Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: USPSA Fee questions

Quote Originally Posted by Leroy View Post
    The match has two different entry fees if your a club member or not. Therefore, show up, pay $20, shoot, and have fun.
    Register if possible, show up, pay your $20 or whatever and shoot. You are making this harder than it is.

I'm on the Board at a 1000 member club. Remember these are VOLUNTEER jobs and professional management skills / technology / process efficiency is probably not in the core skill set of most of the volunteers.

I'm the Treasurer and self-elected CIO. So far, it's a crap-ton of work but fortunately the pay sucks. Feel free to call and complain about my performance and I'll offer you the job.

Quote Originally Posted by GuanoLoco View Post
    Register if possible, show up, pay your $20 or whatever and shoot. You are making this harder than it is.

I'm on the Board at a 1000 member club. Remember these are VOLUNTEER jobs and professional management skills / technology / process efficiency is probably not in the core skill set of most of the volunteers.

I'm the Treasurer and self-elected CIO. So far, it's a crap-ton of work but fortunately the pay sucks. Feel free to call and complain about my performance and I'll offer you the job.
    I didn't mean to make it harder then it is, but there really isn't anywhere that spells out how fees work. It isn't explained on the website of the particular club I'm looking at, and it doesn't say anywhere that membership isn't required. I assumed the match fee was less for "Pistol division" members. So I came here to ask some questions of other more experienced USPSA shooters about how their match fees and memberships work.

Not real sure who pissed in your cornflakes. I didn't attack you at all. I didn't say I would do better. I'm sorry that you do a crap-ton of work for no pay. You gave yourself that job and I'm sure your clubs members appreciate it. You obviously find it rewarding somehow or you wouldn't do it. I never said this was a full time paying job for anyone or that I expect anyone to be perfect. I certainly don't. But if you don't like your job then quit. I had a few questions to ask and you take it as a personal attack, and respond with condescension. There was no reason for that. You could have told me how it works where you are, how most clubs your were aware of work, said not to worry about it, and good luck have fun. Instead you thought to yourself "This person on the internet wants to do something that I know more about then them! I should be a prick!" Real classy bud.

I'll give the club a call, and try to speak with someone in person. If membership is not required for USPSA matches then I will not join. I do however intend to join USPSA either way, as I would like to get a ranking so that I can use it as somewhat of a gauge of my progress as a shooter. Perhaps I can find a closer range to frequent for practice, and then shoot matches at BGSL.

@Les Pepperoni please don't feel the need to look into it. I'll give them a call. I really appreciate your attitude toward helping another shooter pursue the sporting world. You a truly an asset to the sport and this forum.

-Cory

Cory I know guano and I can promise you he didn't mean anything bad by that. I think he was just re affirming that emailing these people will probably lead to nothing. He is really old too, like 103, so he might just be off his rocker
    i used to wannabe

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    Cory I know guano and I can promise you he didn't mean anything bad by that. I think he was just re affirming that emailing these people will probably lead to nothing. He is really old too, like 103, so he might just be off his rocker
    Age, at either end of the spectrum, is not an excuse for being rude. My previous statements stand. Not much of an ambassador.

Either way, I'm not the type to get pissy over trivial things. And he is one of several members now to inform me that I don't need to be a club member to shoot. As a treasurer for what I would consider a large club that hosts USPSA, his experience is definitely valued. I never said thanks for the info. That is poor form on my part.

Thank you Guano for the additional info from a large club perspective. Now that you and several other members here have chimed in, I have a better understanding of how range fees related to USPSA fees. I appreciate your help with that.

-Cory
    Last edited by Cory; 12-03-2016 at 01:32 PM.

Lol, this thread reminded me of when I first started shooting competetively (sp?). Cor_man, I did the same thing - emailed the club to make sure I would be able to shoot - took like 2 weeks to get a response (the match had already came and went), and the response was like 3 words "ya, thats right". I took a little offense to it.

But once I started going to matches, it became clear why. There is usually just enough help/volunteers/people willing to put on the matches to get them set up and able to happen each week/month. And usually the guys/gals doing so have been doing it longer than they want. And answering emails in their free time is probably not a big priority (for good or bad). I feel really fortunate now to have 2 clubs that I can go to that are very savvy and easy to communicate with, even with super advanced email.

But, good for you - go shoot a match, get hooked and get involved and make the sport better with/for the younger guys like yourself (and kinda me) .
    The stupidity of some people never ceases to amaze me.

Humbly improving with CZ's.

Wow, I wasn't intending or expecting a reaction at all. I come back and realize I missed all the excitement.

Cor_man you are welcome. Just trying to give you some context on how things work.

I was just as frustrated and am trying to do something about it at my club. I have a respectable education, technical and business background and it turns out to be much more or a challenge that I would expect. Of course most of the work is done by 12 board members, 20 or so match directors and a small cast of supporting volunteers. There are regular cycles of burnout.

As often as not they are not all on the same page about, well, anything.

Frankly I am amazed it (clubs, matches, etc.) works as well as it does. Keep in mind that these are (generally) not for-profit operations.

Come and shoot matches. If you enjoy them try to find a way to give back.

Maybe you can sucker the match director into running the matches one more year.

Quote Originally Posted by GuanoLoco View Post
    Come and shoot matches. If you enjoy them try to find a way to give back.
    This statement is what it's all about. It's totally a volunteer-run sport, and even if people can do something as simple as (regularly) helping with setup and/or teardown, it makes things run a lot smoother and keeps the match directors thinking the effort they put in is worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    Driving around and going new places is half the fun man!
    Hiking Yellowstone =/= driving 4 hours through pine trees to see an ubiquitous sand pit
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Quote Originally Posted by Les Pepperoni View Post
    I know a few folks down around there... lemme see who I might be able to talk to. BGSL is a nice place to blast.

There aren't that many clubs that require membership in USPSA tonshoot a local - my club is unique in that we do require it since wed be swamped in a Wednesday night with beginners. Spec to shoot indoors around Chicago is pretty limited, additionally, we've got a limited amount of time and space.
    I shot a note out - hope that Leroy's post was in the right direction...

If all you're going to do is shoot a local match once a month you don't need to join USPSA either. If they don't have a classifier at the match you are going to go to, there really is no point in being a USPSA member for that match.

User Tag List