Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sig 226 Legion SAO?

Just another data point - I have a 9mm SIG p229-1 that I got a few years ago. It has over 12k rounds through it and I think it's failed to cycle bad rounds maybe 2 or 3 times. It will eat just about any ammo I've come across, including some that my G19 will not. I only very recently replaced some springs (for standard maintenance) and even a couple thousand rounds past the recommended schedule it still ran like clockwork.
    Last edited by AO20; 12-03-2016 at 01:18 AM.

For reasons.....I actually want a SAO 226 Legion. I'm a die hard DA/SA fan for SIGs, but the SAO controls fit me well on the one I had an opportunity to shoot. The trigger was dang nice also.

Quote Originally Posted by gtmtnbiker98 View Post
    Form a functional standpoint, the Legion Series are as solid as any of the other Classic P Series. The only reported "issue" is regarding the PVD finish. These issues are often seen on the brand centric forums and is easily remedied by a wipe down with a silicon cloth and/or patch with whatever flavor lubrication oil you prefer.
    My only concern about the PVD finish is that with some of the specialty finishes, SIG did NOT anodize the frame before finishing the gun, so the finish is the only thing protecting the soft aluminum of the slide rails, drastically reducing frame life vs. the anodized guns. For a while the FDE MK25s were like this, and SIG claimed that the finish on the slide rails was merely "cosmetic," and would not warranty the guns. I'm assuming they got enough complaints, because the FDE MK25s from early 2015 on are first anodized, then have the FDE finish applied after--if you field strip the gun, the rails and some of the internals are black, and you can see where the FDE was sprayed on.

I'm not sure if this is the case with the Legion guns--if the frame is anodized THEN finished in PVD, I'd have no problem. If the frame is just PVD over naked aluminum, I would steer clear.

Quote Originally Posted by gtmtnbiker98 View Post
    As for the long extractor, I was also a long time detractor; however, I have a DA/SA P226 Legion and it has been running fine with just shy of 2,000 rounds through it. There hasn't been any reported issues with the function of the recent manufactured guns. IF you do buy one, I highly recommend that you purchase MecGar magazines and do not use the supplied Checkmate magazines until after you have vetted the pistol. That way, any stoppages cannot be attributed to the Checktrash magazines.
    I had issues with my long extractor P226 due to a bad spring, but SIG fixed it in short order. The long extractor springs are advertised as a 20,000 round part, but several people on P-F have run into issues at around the 8,000 round count IRRC, so I personally would treat the long extractor springs as 5,000 round parts (I will admit I am a little more cautious with spring replacements than others might be, so YMMV).

I do have a Legacy (short extractor) P229 from 2014, and it has been a great gun--best trigger of all of my SIGs (ranging from 2004-2014), and no issues. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a current-era SIG.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by DocSabo40 View Post
    Another minor point, and I doubt this is typical, but my 229 is not all that accurate. My gun is good for about 2.7" at 25yds, making it one of the least accurate pistols I own. It is also the most reliable, which is why I continue to carry it.
    Is that a 9mm or .40? Seems like 9mm 229s are a lot harder to find. I've seen more ammo sensitivity in .40s generally than in 9mm.

Regarding Legion triggers, there is a scatter with both Legion and standard triggers. Some are better than others. Assuming something like a normal distribution, the Legions are centered "nicer" than the standard ones, but there are plenty of Legions out there that are indistinguishable from a standard SRT with a basic fluff-n-buff cleanup that stays away from the SA release edges.

According to the reports I've read, Sig will not do any kind of after-sale action work to improve an SAO P series trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Is that a 9mm or .40?
    9mm. I've benched about 20 different loads, and while it's very consistent, nothing has broken the 2.7" mark. Most are between 2.8" and 4". Chris over at Lucky Gunner got similar results, but his would group HSTs well.

I'm sure the gun is within acceptable accuracy specs, but my other production guns will shoot under 2", so I've just come to expect that.

Regarding the P226 SAO, I tested one of the non-Legion guns for American Rifleman about 3 years ago. It was excellent.

https://www.americanrifleman.org/art...226-elite-sao/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Regarding the P226 SAO, I tested one of the non-Legion guns for American Rifleman about 3 years ago. It was excellent.

https://www.americanrifleman.org/art...226-elite-sao/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I have one too and I agree with everything you said. The position of the safety also prevents me from holding the slide catch down but does slow down reloads. Mine doesn't like Freedom munitions steel case stuff but is 100% with everything else.

Quote Originally Posted by jck397 View Post
    My only concern about the PVD finish is that with some of the specialty finishes, SIG did NOT anodize the frame before finishing the gun, so the finish is the only thing protecting the soft aluminum of the slide rails, drastically reducing frame life vs. the anodized guns. For a while the FDE MK25s were like this, and SIG claimed that the finish on the slide rails was merely "cosmetic," and would not warranty the guns. I'm assuming they got enough complaints, because the FDE MK25s from early 2015 on are first anodized, then have the FDE finish applied after--if you field strip the gun, the rails and some of the internals are black, and you can see where the FDE was sprayed on.

I'm not sure if this is the case with the Legion guns--if the frame is anodized THEN finished in PVD, I'd have no problem. If the frame is just PVD over naked aluminum, I would steer clear.

I had issues with my long extractor P226 due to a bad spring, but SIG fixed it in short order. The long extractor springs are advertised as a 20,000 round part, but several people on P-F have run into issues at around the 8,000 round count IRRC, so I personally would treat the long extractor springs as 5,000 round parts (I will admit I am a little more cautious with spring replacements than others might be, so YMMV).

I do have a Legacy (short extractor) P229 from 2014, and it has been a great gun--best trigger of all of my SIGs (ranging from 2004-2014), and no issues. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a current-era SIG.
    To the best of my knowledge, the frames of the Legions Series are hard chromed prior to the PVD application. The little bit of frame wear that I am seeing differs from that of my regular hardcoat anodized SIG frames. The wear shows to be gold in color as opposed to the standard silver (aluminum).

Site Supporter
    [QUOTE=jck397;532580]My only concern about the PVD finish is that with some of the specialty finishes, SIG did NOT anodize the frame before finishing the gun, so the finish is the only thing protecting the soft aluminum of the slide rails, drastically reducing frame life vs. the anodized guns. For a while the FDE MK25s were like this, and SIG claimed that the finish on the slide rails was merely "cosmetic," and would not warranty the guns. I'm assuming they got enough complaints, because the FDE MK25s from early 2015 on are first anodized, then have the FDE finish applied after--if you field strip the gun, the rails and some of the internals are black, and you can see where the FDE was sprayed on.

I contacted my go to guy at Sig customer service and he said that ALL aluminum frames are anodized before they are coated. He said only the steel frames are not anodized (of course). I have two Sigs with the frame completely coated, a FDE P227 and a M11A1 desert, so I had to check this out. I also have a MK25 desert and the frame rails are not coated.

User Tag List