Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: USPSA Fee questions

Note also: Often the club contact person is NOT necessarily the match contact person. (Many times, the people who run discipline-specific matches are volunteers who love that sport, and so they aren't necessarily club officials or anything.) I don't know who exactly you tried to email, so if you emailed the match director, I'm sorry to hear they couldn't respond to a simple email in a timely fashion. If the person you tried to email wasn't the the match director, though, while that may say something about the club/range, that doesn't necessarily say anything about the match and match staff.

As many people have said: In most places, you do NOT have to be a member of the club/range to shoot USPSA matches there. (That's actually part of the USPSA affiliation agreement, that USPSA members must be allowed to shoot unless certain circumstances occur.)

When all else fails, call the match director or match contact person directly, and go through the anguish of having to speak directly to someone (bleck!). Generally, you'll find they are happy to give info and get you into competition shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by jthhapkido View Post
    Note also: Often the club contact person is NOT necessarily the match contact person. (Many times, the people who run discipline-specific matches are volunteers who love that sport, and so they aren't necessarily club officials or anything.) I don't know who exactly you tried to email, so if you emailed the match director, I'm sorry to hear they couldn't respond to a simple email in a timely fashion. If the person you tried to email wasn't the the match director, though, while that may say something about the club/range, that doesn't necessarily say anything about the match and match staff.

As many people have said: In most places, you do NOT have to be a member of the club/range to shoot USPSA matches there. (That's actually part of the USPSA affiliation agreement, that USPSA members must be allowed to shoot unless certain circumstances occur.)

When all else fails, call the match director or match contact person directly, and go through the anguish of having to speak directly to someone (bleck!). Generally, you'll find they are happy to give info and get you into competition shooting.
    I don't think speaking with someone in person is anguishing. Shooting off a quick email is pretty convenient though.

After not getting email back from them (Club not match director) I decided I would reach out here and see what other people's experience was. I've pretty much got my question answered. I do however wish that clubs would make the fact club membership isn't required a little clearer on their website.

At any rate thanks for your help everyone.

-Cory

You'll have to let us know how the match goes/whether you enjoyed it/etc after you shoot it. Best of luck, and hopefully you find it as fun as I do.

I can echo as a small time match director the last couple years, while I will try to get back to people immediately if they shoot me an email I'm the only one on the club board in their twenties. Club staff aren't always young techie guys related to the match, but if you do need them a phone call is usually the route to go.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

I am new to shooting matches so my experience is limited. So far of the 4 clubs I have shot IDPA or USPSA at none charged me for my first match. All were very encouraging with a "new shooter" waiver. On return you pay the match fee, but none made me join the club or national organization.

User Tag List