Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mora Companion on sale, $8.21 shipped from Amazon Prime

You guys cost me money. I used this knife (or maybe the slightly thicker one; need to go look) to gut four deer this year with little sharpening in between (two my own, one for a newbie, and one for a visiting hunter). Even at full price, they're better than knives 5x the cost. No one else on the ranch had heard of Mora and everyone wanted a picture for later after they got to handle it. Great kit in my opinion, though I'm not really a "knife guy".

ETA: anyone here have recommendations on stones for sharpening?
    Last edited by 1911nerd; 12-03-2016 at 03:44 PM.
    Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

- William Pitt the Younger

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    There's nothing to figure out. Just post the link to Amazon (or Brownells, or pretty much anywhere really) and there is magic software behind the scenes that converts it into an affiliate link when someone clicks on it.
    Amazon.com: Save Big On Morakniv: Sports & Outdoors

So if they select one of the knives listed here PF will get it's cut?
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by 1911nerd View Post
    You guys cost me money. I used this knife (or maybe the slightly thicker one; need to go look) to gut four deer this year with little sharpening in between (two my own, one for a newbie, and one for a visiting hunter). Even at full price, they're better than knives 5x the cost. No one else on the ranch had heard of Mora and everyone wanted a picture for later after they got to handle it. Great kit in my opinion, though I'm not really a "knife guy".

ETA: anyone here have recommendations on stones for sharpening?
    I use a pocket steel from F. Dick to keep them sharp in the field. I also have a ceramic/diamond stone from Fallkniven. I wish it had a fine side, instead of the diamond, so I also have a Spyderco double stuff. All of these are for everyday use in the field.

At home I have full size ceramic stones from spyderco. Any of these options will work very well.

My most used knives are the Skookum Bush Tool line, but I have more than a couple of Moras, including the green one in the link, and they are fantastic knives, especially well suited to backpack hunts where weight matters. I cleaned several deer one day with mine, and it worked wonderfully. My wife than took it for her own use. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    I use a pocket steel from F. Dick to keep them sharp in the field. I also have a ceramic/diamond stone from Fallkniven. I wish it had a fine side, instead of the diamond, so I also have a Spyderco double stuff. All of these are for everyday use in the field.

At home I have full size ceramic stones from spyderco. Any of these options will work very well.

My most used knives are the Skookum Bush Tool line, but I have more than a couple of Moras, including the green one in the link, and they are fantastic knives, especially well suited to backpack hunts where weight matters. I cleaned several deer one day with mine, and it worked wonderfully. My wife than took it for her own use. :-)
    I have a ton of sharpening equipment but also tend to (mostly) rely upon a few DMT diamond hones for steel removal and any one of several Spyderco ceramic hones, (double-stuff, bench stones, tri-angle stones etc) for finish work.

The beauty of the scandi grind is that you can pretty much lay it flat and go to work since very few have a secondary bevel. I tend not to use a steel just to avoid any rounding off though I have some flat ones that would work.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Thanks LL. I picked up a couple.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I tend not to use a steel just to avoid any rounding off though I have some flat ones that would work.
    I've never had an issue with rounding, but I typically only run it 3 or 4 times per side. Super light, really almost no pressure at all, and slow. It really is just for realignment. Seems to work very well. Nonetheless, I'm very curious now about the flat steels you have. I'm only familiar with the standard round ones.

I've never had an issue with rounding, but I typically only run it 3 or 4 times per side. Super light, really almost no pressure at all, and slow. It really is just for realignment. Seems to work very well. Nonetheless, I'm very curious now about the flat steels you have. I'm only familiar with the standard round ones.
    Gerber in recent years made one called the "Sportsman's Steel".

Schrade also:

Actually, I have seen those before. Not knowing much about them, I wrote them off for field use, as they simply carry more metal than I thought needed. Too bad they are now discontinued though, I would pick one up just to try it.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Can't say no at this price... I took down an entire deer, including cracking bones with an expensive, older $15 Mora

Amazon link
    Grabbed some, thanks LL.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Actually, I have seen those before. Not knowing much about them, I wrote them off for field use, as they simply carry more metal than I thought needed. Too bad they are now discontinued though, I would pick one up just to try it.
    I rarely use any steels anymore, I prefer ultra-fine ceramic rods.

I forgot I also have one of these smooth folding steels from Razor Edge Systems that I occasionally use around the house or shop for the heck of it:

Last edited by blues; 12-03-2016 at 11:05 PM.

User Tag List