Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mora Companion on sale, $8.21 shipped from Amazon Prime

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    Actually, I have seen those before. Not knowing much about them, I wrote them off for field use, as they simply carry more metal than I thought needed. Too bad they are now discontinued though, I would pick one up just to try it.
    I have two. One is yours if you wish it.

The are actually pretty handy not just to touch up a blade, but to split a deer pelvis.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I have a ton of sharpening equipment but also tend to (mostly) rely upon a few DMT diamond hones for steel removal and any one of several Spyderco ceramic hones, (double-stuff, bench stones, tri-angle stones etc) for finish work.

The beauty of the scandi grind is that you can pretty much lay it flat and go to work since very few have a secondary bevel. I tend not to use a steel just to avoid any rounding off though I have some flat ones that would work.
    Do you recommend a secondary bevel?

I do all my sharpening on a spyderco sharpmaker and a strop. I know the sharpmaker utilizes the secondary bevel.

I picked up a couple of these for gifts and an extra to try out. Great price.
    "Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

Quote Originally Posted by 1776United View Post
    Do you recommend a secondary bevel?

I do all my sharpening on a spyderco sharpmaker and a strop. I know the sharpmaker utilizes the secondary bevel.

I picked up a couple of these for gifts and an extra to try out. Great price.
    Not on a scandi knife. You want to maintain the bevel it came with which is essentially flat all the way to the edge.

Check the links I posted above regarding sharpening. You're essentially going to just lay the whole primary bevel flat to your stone or ceramic rod and hone or sharpen the edge as needed.

On a Sharpmaker, instead of holding the blade vertically and allowing the base to create a 15 or 20 degree angle, you're going to just lay the blade flat against the stone whether it's in the jig or in your hand.
    Last edited by blues; 12-04-2016 at 09:07 AM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

The only exception to no secondary bevel on a scandi grind is if that is your only knife (even at the moment), and you need to do much (or really any, depending on your steel and hardness) work on hardwood. I have put a micro bevel on a few knives over the years and it really works well for hardwood. The scandi was really made for softer wood. If you do the micro bevel correctly, it is very easy to switch back to the true scandi when your needs change again.

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    I have two. One is yours if you wish it.

The are actually pretty handy not just to touch up a blade, but to split a deer pelvis.
    That is very generous of you! PM sent.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    The beauty of the scandi grind is that you can pretty much lay it flat and go to work since very few have a secondary bevel. I tend not to use a steel just to avoid any rounding off though I have some flat ones that would work.
    Agree, SLG. I have one or two scandi grinds that either came with or that I applied a small secondary bevel to for woodwork or a task that would otherwise ding up a zero or full flat grind at the edge. For the most part, I think those Nordic knife makers knew their business. I have quite a few production and a few custom knives from Sweden, Finland and Norway. Love 'em. They remind me a lot of true Japanese tanto blades from prior centuries...not the common "tanto" that people have come to associate with the name.

You are all enablers.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    You are all enablers.
    Look on the bright side. It's only a few bucks.

Bought two: One for HH6, and one for the family gift exchange. I suggested one in a pretty color for the women's gifts in the gift exchange, but she is convinced that her family would not be interested. I am not so sure, but they're her relatives...
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Site Supporter
    I picked up some as stocking stuffers. One for me too.

User Tag List