Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Entry "Precision Rifle" Range Toy - advice?

Supporting Business CS Tactical's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveB View Post
    Got all the bits and pieces in yesterday, dropped the CTR into the MDT HS3 chassis last night, and headed to the range after work. CS Tactical hooked me up with a great price on a NF 4-16X. Not a lot of time to shoot today as the light was fading, but I managed one 3-shot 11/16" group at 200 with Hornady 140 gr ELD Match. First impressions: I like the HS3; the fore end is long enough so that the bipod and rifle feel solid. The polymer skins are nice; better than bare metal when it's cold. Lots of potential attachment points if I want to sling it up. Not crazy about the MDT Skeleton Lite stock; the push-button adjustments sound good, but are very stiff and difficult to move. Once I got the LOP sorted out, I found the cheek piece uncomfortable. It's easy to install and solid as a rock, but I need to find a different buttstock. The APA Little Bastard brake is gold; best I've used. The MDT 8-round mag fed fine; no issues in and out of the rifle.

Attachment 12335

Awesome setup Steve! Glad we can be of service.
    CS Tactical
    For the best pricing on Optics please PM or call 916.670.1103
    Dealer for Zero Compromise, Tangent Theta, Leupold,
    Nightforce, MDT, Vortex, XLR Industries and more...
    www.cstactical.com

Ranger--trying to answer your scope questions but your PM inbox is full.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Swapped out the MDT Skeleton Lite stock for a Magpul PRS; it's a bit heavier, but much more comfortable. I think it's a big improvement; works well with my Red-Tac rear bag:

Name:  hs3 - 1.jpg
Views: 2311
Size:  93.4 KB

Supporting Business CS Tactical's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveB View Post
    Swapped out the MDT Skeleton Lite stock for a Magpul PRS; it's a bit heavier, but much more comfortable. I think it's a big improvement; works well with my Red-Tac rear bag:

Name:  hs3 - 1.jpg
Views: 2311
Size:  93.4 KB

Nice setup Steve!
    CS Tactical
    For the best pricing on Optics please PM or call 916.670.1103
    Dealer for Zero Compromise, Tangent Theta, Leupold,
    Nightforce, MDT, Vortex, XLR Industries and more...
    www.cstactical.com

Site Supporter
    Name:  6.5CM_14JAN2017.jpg
Views: 740
Size:  36.1 KB

First attempt at 100 yards shooting the "new" rifle with my first load. Of course the one out of the group was the 5th round - I said ugly words.
    Last edited by ranger; 01-14-2017 at 09:00 PM.

Well done and nice build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is my first build done on an extreme budget for plinking and possibly hunting. I was never looking for a precision build, just something accurate enough with good ammo. So during Black Friday Remington had a rebate for various rifles so I bought a 700 SPS AAC chambered in 308 with a 20" barrel. Sold the stock, bought the Magpul 700 stock with DBM paired with an Athlon Argos BTR 6-24x50 on Talley High rings and a Harris bipod. My first outing with it I was hitting 1 MOA on average @ 100 yards, but the 2nd outing was a different story, as the following pictures will show. Please note, the pics were taken using my phone, holding it up to the spotting scope lens which has a ridiculously short eye relief. I had to go in and blacken the shots so you could actually see where I and my brother hit because you could barely see the shots with the low quality pics. I wouldve loved to keep the target but it was a no-go so now im seriously considering a digiscoping setup. Next time ill film the shots.

Anyways, my brother came with me to the range and I brought along a Celestron spotting scope. On the target, each square is 1-inch for reference. Off of rear sand bags and the bipod, I took my first 3 shots on the upper right target and my brother announced they were one hole right next to each other. "BULLSHIT!" I said. Looked through the spotting scope, and i seriously thought it was a fluke. Took another 3 shots at the target right under it. Same result. Keep in mind, this is only my second time out with this rifle but it was exhilarating to hit 3-shot groups like this, especially with the stock trigger. My brother tried, and firing it for the first time, he got the triangular 1 MOA group on the lower left target. He hasnt been hunting in years so I know it wasnt a fluke concerning the rifles accuracy if he did that on his first try. Adjusted the scope for a zero, which gives the group in the 1-inch square on the right. Ammo was PMC X-TAC 168gr loaded w/SMK. The groups in the upper left corner, center, and left 1-inch square were achieved using Ultramax 168gr loaded w/Speer BTHP.

Now im considering another build, especially after my experience with this budget build using another 700 but with a B&C stock and a Athon Ares scope which wouldnt qualify it as a budget build. But off of my original 700, Athon scope with Mapul stock, it goes to show what is capable on a budget of just under $1000 after it was all said and done. I was a beginner who was looking for 1 MOA rifle, and yet, I now want more ever since I hit those groups. Its challenging but addicting: breath control, trigger control, and most of all... Patience!

This may get expensive for me...

Name:  raw_first3shots.jpg
Views: 655
Size:  28.2 KBName:  20170130_170507-picsayD.jpg
Views: 562
Size:  36.8 KBName:  all_shots_full.jpg
Views: 587
Size:  27.4 KBName:  20170130_173711-picsayEA.jpg
Views: 599
Size:  50.6 KBName:  rifle_700.jpg
Views: 613
Size:  44.2 KB
    Last edited by coN; 02-01-2017 at 03:52 AM. Reason: bolded some important info

Is there anything lost with the T3X Tac A1? Checked them out at SHOT and the price doesn't seem obnoxious.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Site Supporter
    I found something at Cabela's today that seems to be an option for a low cost entry into "Precision Shooting" - especially for 6.5CM. A Savage 10T-SR Tactical Bolt Action Rifle with threaded barrel, AccuTrigger, AccuStock, 5R rifling, scope base rail, and extra big bolt handle in 223, 6.5Creedmoor, and 308. On sale plus a $75 rebate plus I got a 5% MIL discount. This model is supposed to be specific to Cabela's.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/shoot...Tz_stype%3DGNU

I have been looking for a similar rifle in 223 so I just picked one up tonight. I wanted a 223 bolt action rifle in a twist to shoot heavier bullets and this come in 1-9 for 223. Installed an AAC Flashhider suppressor mount and a Vortex HS LR FFP 4-16x50 with Weaver Tactical rings so I am ready to try it out. Have some 77 and 80 grain Nosler CC projectiles - I want to see if the 1-9 twist will shoot them well.

Site Supporter
    Name:  IMG_1266.jpg
Views: 538
Size:  61.4 KB

This is the original poster - I realized I never posted a picture of the rifle. Barreled action built by Accurate Ordnance of Winder GA. I added the AICS chassis and the Vortex PST 6-24x50 FFP MRAD scope.

User Tag List