Thread: .38 Spl 4" Barrel Ammo, Standard Pressure

.38 Spl 4" Barrel Ammo, Standard Pressure

Most of the focus for ammo testing for the .38 "revolves" around snub (2 inch plus or minus) barrel lengths. What about the 4" barrel length's for older revolvers that might not be able to handle +p loads? Say you own one old Colt or S&W that your grandpa gave you, and it's your only handgun. I've noticed standard pressure .38 loads from Hornady (158 gr. XTP) and Winchester (130 gr. Defend) around here, and can't find much in the way of gel testing regarding these types of loads. My impression is that people who carry 4" wheel guns use the Gold Dot 125 Gr. +P or the old FBI load 148 Gr. LSWC +P. If you had to use standard pressure, what would you use?

My guess is that XTP bullets in general seem to have problems with heavy clothing tests, no idea regarding the 130 gr. Winchester Defend stuff.

While I'm on the subject of old guns....

Any one tried running Hornady Critical Defense/ Duty through a GI 1911, a Luger/Walther P-38,or anything before the days of modern expanding ammunition? It looks like the bullet profile would work, but I've never tried it.
    Last edited by Tabasco; 12-03-2016 at 01:42 AM.

Site Supporter
    An older, all-steel, American made revolver that checks out mechanically can handle today's +p, especially if limited to just checking POI/POA and carry or house defense purposes, while shooting less expensive standard pressure loads most of the time. If you just have it for nostalgia, shoot light hand loads or 130 gr FMJ ball and have fun. But if it's for defense, carry, whatever, get some serious hollowpoints. The "FBI" 158 gr SWCHP+p works, but a 147 gr JHP like a Gold Dot or HST would, too, +P or not.

If you really want a standard pressure load that is easy on the gun and shooter, find some 125 gr standard pressure Gold Dots.

Recently fired the the Buffalo Bore 158 grain NON +P SWCHPL 38 Special load through a Colt DS 2" gun 12 ft from Chrono. 884avg. wished I would of had a 4" 38 to see what it would do for velocity. Be very comfortable carrying this load in a snubbie or longer barreled 38 Spl.

This the equivalent to the old FBI load that Duelist is writing about.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeke38 View Post
    Recently fired the Buffalo Bore 158 grain NON +P SWCHPL 38 Special load through a Colt DS 2" gun 12 ft from Chrono. 884avg.
    How do they get a 158gr bullet to reach 884 fps out of a 2" barrel at standard pressure? Speer seems to have a hard time getting their 135gr bullet to consistently hit 800 fps from a 2" barrel at +P pressures.

I'm not doubting you, I really want to know.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Moonshot View Post
    How do they get a 158gr bullet to reach 884 fps out of a 2" barrel at standard pressure? Speer seems to have a hard time getting their 135gr bullet to consistently hit 800 fps from a 2" barrel at +P pressures.

Just recall that there are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies and statistics. I doubt that that 884 fps load is really a standard pressure load. I'd guess it's a +P without BB designating it as such.

As for the truly old steel service revolvers, they will handle +P ammo, but you shouldn't shoot much in it. Maybe a cylinder or two to verify POI and then load the gun with it for any defensive use needs. Shoot standard pressure in it for practice and training and you'll be good. Even better is to clean, oil and store that heirloom for occasional shooting with wadcutters or the like and buy a modern production revolver for service use.
    Last edited by Wayne Dobbs; 02-09-2017 at 11:21 AM.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Buffalo Bore is not a SAAMI member, so I suspect "their" definition of +P could be a bit more flexible... For some, if it doesn't blow up the gun or loosen/wear it in a few hundred rounds, it is perfectly adequate, in sight of the "performance gain". Some people automatically equate "more velocity" with "better performance", and that's they way these companies sell their products.

Other factors: lead bullets = more velocity (everything else constant), special powder formulation, and loading rigth up to (or beyond) the SAAMI pressure limits.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonshot View Post

I'd like to know how many rounds were fired for the average and SD.

As for old guns, if "old" means a .38 M&P, shoot it something mild. I personally wouldn't carry a vintage M&P because I would cry when it got tossed (literally) into evidence after a shooting.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

If I had to pick a standard pressure ammunition for use in an old revolver, it would be 110 grain critical defense or a 148 grain Black Hills/Fed/Rem/Win wadcutter.
    Last edited by warpedcamshaft; 02-24-2017 at 11:32 PM.

Hambo: 10 rounds! The BB load is rather expensive. Shot the loads just for my own satisfaction. Now have access to a 4" 38 M&P and will run a few over the screens to see what we get. 10 or 12 years ago ran some Corbon 165 44 Spls over the screens and they produced 1166 out of a 3" 696. Those numbers were 16fps faster than advertised.

Will post results from 4" chrono results.

Solid rain for the entire month of March, lots of flooding. When weather permits will run the BB non plus P load through a Model 10 4".

User Tag List