghettomedic View Post
    As is often said in other enterprises, when you innovate or otherwise challenge the status quo 10% of people are going to be with you no matter what you do. Another 10% are going to be against you no matter what you do. The challenge becomes designing a product that is attractive and resonant with the remaining 80%, and it appears that you've done that.

Is KSTG for everyone? No. I know for a fact it's not for me. I carry a 5" 1911 with a WML. I can clearly see the rules were not meant for me. No biggie. Within an hour's drive of where I sit I can shoot an IDPA match on the first Monday, second Tuesday, second Saturday and last Thursday of the month. I can shoot a USPSA match 1x/month within a 2 hour drive. I'm just down the road from what some would say is the preeminent IDPA match in the South, the Carolina Cup.

Finding a gun game that accommodates my preferred style of weapon, or my perceived notions of speed vs. accuracy vs. "realism" isn't the issue. It's about having options to find the particular brand of gun game Kool-Aid that quenches your thirst for action / speed / excitement / realism / dynamism. As rob_s once said, "Some people like Star Wars and some people like Star Trek, it ain't a religion."

That's the wonderful thing about this entire shooting / guns / self-defense / training / preparedness enterprise: you decide how far down the rabbit hole you want to go.
    What's a WML? I too carry a 5" 1911 (without a WML, AFAIK), and though I wasn't carrying one when we came up with KSTG, I'd like to think it's still for me. We'll have to see.

Weapon Mounted Light, me thinks.
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

Ah, smarter than me, thanks. In that case, I do sometimes carry with a WML. GM, what kind of holster do you use, and with which light? Strong side, I assume?

User Tag List