Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does 12ga birdshot behave just like a slug at close range?

Does 12ga birdshot behave just like a slug at close range?

https://youtu.be/T26cV_M_oAE

I've had several people tell me that at "close range" birdshot is fine for defense because it all hits in a single mass and acts like a slug. That's obviously stupid but hey, why not? Let's see what happens. I place the barrel of my shotgun a few inches from the gel block to see if it's possible for birdshot pellets to penetrate adequately when they impact together.

Also, because I can't get enough of that TSC:

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Bird shot tends to result in a neat connect the dots puzzle just under the skin. Unless you can convince your attacker to put your muzzle in his mouth (sounds dirty) I'd not rely on bird shot for anything beyond psychological stops.

Nailed it. Even then, it might not do the trick. There are plenty of anecdotal reports of failed suicides with bird shot.

What BehindBluel's stated.

Birdshot is for...................wait for it......................birds (& maybe snakes and small rodents).

Probably the best defensive 12 ga. shot load is #1 buckshot.
    The Federal #1 buckshot, 15 pellet, 1100 fps "Flight Control" load (LE132-1B) offers IDEAL terminal performance for LE and self-defense use and is the best option for those who need to use shot shells for such purposes. In bare gel, all 15 of the 30 caliber plated pellets penetrate in the 14-18 inch range. When fired through an automobile windshield at 3 meters, 10 of 15 pellets were found at 12.5-15"--not bad for a buckshot load; keep in mind that slugs are the preferred option when engaging threats inside vehicles.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Wiggin View Post
    Nailed it. Even then, it might not do the trick. There are plenty of anecdotal reports of failed suicides with bird shot.
    Angle matters. Too far forward and you'll just mess up your face and remove your ability to do algebra or play the oboe.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Angle matters. Too far forward and you'll just mess up your face and remove your ability to do algebra or play the oboe.
    Seen it. Though I doubt that guy could do algebra before taking his face off.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Bird shot tends to result in a neat connect the dots puzzle just under the skin. Unless you can convince your attacker to put your muzzle in his mouth (sounds dirty) I'd not rely on bird shot for anything beyond psychological stops.
    If he does place your muzzle deeply into in his mouth at the right angle, the resulting temporary stretch cavity is devastating.

*has been waiting years to type this*
    Last edited by Unobtanium; 12-03-2016 at 07:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    What BehindBluel's stated.

Birdshot is for...................wait for it......................birds (& maybe snakes and small rodents).

Probably the best defensive 12 ga. shot load is #1 buckshot.
    The Federal #1 buckshot, 15 pellet, 1100 fps "Flight Control" load (LE132-1B) offers IDEAL terminal performance for LE and self-defense use and is the best option for those who need to use shot shells for such purposes. In bare gel, all 15 of the 30 caliber plated pellets penetrate in the 14-18 inch range. When fired through an automobile windshield at 3 meters, 10 of 15 pellets were found at 12.5-15"--not bad for a buckshot load; keep in mind that slugs are the preferred option when engaging threats inside vehicles.
    In my testing with Buckshot, I noted that range DRASTICALLY decreased penetration on hard objects (car doors, windshields,etc.), and I don't mean stoopid range. I mean 00B would punch a door at 15 yards but not 25, and that "magnum" 00B buckshot would punch a door a dozen yards further than regular. Velocity loss is huge with round ball, and apparently matters a lot at this level of KE/Velocity.

I respect the lab testing of #1B, but how does it do on metal auto bodies and windshields in the real world? If my test data from shooting these items at 10-20-30+ yards is any indication, not NEARLY as well as it does in a lab at 3 yards, unless you are shooting at the car from <10 feet away.

What are your thoughts on how these reconcile, and should people who are likely to engage a vehicle, should they not be afforded a carbine, and if slugs are against their policy for whatever asinine reason, load 00 or 000B instead of #1, due to these considerations, in your opinion?

Slugs are for vehicles, shot is not.

If forced to use shot against a vehicle, then 000 is likely best, although it is weak sauce compared to slugs.

Also, targeting glass is different than body work.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

User Tag List