Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Entry "Precision Rifle" Range Toy - advice?

Site Supporter

Entry "Precision Rifle" Range Toy - advice?

I am "wanting" a 6.5CM or 260REM range toy. This is definitely a "Want" and not a "Need". Something to take some training on "long range" shooting - as in 1000 yards max. I definitely want 260 Rem or 6.5CM because I already have dies, brass, projectiles, etc. for those calibers. I am open to a range of rifle options from a $500 used Savage to a $2000 used semi-custom. Trying not to buy a $500 rifle then add so much stuff that it becomes a $2000 rifle though. I am not set on a specific brand of rifle or action. I will not compete on a regular basis in the PRS series for example. I have other rifles to hunt with in 260/6.5CM/3006. Optics, etc. are a separate discussion.

I have noticed that there are other manufacturers now offering competition to the RPR in "out of box" PRS type rifles but they are $1600 to $2000.

I think the "easy" answer is either Ruger Precision Rifle (about $1400) or a Tikka CTR (about $900). Any thoughts on other options? I do not think I want to spend the $$ on a custom or semicustom.

Site Supporter
    Savage 110 BA Stealth 6.5

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/110BAStealth

PE Kelley recently did a review on one. There should be a thread on it here somewhere

Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    I am "wanting" a 6.5CM or 260REM range toy. I think the "easy" answer is either Ruger Precision Rifle (about $1400) or a Tikka CTR (about $900). Any thoughts on other options? I do not think I want to spend the $$ on a custom or semicustom.
    I had this thought as well, and got the CTR in 6.5CM. It's an excellent shooter, but I dislike the stock, and have ordered an MDT HS3 chassis and buttstock. I expect it will be a $2000 rifle before I scope it.
    Last edited by SteveB; 12-02-2016 at 08:48 PM.

CTR in a chassis.

Now, let's talk glass.
    i used to wannabe

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    CTR in a chassis.

Now, let's talk glass.
    You have good taste. Do you like shooting stuff and budget bourbon?
    #RESIST

I love to shoot stuff. Is bourbon whiskey? I feel like I should know this?
    i used to wannabe

All bourbon is whiskey, not all whiskey is bourbon. yum.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Savage 110 BA Stealth 6.5

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/110BAStealth

PE Kelley recently did a review on one. There should be a thread on it here somewhere
    I did~! Thank you for remembering.

http://blog.defenderoutdoors.com/sav...6-5-creedmoor/

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by P.E. Kelley View Post
    That makes more sense! I was confused by the first link, because it showed the 110 BA Stealth as available only in .300 WM and .338 Lapua, and the 110 is Savage's long action, but your link is a review of the 10 BA Stealth, which is a short action, and available in .308 and 6.5 Creedmore.

A friend of mine got a 110 BA in .338 Lapua years ago, and I asked him why because he doesn't reload. It was really cool, but he ended up selling it with less than 50 rounds through it - just couldn't afford to shoot it. The .308 and 6.5 make a lot more sense for most folks.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    CTR in a chassis.

Now, let's talk glass.
    Well, since you bring it up...

I've been thinking (overthinking?) about glass for this rifle (Tikka CTR 6.5 CM in a chassis) for a couple of weeks now. I'm going to start by punching paper out to 300, but would like to be able to shoot some PRS down the road. This from the PRS website:

Reliable tracking scopes with 15x or 25x max power is what is typically used. Most tactical shooters prefer a Mil-based reticle and knobs because it is widely used and easily communicated. Also a scope with a First Focal Plane (FFP) is largely favored.

The Precision Rifle Blog is an excellent resource for all things PRS. This post looks at the most popular scope/reticle combos among PRS competitors:

http://precisionrifleblog.com/2015/1...-and-reticles/

One of my issues is that I've always thought "MOA" for hunting and distance shooting. I understand the appeal of mrad, base 10 and all that, but I still think in inches. I'm trying to figure out if I should make the effort and jump to a mil/mil scope for this game.

Another issue is cost; these scopes are pricey. Less expensive glass is out there, usually with some compromise. The Nightforce SHV is half the price of some of the above scopes, but their FFP scope is a 4-14X, and I wonder if that's enough magnification for PRS. On the plus side, I like their MOAR reticle. SWFA has this one; mil/mil but no zero-stop:

http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-HD-5-20x50-T...pe-P51653.aspx

So, to avoid re-inventing the wheel, I'd like to hear from guys who shoot PRS, or regularly shoot in the 500-1000 yard range, or who own any of these scopes and have opinions on glass/scope quality, reticle choice and so on.

User Tag List